My TT is 3,980lbs (510lbs tongue wt) , do I still need to use a weight distribution h

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The hippie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
My TT is 3,980lbs (510lbs tongue wt) , do I still need to use a weight distribution hitch/system if my tow vehicle is Ram 2500 diesel (max tow 17,000+ lbs), or is the regular non wt dist hitch will do or safe in this setup?

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
Well, a regular non WD hitch would likely be safe. How much extra stuff do you usually put in the truck bed? Do you have to use a drop hitch and if so how long? There are a lot of factors to consider.

Main issue (IMO) is in an emergency with 4k pounds pushing on the trailer hitch.. how much will that unload the front end if the trailer brakes fail and you have to make an emergency stop? That's where a WD hitch can become very important.

Another benchmark I've heard is IF the TT GROSS weight is 50% or more of your tow vehicle GVWR (not GCVWR) then you should definately use a WD hitch. I have a feeling you're not there, in my case my TT gross weight is 3850 and towed with a 1500 that has s 6900# GVWR over 50% for sure... I would tow with a load carrying hitch but would not do so for a long trip.

Last edited:

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Is that dry weight or loaded? Scale numbers or estimated? Diesel payloads for the the 2500 can be deceptive. Check yer door placard. Some states require wd/sway control on TT's over 3k

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
Is that dry weight or loaded? Scale numbers or estimated? Diesel payloads for the the 2500 can be deceptive. Check yer door placard. Some states require wd/sway control on TT's over 3k
I believe you're confusing trailer brake requirements with WD hitch.. I'm unaware of any state laws related to WD hitches.

Manufacturers always require WD hitches to get the full tow rating (AFAIK) that would affect warranty and probably liability in an accident.

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
State of FLA won't let you off of the dealer lot w/o one if yer over 3. Yer right, though, probably just liability.

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
WD hitches have a lot of advantages safety wise, mostly in emergency situations. I'm pretty sure I don't require one however they're not all that expensive.. you get used to hooking up and it becomes pretty quick..

OP
OP
T

The hippie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins

3980 lbs includes the built in fridge air con microwave some tools and few clothes and blankets.

I got the 3980 lbs on the weighing scale.

OP
OP
T

The hippie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
WD hitches have a lot of advantages safety wise, mostly in emergency situations. I'm pretty sure I don't require one however they're not all that expensive.. you get used to hooking up and it becomes pretty quick..

I have WD hitch however I don't have a drop down hitch receiver. The ram 2500 is too tall and makes the TT tilt up. And if I can get a drop down receive I wonder if it is capable with the WD.

mjpbtu.jpg

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
Most WD hitches come with an adjustable shank, how much depends but you can buy WD shanks in various sizes. Definitely get that nose down, sitting like that it'll catch a lot of air at speed which can take weight off the wheels.. get into a side wind and it may be time for a change of pants!

Least of all get a regular drop hitch to bring the trailer lever or slightly nose down.

I would suggest a WD hitch with sway control, that's a long trailer.. not terribly heavy but a lot of surface area.

You might want to read this: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-...itches/towing-weight-distribution-systems.htm

and this: http://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx

Between those two that should give you a good overview of what a WD hitch is, the parts involved, advantages..recommendations..etc..

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

The hippie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Most WD hitches come with an adjustable shank, how much depends but you can buy WD shanks in various sizes. Definitely get that nose down, sitting like that it'll catch a lot of air at speed which can take weight off the wheels.. get into a side wind and it may be time for a change of pants!

Least of all get a regular drop hitch to bring the trailer lever or slightly nose down.

I would suggest a WD hitch with sway control, that's a long trailer.. not terribly heavy but a lot of surface area.

You might want to read this: How Towing Weight Distribution Systems Work - HowStuffWorks

and this: Common Weight Distribution and Sway Control Questions | etrailer.com

Between those two that should give you a good overview of what a WD hitch is, the parts involved, advantages..recommendations..etc..
The shank is adjustable however once I put the hitch one notch down the bottom bolt won't be able to be bolted anymore to the shank coz it's down at the last notch.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The shank is adjustable however once I put the hitch one notch down the bottom bolt won't be able to be bolted anymore to the shank coz it's down at the last notch.
Check out eTrailer.com. they have extended drop shanks for WDH systems. Also, if you have a Northern Tool or farm&tractor supply near by you might be able to pick one up there. I never pull a TT without a WDH.

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
Indeed.. you'll need a new shank that will drop.. I'm guessing 2-3" more than you have now.