New truck - when do I start getting the mileage on the window sticker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’ve only driven my new 23 Limited about 130 miles so far so so my question is probably premature. The dealer filled it up prior to pickup and today I flipped over to look at mileage so far (around town) and it’s showing 13.5. I’ve been driving it like an old man while getting used to it (and I am pretty old) so I’m wondering if I’m really going to see some close to 17mpg around town?

I have the 3.92 rear which I was initially glad of since I figured it would add pep around town and with all the high overdrive gears in the transmissions anymore, I figured it wouldn’t hurt highway mileage much. Plus the 17/19/22 mileage ratings are are the same for the 3 different rear ends. But I’m getting a little suspicious that I may have little chance of seeing those figures.

So, what are you seeing with the e-torque 2023s? Are the 17/19/22 ratings a pipe dream? My old 2003 Ford Lightning only got 13 mpg and that was before I started doing a few mods. But it accelerated Like crazy and weighed 1000 lbs less.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:welcome: I do not have a E Torque, but it will be a while till truck breaks in, at least a couple of thousand. OH, and the Fairy tale numbers on the Moroney sticker, yeah ok., I get 13-17 around town and 16-21 on highway. But I also have better heavier tires than stock, and use cruise to the utmost on highway. I found the numbers leveled off after a couple thousand, but alas, it is a Hemi.

FTR, the lie -o -meter in the truck lies a lil to the positive usually. U would need to fill and hand calculate the same ways a few times to get accurate numbers.

ALSO, mileage on these rolling computers depend upon so much> driving habits, MX on truck, proper PSI in tires, weather, wind, fuel used as in Top Tier fuel, not Mom and Pop, extra weight U carry in truck, towing, your slightly higher gear ratio, roadway, hills, traffic, and and and. Just a lot there.

OP
OP
DanAR

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not ultimately - I would have stayed with my Toyota SUV in that case. I would just like to not get hurt too badly and somewhat compete with my brother-in-laws with their GMC and Chevy pickup fuel mileage bragging.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve only driven my new 23 Limited about 130 miles so far so so my question is probably premature. The dealer filled it up prior to pickup and today I flipped over to look at mileage so far (around town) and it’s showing 13.5. I’ve been driving it like an old man while getting used to it (and I am pretty old) so I’m wondering if I’m really going to see some close to 17mpg around town?

I have the 3.92 rear which I was initially glad of since I figured it would add pep around town and with all the high overdrive gears in the transmissions anymore, I figured it wouldn’t hurt highway mileage much. Plus the 17/19/22 mileage ratings are are the same for the 3 different rear ends. But I’m getting a little suspicious that I may have little chance of seeing those figures.

So, what are you seeing with the e-torque 2023s? Are the 17/19/22 ratings a pipe dream? My old 2003 Ford Lightning only got 13 mpg and that was before I started doing a few mods. But it accelerated Like crazy and weighed 1000 lbs less.
The "EPA" fuel mileage numbers come from other-world conditions that are VERY highly unlikely that the average person will ever obtain. They are meant as guidelines.... Ever notice the disclaimer? "Your mileage may vary"?

Unfortunately, these numbers create a mental expectation, and most folks gloss over the fact that "Your mileage may vary" is double speak for... You do not drive like a blue haired grandmother, nor do you ("You" is a generic term for the public). You do not plan coast down stops over exceedingly long plane, you don't accelerate as though you have 2 hours to get to your local destination. You do not necessarily use the same brand of fuel used in these mileage evaluations; You do not necessarily operate the vehicle with the same accessories draining mileage; you do not necessarily operate the vehicle in the myriad of ideal conditions the EPA evaluations are derived from.

I've always gotten close to the EPA numbers because I chiefly DO drive like a blue haired granny. (It angers som who follow behind me, but they go around eventually.

In a nutshell, comparing your results to other folks may give you a LOOSE benchmark, YOUR mileage will vary! Peace!

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's a big difference between cruising at 90km/h and 110km/h. I've been testing it over the last two weeks on a 2 hour (one way) commute. By setting cruise control at 100, I was able to repeatedly get 9.8 or 9.9L/100km. So like 24mpg.

Same drive at 110km/h had me at 12L/100km, or 19mpg.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not ultimately - I would have stayed with my Toyota SUV in that case. I would just like to not get hurt too badly and somewhat compete with my brother-in-laws with their GMC and Chevy pickup fuel mileage bragging.
GMC and Chevy are identical.... so ... there's that. "Bragging" Really? 6000+ pounds of iron and cargo going down the highway don't care whose moniker is on the grille. Physics are the overlord rules, regardless.

Less mass equals better (more efficiency) conversion of heat energy to kinetic energy. The plus side? In a head on collision at, say 60 MPH, the difference in weight has a inertial coefficience of square to the tenth? IIRC. the amount that weight. In short the heavier vehicle wins the joust! Ever seen the Semi-truck opposed to any smaller passenger vehicle? Yeah...

After nearly being killed in 1984 in a small vehicle in a major accident... I'll pay for the fuel to have protection of a larger vehicle. In my case, my vehicles ARE smaller than your 4-door double chubby chuck ride, but they weigh in excess of 3400 pounds. MUCH heavier than the econobox I was driving in '84. Two have full frame.

zrock

Reaction score
the fuel economy on the window sticker are in very controlled environments that you will never see on in the real world or even come close..

