What could this be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clownprince

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V8
Finally got under the new Ram I bought, 99 1500 5.2 4X4, and found some stuff I was unsure about. The first picture is where the rear driveshaft leaves the transfer case, looks like its been shifting in and out. Possibly shaft movement from bad pinion bearing? I do get the "clunk" going into reverse.

Also the fluid that was gathering in the same area was black so I'm sure I need the transmission serviced, not sure if it's ever been done.

What do you guys recommend?uploadfromtaptalk1448206823063.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1448206938701.jpg

Also have some what look like holes in the back of the front differential, do these look normal?
uploadfromtaptalk1448207040220.jpg

ramburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
you will want to remove the driveshaft and check to see if there is a snapring in the shaft after you take off the rear t-case houseing. get a new seal as well (the black thing). you will also want to order the "transfercase saver), google and buy, and put in place of where the snapring is/was.

as far as the holes in the diff i wouldnt worry about it as you wouldnt be losing fluid from there but for sure weird and my bet is had a custom diff guard set up at one point

Last edited: