Why am I getting new scratches every time I wash my truck!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I am not new to a wash mit, I am not new to washing cars, detailing, etc. I would say I do not have tons of experience with waxes, buffing at that level of detailing. But nonetheless I have done my share of elbow grease and turtle wax back in the day when I had my first truck out of high school.

I bought a Chemical Guys micro fiber wash mit and after every dip wash I spray it off then dip in another bowl, the two bucket method essentially. I know the dealership did a cheaper silicone base quick buff and I am finding new minor scratches as I wash as I expected.

But some places I am finding new scratches and I cannot figure out why!!! Below my drivers door is a new cluster of 10-12 scratches about 2" in length and mostly straight with minor sways in them. They dont look like perfect lines by any means.

My buddy is going to do a real buff job here in a few weeks so I didnt panic but I need to figure this out for post buff.

Maybe the new drying towel I got? It's a nice waffle style microfiber. Maybe just crazy bad luck and a grit got on my wash mit?

roastpuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have grit guards in your wash buckets? I use those and it helps to remove the grit from my wash mitt/sponge and so on.

I've noticed that our paint is pretty soft as well, so that might be another cause.

Jhighers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Penstar
The scratches along the rockers could be from the dirt kicked up by the tires. Wash mits can only do so much in padding some of the dirt. Rinsing with a good pressure washer before you wash would be the first thing I would try. Not blow the paint off pressure, but more than enough to clean the paint of the large debris.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I always pressure wash my truck prior to washing it. Also look into changing your mitt, maybe is has gotten contaminated with something. A lot of times those get contaminates on them that do not come off while washing in the bucket.

But all in all I would start with the most likely culprit being the wash mitt

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys, Mit is brand new from chemical guys via Amazon. I think I will put it and my new drying towel through the wash. I will get the grit guard too, do all the standard operating procedures. Also I need to buy a basic pressure washer anyway for around the new house so I will have that too.

I know rocker panels get banged up and I actually was thinking of doing Line-x on them. The strip 7-8 inches that slants down to road. The first owner did a bit of highway driving and they are a little scuffed up. You can see it unless you get up close. I also just installed Mopar OEM splash guards so that should help my case.

I was trying to nail down the Chemical guys products. What do you guys use? Basic was solution and maybe a finishing spray/wipe/wax after drying? I am kinda OCD about clean truck :)

Just want to get it figured out for after my buff job is done!

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
some good tips already mentioned, i will just say make sure everything that touches your truck is CLEAN. When I polish or wax I do everything in a straight line ie no circular type motions. I am lucky as my truck never sees anything but dust so that makes cleanup so much easier. Good luck.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Micro fiber mitt, grit guard and spray as much of the dirt first off before actually starting to wash. I always leave just below the door till the last(right before the tires and wheels) cause that seems to catch the most dirt and grime. Always make sure the surface is wet before you wash(sometimes the surface dries a little after you hose it off initially). Remember, every time you touch your paint, with whatever, a towel, your hand, a wash mitt, anything, you are going to leave small scratches. Some you will see, and some you won't it all depends on the light and angle you are looking at the surface. If you put a "coating" on your truck, that will reduce the amount of scratches but you will still get them, just not as bad.
Jay

MattHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
some good tips already mentioned, i will just say make sure everything that touches your truck is CLEAN. When I polish or wax I do everything in a straight line ie no circular type motions. I am lucky as my truck never sees anything but dust so that makes cleanup so much easier. Good luck.

Great tips around here. I'm doing the straight line too thinking the circular motion could make visible scratches.

Dartswinger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought an MTM Foam Lance and Ryobi electric pressure washer. Cover it in foam and let it sit before I pressure wash it off. Then I foam it again and use a mitt. Works great for getting most of the dirt off first without any "contact" with the paint.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought an MTM Foam Lance and Ryobi electric pressure washer. Cover it in foam and let it sit before I pressure wash it off. Then I foam it again and use a mitt. Works great for getting most of the dirt off first without any "contact" with the paint.

I have the MTM and gas Ryobi. I spray with the PW and then cover it in foam (Mr Pink from Chem Guys) and then rinse with RO/DI water thru the PW. Most times that is all I have to do. Do not even have to touch the truck with a mitt. Do not even have to dry it. However I do have two coatings on my truck.

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is a great video on a safe two bucket wash!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvRPwcojmso&feature=youtu.be

Thanks! I felt I was being pretty dang safe but apparently not. I believe a good bit of the minor scratches were now showing after a cheap silicone base buff job from the dealership. But I know four swirl scratches about 5" in diameter were from my microfiber CB wash mit. Just want to have my products and processes nailed down for AFTER my buff job in two weeks now.

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good quality soap with plenty of suds. The lubricity prevents scratches when the dirt is removed. Keeping it waxed can help also.

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good quality soap with plenty of suds. The lubricity prevents scratches when the dirt is removed. Keeping it waxed can help also.

nice, I was using some Meguire's but am thinking I will try some Chem Bros suds :)

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just got my "weekender kit" from autogeek. But the stuff that comes with it helps to compliment CQUARTZ which is a sealant. I'm having a guy do a major detail on mine when I drop it off next Friday and he is going to apply the CQAURTZ which is a sealant. From what I've learned, after he does this I need a bucket with grit guard, wool mitt, the reload car wash, and then the reset spray. The kit was $75 and the wash was like $40. The detail job will be $350, but it lasts for two years as long as you take care of it. Just do some research online. JUNKMAN2000 on YouTube has EXCELLENT videos to watch and learn from. He dries his cars with water...yes, dries with water. It's good stuff.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Lots of good advice here. I'm going to have to modify my tactics a bit now. I am super **** about my car and it is flawless. But, it only gets driven in the summer, only occasionally in the rain, and never goes on dirt, gravel, etc. so it makes keeping it looking good much easier. I never cared about the finish on my Jeep because it was a beater. My truck replaced it and it is technically my beater now, but it is in awesome shape so I feel obligated to keep it looking good.