2002 5.9 Magnum:Fabricating Your Own CAI Box, Using-

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Using Part of your stock one.

I'm using this photo to show what I'm working on-----the top half on mine is made of plexi the bottom half is part of my old intake box just like the photo.
afe-54-10381_w.jpg

Heres what mine looks like in pieces:
Shield.jpg
Shield2.jpg

And here I'm letting the epoxi dry:
Shield1.jpg

I have the top cut out, I just need to place a few pieces of plexi squares in each corner than epoxi it then drill a few small holes then I can screw the top on.
After that I will need to epoxi glue the pottom half and I was thinking of buying some silver ceramic paint and start on that.

it's not a perfect box but at least it will close off the filter from the hot engine.

OP
OP
johnnysart

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ok heres what I did today, I cut these square like pieces of plexi glass then used the epoxi glue to affix them to each corner of the box. That way I can drill a small hole into them and the top part of the box then I can just screw the top part on:
cai3.jpg

heres what I've done today. I painted the black part with this stone textured spray paint.
BEFORE:
cai12.jpg
AFTER:
cai11.jpg
Then I'll go over it with some black ceramic spray paint. I'm going to do the same with the sides of the plexi box so it looks more like a whole unite, and I'm thinking of airbrushing something on there.

Heres the gaskets I'm using for the top of the box and the intake hole so it's sealed nice and tight.
cai9.jpg
cai8.jpg
heres a pic of the top of the box I just need to drill a small hole on each of the squares and top at the same time but I need to flip it over and do that.
cai7.jpg.

OP
OP
johnnysart

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Heres what I did today---I picked up some black ceramic high temp spray paint and sprayed the bottom half then scuffed up the plexi box sides and sprayed it with the textured stuff then hit it with the black stuff.
cai13.jpg
cai14.jpg
cai15.jpg
cai16.jpg

Once the box is completed I will be airbrushing something on it to give it that custom look.

Heres the stencil I made:
IMG_0356.jpg
And heres the design airbrushed and added a little smoke coming up and it's clear coated with high temp clear:
A121.jpg

OP
OP
johnnysart

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I just looked for this right up I did a loooooong time ago on another site and copied it then posted here. I hope this helps some of you magnum guys out there though it seems like we are a dying breed.

Hudson69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
If you made one I would buy it.... I have a 5.9 Magnum and need a CAI

OP
OP
johnnysart

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If you made one I would buy it.... I have a 5.9 Magnum and need a CAI

I would love to make you one but I just have allot going on including a few projects for the truck I need to work on like some headlights I removed the markers and trying to paint and finishing the headlight restoration also as I bought these used.

Btw welcome to RF.

MopaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That looks amazing. I wish I could do something like that. But currently I don't have the time or the know-how to even start. Also loving the mopar cold air intake "decal." I need to find someone to do stuff like that for me. Also where in NM are we talking here?

OP
OP
johnnysart

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
That looks amazing. I wish I could do something like that. But currently I don't have the time or the know-how to even start. Also loving the mopar cold air intake "decal." I need to find someone to do stuff like that for me. Also where in NM are we talking here?

Albuquerque in the NE. How about you?