1 gal. Of gasoline in 28 gal diesel performance increase.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran a VW Rabbit diesel pickup for a few years and the owners manual described putting gas into the tank when temperatures were low. From what I remember it was something like 25%. They used a pretty low pressure Bosch VE pump. I never ran gas in though. I never would today either.
Reminds me of the old M35A2'S (Deuce and 1/2's), where there were a plethora of fuels as an alternative U could run in that old Diesel except for Gasoline. Heck, throw kerosene in there. But gas in a Modern system, with monster HP fuel pumps, and Def and SCR systems, OMG. All IMHO.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I used to drive an old 85 Chevy c10 with the 6.2 diesel engine. A friend borrowed it one time, and him being all helpful and stuff decided he'd pay me back by topping off the tank. Only problem was he topped it off with gasoline. He told me his mistake when he returned it, saying he put in 5 gallons. I called a couple mechanic friends who both told me that the diesel would dilute the gas enough that it wouldn't hurt running the tank out. So me being the gullible type back then, went ahead and drove the truck that way. A couple months later the injection pump went out on the truck. Coincidence? I think not.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Back then the theory was it kept the diesal from waxing up and gelling,as the gas being a solvent kept the wax from solidifying/gelling.
Even back in then mechanics would say no more than 6%-8% by volume.
Lots changed since then, notably the diesel fuel is now ultra-low sulfur which strips lots of lubricant out of the fuel. The other issue is the high pressure fuel injection, the EcoD will have a rail pressure of at least 5K psi at idle and can max out upwards of 30K psi.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Wonder if this would work for diesel drag racing. Might be worth extra rebuilds for extra win lights if in a single power adder class. if you have the money. Everyday use I say this sounds like a terrible idea.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

What gasoline does to a diesel engine​

A full tank of gasoline will do more damage than a few gallons of gasoline mixed with diesel fuel. A gasoline-diesel fuel mixture ignites more easily, which could cause ignition within the engine. An uncontrolled and mistimed detonation within the engine is like a small bomb going off. The diesel engine is not set up to handle it, and its parts will sustain damage.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Back in the 1960s, they did not have Low Sulfur Diesel
That made a big difference

I remember, back in the day, long before Corn Gas ..

My Grand Dad & Uncles, would put a gallon of #2 diesel into the gas tank & top it off with gas, they only did this when they were about to leave on a long trip

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Reminds me of the old M35A2'S (Deuce and 1/2's), where there were a plethora of fuels as an alternative U could run in that old Diesel except for Gasoline. Heck, throw kerosene in there. But gas in a Modern system, with monster HP fuel pumps, and Def and SCR systems, OMG. All IMHO.
My Dad had an old Rumly tractor that could burn damn near anything if you changed the pills/jets in the carb.Dad had scrounged up the original owners manual for it,and the owners manual gave you the jet sizes for all the known fuels back in the early days of the last century. It was a 900 cube 2 cylinder that idled at 400 rpm,and full throttle was 900 rpm,the pistons in it were almost the size of a 1 gallon coffee can. I remember the old man yelling about their cost when he had to have 1 piston custom made,and that was back in the mid 70's,lol.The piston cost more then he'd paid for the tractor.
When he passed the auction sale brought guys from all over Canada and the US,to bid on it,and it ended up going to New York,and i've since lost track of where the tractor is now

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Stock for stock, you can't make more power with lower energy density fuel. Even winterized diesel that is cut with #1(kerosene) will yield reduced power and MPG.
Absolutely true. It gets REALLY cold up here, -45 this morning, so between the cold and how much winter fuel is thinned out, diesel mileage drops a lot in winter.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Going back to the ‘70s/80s, I worked for a construction company in eastern PA. I ran the equipment and also hauled trailer loads of fuel for our storage tanks. Around September/early October, we would blend 25% kerosene with the diesel fuel/heating oil. ( those days it was the same, just no road tax on heating oil ) No low sulfur fuel stuff like today.
I would haul 7,000 gals per load.
When winter time would come, we would then blend the load with 50% kerosene. Our equipment would never have any gel problems.
But we NEVER used gasoline

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Going back to the ‘70s/80s, I worked for a construction company in eastern PA. I ran the equipment and also hauled trailer loads of fuel for our storage tanks. Around September/early October, we would blend 25% kerosene with the diesel fuel/heating oil. ( those days it was the same, just no road tax on heating oil ) No low sulfur fuel stuff like today.
I would haul 7,000 gals per load.
When winter time would come, we would then blend the load with 50% kerosene. Our equipment would never have any gel problems.
But we NEVER used gasoline

Heating oil, 1&2 Diesel, Kerosene and Jet Fuel are all effectively just different grades of diesel. None of those should EVER have gasoline added to them.
Correct, and I'll add that even in the days of mechanical injector pumps, if you intended to run high concentrations or straight #1, they had "Arctic Kits" to add hardened components to those injector pumps to cope with the reduced lubricity of kerosene.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
To the reverse, according to my wife (she would have been 9-10 years old), back in the '73-74 fuel crisis, she was traveling with her family and there was no gasoline to be found. They had, I believe, a Dodge Van, probably a 3/4 or 1 ton based on my knowledge of her history, no idea what engine was in it. Her father, after much talk, finally convinced a station to put X gallons of Diesel in the tank, and it got them to the next station that had gasoline. It was later reported on CNN that there was an unexplained dearth of mosquitos in that part of the country.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
A few years ago we spent a couple weeks in Switzerland. I had reserved a "midsize" sedan but when we got to the counter there were none available. We could either go with a Compact, or a Mercedes. We upgraded to the S-Class MB. Lovely car. Quiet and refined. Filled it with Premium 3-4 times before returning it.

After we got home I was researching that specific model for the Swiss market and found they only made them in Diesel... Kept expecting to get a call/email from the rental company telling me I had killed it and they wanted $20k to fix it...