ATF related problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ajstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all. I'm brand new to the forum and brand new to dodge vehicles. I have a 2010 2500 5.7 which at present will not move. Everything was fine I parked the truck for a few hours then went to drive it agian and it just wouldn't engage a gear. No drive or reverse. It's got new atf which I checked and is at the right level.

The revs change when you change gear but there is no noise or resistance.

My next check was to disconnect the return line to see if fluid was going back to the transmission.

Any thoughts would be great. There hasn't been any indication that the tranny had blown or had any problems previously.

Many thanks.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You said fresh fluid. does that include filters?

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
dealer time.

OP
OP
A

Ajstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
fresh filters and complete fliud change. the 2 codes it throughs up are
P0868 Fluid Pressure low
P0731 gear 1 ratio incorrect.

everything was fine no slipping no clunking but now there is just no movement.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all. I'm brand new to the forum and brand new to dodge vehicles. I have a 2010 2500 5.7 which at present will not move. Everything was fine I parked the truck for a few hours then went to drive it agian and it just wouldn't engage a gear. No drive or reverse. It's got new atf which I checked and is at the right level.

The revs change when you change gear but there is no noise or resistance.

My next check was to disconnect the return line to see if fluid was going back to the transmission.

Any thoughts would be great. There hasn't been any indication that the tranny had blown or had any problems previously.

Many thanks.

So was there pressure in the return line?
The second code will set if it's slipping.I'm not familiar with the Ram tranny's,but built a ton of GM's when I worked there.A lot of tranny's share a clutch pack for first and reverse.Another thing I used to see a lot of was problems after tranny's were serviced,especially flushes.It's easy to stir up **** in the trans with a flush or even just changing the filter.If you still have the old filter around open it up and see if there is fiber clutch material or metal in it.Alum mud is normal in the pan and filter,so don't worry about that.Just the metal and clutch fiber you're looking for.

OP
OP
A

Ajstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so after a lot of messing around i have found that there is no pressure in any of the lines. disconnected both lines to the cooler and started the engine and there was nothing. Im guessing pump but any ideas would be great.

the old filter was the normal amount of wear and tear and small alum shavings on the magnet that you would expect.

Thanks guys.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I dunno, but it seems like there has to be more to this back story. what prompted you to put new fluid in it? was the system flushed, or merely drained? how many qts did it take to refill? how was it refilled? did you check the owners manual on how to check the fluid level. I would think the front pump is the primary motivator of fluid in the lines. could you have an air lock in the trans? just need a whole lot more information, if you want help.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When you took out the old flat filter, did you remember to take out the old o-ring and ensure it was seated correctly?

Squidbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've read about a couple people having this issue before + same codes. In two of the cases, the problem stemmed from the flat/pancake trans filter. 1st was with an aftermarket filter that didn't seat right. It's diameter was smaller than spec causing it to not seal properly. The other was a factory filter but the metal seal was not seated into the trans properly. I believe they tried installing it with it place on filter tube or something. I also believe I remember someone having an issue with an aftermarket spin on filter.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
closure would be good. I sometimes think that in situations like this where there was no follow-up, it was something so simple, like not reading the dipstick correctly, that the op'er is embarrassed to relate the outcome.