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP: BOIRD has answer to all:

1) It's a Hemi, not made for fuel mileage, but if U drive it not being a scalded dog, you will get decent numbers.
2) All of what I stated above in post #2 applies.
3) Competing 5500-6500 lb trucks in a mpg race is just a moot point.
4) Comparing to GMC/CHEVY: If they have the 5.3/6.2 Eco Trash Motors: see which one grenades first. Known AFM/DFM issue.
5) FINALLY: Quit worrying, drive it, expecially since U have all the Bells & Whistles in the Limited, Enjoy it, and maintain it properly with Good Filters, Fluids etc, and quit worrying about MPG. If U worry about that so much, get U a PRIUS and put a RAM Logo on it, or better yet, get one of the new all electric RAM Rev's coming out in either late 2024 or 2025. They get excellent MPG, unlimited mpg. Charging/range who knows. :33::Big Laugh:

DA BOIRD

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If your going to let your brother in laws bragging ( Please re read post #3 ) run your life, just buy what they buy. I bought my Ram to WORK. Fuel economy was not a factor. I get 12 driving around, and between 8 and 9 towing the camper. Not ashamed and not afraid of it. When I get in and go, it goes! Drives well, looks Great! Get's it Done. I'll eat chevy's and cr*p gmc's all day long. ;)

lezmark7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was in the same place just a few weeks ago. I am close to 1500 miles now and mpg has improved a lot - from 13/14 to 16/18 combined. I was actually thinking about going back to the dealer and say something is wrong. Never had a new motor take so long. Love truck BTW!

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
You won't get those numbers. Those are derived from perfect atmospheric conditions, flat ground, etc. You rarely ever see those conditions in the real world.

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's a big difference between cruising at 90km/h and 110km/h. I've been testing it over the last two weeks on a 2 hour (one way) commute. By setting cruise control at 100, I was able to repeatedly get 9.8 or 9.9L/100km. So like 24mpg.

Same drive at 110km/h had me at 12L/100km, or 19mpg.
On my pentastar i find best mileage at 95 rather then at limit which is 80km/h i think at 1500 rpm it just does better then at 80 with 1200 rpm.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP: BOIRD has answer to all:

1) It's a Hemi, not made for fuel mileage, but if U drive it not being a scalded dog, you will get decent numbers.
2) All of what I stated above in post #2 applies.
3) Competing 5500-6500 lb trucks in a mpg race is just a moot point.
4) Comparing to GMC/CHEVY: If they have the 5.3/6.2 Eco Trash Motors: see which one grenades first. Known AFM/DFM issue.
5) FINALLY: Quit worrying, drive it, expecially since U have all the Bells & Whistles in the Limited, Enjoy it, and maintain it properly with Good Filters, Fluids etc, and quit worrying about MPG. If U worry about that so much, get U a PRIUS and put a RAM Logo on it, or better yet, get one of the new all electric RAM Rev's coming out in either late 2024 or 2025. They get excellent MPG, unlimited mpg. Charging/range who knows. :33::Big Laugh:

DA BOIRD
I'm waiting for the little elves who once baked Keebler cookies in a tree in the forest to decide to work again. Perhaps they can make fairy dust fuel enhancer! Then we can all get 100+ MPG! ;)

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm waiting for the little elves who once baked Keebler cookies in a tree in the forest to decide to work again. Perhaps they can make fairy dust fuel enhancer! Then we can all get 100+ MPG! ;)
Me thinks that 100 mpg can be reached. JUST buy you a 2024/25 wheneva they come out RAM REV, all electric. Than U get unlimited MPG's.

Yeah, them elves make good cookies tho.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
GMC and Chevy are identical.... so ... there's that. "Bragging" Really? 6000+ pounds of iron and cargo going down the highway don't care whose moniker is on the grille. Physics are the overlord rules, regardless.

Less mass equals better (more efficiency) conversion of heat energy to kinetic energy. The plus side? In a head on collision at, say 60 MPH, the difference in weight has a inertial coefficience of square to the tenth? IIRC. the amount that weight. In short the heavier vehicle wins the joust! Ever seen the Semi-truck opposed to any smaller passenger vehicle? Yeah...

After nearly being killed in 1984 in a small vehicle in a major accident... I'll pay for the fuel to have protection of a larger vehicle. In my case, my vehicles ARE smaller than your 4-door double chubby chuck ride, but they weigh in excess of 3400 pounds. MUCH heavier than the econobox I was driving in '84. Two have full frame.
In the Navy, we call that "The Rule of Gross Tonnage".

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Nused (new to me) 1500 2020 with a Hemi (non etourqe) and I have the short bed, full 4-door cab, 275/55/R20 factory tires. My truck has approx 33k miles, I get approximately 21 mpg on the highway using cruise 70-72 mph. Around town/errands 18-19 mpg. I drive very carefully (slow per the wife) coast a lot, and slowly accelerate, I use top-tier fuel as much as possible. I would guess as you complete the break-in process your mileage will improve.

BlueHemi1500