How to Add Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) to a Manual Temperature Control Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
So do you guys got a harness for us that have the 8.4 radio from the factory??? If I read the thread right I need the following to make work in my truck....

1) Harness
2) Cabin temp sensor
3) OBD Genie

Anything else I'm missing???

correct. I did precisely that. I have a factory 8.4 with nav. I recommend their cable. It is well made and a perfect fit.

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ATC bezel mod notes copied to posts 3 & 8. I need to remember to upload this to Flickr so they don't get deleted later by Tapatalk's host server.

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

I planned on covering up the passenger up/down buttons with some black vinyl.... outta sight, outta mind.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
So do you guys got a harness for us that have the 8.4 radio from the factory??? If I read the thread right I need the following to make work in my truck....

1) Harness
2) Cabin temp sensor
3) OBD Genie

Anything else I'm missing???

Nope that's it. Send @DeereGuy a pm and he will get you setup with the harness you need.

jfaubin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
correct. I did precisely that. I have a factory 8.4 with nav. I recommend their cable. It is well made and a perfect fit.

How manytime to install? It is possible to use another method without obd genie? 200$ for just one function. the price is very to high from obd genie.

STecoD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Crew Cab Tradesman
Engine
3.0L Diesel
How manytime to install? It is possible to use another method without obd genie? 200$ for just one function. the price is very to high from obd genie.

When you program the Genie it also reads your VIN and locks it to that truck. You could buy the Autoenginuity tool for more but it also does more. I went with OBD genie because the AE tool corrupts the brand. I also have someone close by that is a great help that has one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfaubin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
MPGrimm and I have been working on figuring out how to convert our trucks from manual temperature control to automatic temperature control. We have made enough progress to prove that it can be done and want to share what we have learned with everyone.

This is a pretty easy and inexpensive mod in terms of parts. You basically need to buy a cabin temperature sensor, a connector, and some terminals and put it all together using an existing 8.4 conversion harness. The trouble with this mod, is that the feature has to be activated in the BCM. I used my AutoEngenuity tool to activate the feature, but unlike activating some other features where it was a smooth process, this caused corruption of my trucks “vehicle brand” which caused the 8.4 Radio to loose it logo and themes. I have not found a way to correctly reset the brand. If you have the AE tool, and want to try this mod, please be aware of this issue. I have not encountered any other problems with the truck due to this issue, but proceed at your own risk.

Anyways onto the mod:

Parts Needed:

(1) 55111178AC – CABIN AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR
(1) 1-929170-4 – 4 WAY Connector Shell for Temperature Sensor
(4) 963715-1 – Female Terminals for 1-929170-4 (Temperature Sensor Connector)
(2) 1123343-1 – Female Terminals for 1318917 (HVAC Module Connector

Conversion Harness Modification

You will need to pin two new wires into pins 11 and 12 of the HVAC module side conector of the conversion harness. These wires will run from the HVAC module to behind the drivers side kick panel where the Cabing Air Temperature Sensor will be located (more on that below). I made my wires 80" in length. You will also need to splice wire # 2 for fused ignition power and wire #14 for ground. These will run to a new connector for the temperature sensor (1-929170-4). The following schematic shows how to wire it up.

ATC%20Diagram_zpsljkqc9ua.jpg

Here's what my conversion harness looked ike after adding the temperature sensor wiring. Notice the new leg off of the harness. It is shown with the sensor attached.

35706977336_29880ce55d_k.jpgIMG_0812 by Deere Guy, on Flickr

Installing the Temperature Sensor

The temperature sensor is located behind the driver side knee kick panel. You will need to remove the panel and install the sensor.

1. Remove the two screws at the bottom of the panel and then pull the panel off.
35706977236_108e5ae796_k.jpgIMG_0809 by Deere Guy, on Flickr

2. Install the sensor.
35706977276_4b5d432641_k.jpgIMG_0811 by Deere Guy, on Flickr

3. Route the new leg of the conversion harness over to the sensor and plug it in.
IMG_0807_zpsqxlu3rhy.jpg

4. Reinstall the knee kick panel.

Activating with AutoEngenuity

Note: Do this at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything that may happen to your truck as a result from performing this modification.

1. Connect the AE tool to the truck.
2. After selecting the truck, connect to the Body Control Module.
3. Select the "Test Onboard Systems" tab
4. Select Module Configuration from the drop down.
5 . Select "Initiate"
6. Accept the warning message.
7. Using the arrows on each side of the done button, scroll down to "vehicle config 3".
8. Press Done.
9. Using the arrow buttons select" HVAC Config" press Done.
10. Using the arrow buttons select "Dual Zone ATC" and select Done.
11. Wait for the write to complete.
12. Reboot the radio by pressing both knobs simultaneously for a few seconds.
13. Repeat the above process but this time select "Single Zone ATC"
14. Reboot the radio again.

As you can see in the picture below, I have mine set for a single zone automatic temperature control. I am using a standard MTC bezel, and just using the "Auto" button on the radio to switch it into Automatic mode.

35706977346_fb21946f05_k.jpgIMG_0813 by Deere Guy, on Flickr

i have a question. i would buy a sensor and cable from you.
Where to buy this cable?
also, what do you say by:

i find old AETOOL 1.3. What is your version and waht is the plus used for connecting to the trucjk? Please explain more.

Regards
J-F

OP
OP
DeereGuy

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
i have a question. i would buy a sensor and cable from you.

Where to buy this cable?

also, what do you say by:

i find old AETOOL 1.3. What is your version and waht is the plus used for connecting to the trucjk? Please explain more.

Regards

J-F

If you would like a harness, please send me a PM with your information and I'll help you get one ordered.

As for the AE version, the current version is 15.20. Seems like you have a really old version. You would need the AE ST-06 scan tool that plugs into the odb2 port and the laptop and the EI-04 Chrysler enhanced package. You can find all of the details for AE @ https://www.autoenginuity.com/products/scantool/. I would hazard to guess that version 1.3 will not work.

It's a lot less expensive with the Genie and it doesn't corrupt your BCM.

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Just added the Automatic Climate Control to my Ram R/T and I couldn't be more pleased. It is an extremely simple install that works great!!! Special thanks to DeereGuy for a very professional wiring harness, and also to OBD Genie for making a simple to use programmer that does the job!!! Kudos to all involved in making this work...

Jdavismp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Schematic

Does any one have the schematic, couldn't find it on this thread. Or a list of what pins the wires go into on both the HVAC module and thermostat.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Last edited:

duunoit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I thought there was one in the beginning of this thread, but it looks like photobucket isn't displaying it.

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
quick note to say thanks again for this mod - works great and the quality of your wiring is impeccable. :happy107:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Just an update for those that completed the Single Zone ATC conversion. M² Mods can now offer the following ...

- NEW 11/1/17! Single Zone MTC to Sgl Zone ATC Bezel Conversion Service: $160-$200 (Labor & Rtn Ship.)
This is a pre-modified board installed/exchanged in customer's MTC Bezel with Auto/Off Center knob. No spare parts returned.
Based on part availability.
Note: $120 (if you provide both a working Dual Zone & Single Zone bezel to be combined/Modified. Takes about 8 hrs)

9f4b308038ffac55312f5d5d0ab81bde.jpg

Last edited:

Alex_cad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
quick question
I've removed the kick panel and the sensor is there already and wiring is attached.
Should it be enough just to flush the BCM?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
quick question
I've removed the kick panel and the sensor is there already and wiring is attached.
If you are confident the wiring is in place and correct, then yes. Just be aware of the issues activating it as mentioned in the OP.
(Did your 16 SLT EcoD come with a dual zone ATC and 8.4 radio? Not sure why you'd have the wiring otherwise)

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeereGuy

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
quick question

Take a look at the connector that plugs into the HVAC module and see if pins 11 and 12 are populated. If they are you should be good to go. The picture below shows the connector not populated with those 2 pins.

ac1283ecabec2b25f199371772a15180.jpg

Alex_cad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
If you are confident the wiring is in place and correct, then yes. Just be aware of the issues activating it as mentioned in the OP.
(Did your 16 SLT EcoD come with a dual zone ATC and 8.4 radio? Not sure why you'd have the wiring otherwise)

It came with 8.4 ra3 radio but single heat.