'13 Hemi to a '17 Eco thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thinking if trading in my Hemi for an Eco. Wondering what everyone's thoughts are. Mine has gotten crap mileage for a year now and I drive 80 plus miles a day. With the local dealership offering the Eco Bighorn models for just 35k loaded it's hard to pass up.

Anyone regretted going from the Hemi to the Eco?

Thomas Peters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Although I have a hemi everyone else in my family has the eco. After riding in them many miles I wouldn' hesitate to pull the trigger if the deal was right.

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just went from a 15 eco 3.55 to a 15 hemi 3.21. You can only get the 3.55 or 3.92 with the diesel. I LOVED the eco mpg, 24 average, 30 on hwys going 60ish. The low end torque was great, but it falls on its face after about 40mph. Passing power was lacking. Where I live diesel is consistently 20+cents more. DEF fluid wasnt too much of a concern, oil changes are more expensive as well.

The hemi im averaging about 18.5 on my route to work compared to the eco at 23-25. Power wise there is no comparisons, even with the 3.21, no 3.55 offered with the hemi.

Im happy with my choice, and the mainreason for switching was i just missed having some muscle. You really cant go wrong with either. I had ZERO issues with my 2 years and 20k miles with the ECO.

If quickness and acceleration is a big concern, stay with the hemi. If you can live without having quick power, and you can get a good deal, grab an eco! 80 miles a day, you would be benefiting from the mpgs more than I did.

Let me know if you have any questions!

OP
OP
Podcast

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the thoughts! The gas mileage is my biggest concern. For some reason my mileage has gone from an all around average of what you were getting, 18.5, down to 15.5 and I have no clue why. That's a big hit with how much driving I do.

I am going to test drive one today so I guess I will see how much the power loss means to me between the two engines.

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just went from a 15 eco 3.55 to a 15 hemi 3.21. You can only get the 3.55 or 3.92 with the diesel. I LOVED the eco mpg, 24 average, 30 on hwys going 60ish. The low end torque was great, but it falls on its face after about 40mph. Passing power was lacking. Where I live diesel is consistently 20+cents more. DEF fluid wasnt too much of a concern, oil changes are more expensive as well.

The hemi im averaging about 18.5 on my route to work compared to the eco at 23-25. Power wise there is no comparisons, even with the 3.21, no 3.55 offered with the hemi.

Im happy with my choice, and the mainreason for switching was i just missed having some muscle. You really cant go wrong with either. I had ZERO issues with my 2 years and 20k miles with the ECO.

If quickness and acceleration is a big concern, stay with the hemi. If you can live without having quick power, and you can get a good deal, grab an eco! 80 miles a day, you would be benefiting from the mpgs more than I did.

Let me know if you have any questions!

My Hemi came with the 3.92 gears and its a 17

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the thoughts! The gas mileage is my biggest concern. For some reason my mileage has gone from an all around average of what you were getting, 18.5, down to 15.5 and I have no clue why. That's a big hit with how much driving I do.

I am going to test drive one today so I guess I will see how much the power loss means to me between the two engines.

I dropped to 14.7 on the lieometer during are recent cold weather. Yesterday went up to 60 degrees and mpg jumped back up to 18 mpg on 40 mile hwy ride at 60 mph. Personally, I wouldn't jump to the eco until you get some current reviews on the changes the EPA forced after the investigation.

OP
OP
Podcast

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dropped to 14.7 on the lieometer during are recent cold weather. Yesterday went up to 60 degrees and mpg jumped back up to 18 mpg on 40 mile hwy ride at 60 mph. Personally, I wouldn't jump to the eco until you get some current reviews on the changes the EPA forced after the investigation.

All last summer I was only getting 17 at best, more times than not it was 16. I used to get 20 or better at 60mph.

Trooper2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 17 Longhorn. I get about 18mpg going 75-80mpg with my HEMI on my 90mi trip to work. While I understand your wanting to get more MPG's I think over time you will miss the power and your overall savings will not be what you envisioned. I had a Durango Penstar and I quickly missed the power of the HEMI even though Inwas getting 25-26mpg. I took a hit, but needless to say Im back in a HEMI.

OP
OP
Podcast

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I pulled the trigger. It’s possible, I could miss the power but I miss my money more and have been really frustrated with the recent trend of poor mileage for a year on my current Hemi. Driving the Eco today was good. I enjoyed it and really enjoyed the 26mpg even in 7 degree weather. It gets up and goes well enough for anything I’ll need, not that big of a difference compared to the Hemi but maybe that’s due to the steeper gears and 8 speed trany on my new Eco compared to the 3.21 and 6 speed on my old Hemi. I needed the better gas mileage. I hardly race my truck.

OP
OP
Podcast

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also didn’t mention not only did I get the Bighorn loaded for 35k but also got free lifetime oil changes at no charge, the interior and exterior protection no charge, the full length running boards at no charge, and the dent/scratch protect at no charge.

I had no idea the LOF’s were free until we were signing. That alone is a nice money saver.

Oh, and they through in the Weather Tech style rubber floor mats as well.

Last edited:

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pics!! Congrats on the new truck--helluva deal too.

cubmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could the dealer add the remote start from the factory on a 2017 ECO?

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where are you located podcast? We have van horn dealers around WI.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I love my Eco. Added Pedal Commander and I don't miss my HEMI anymore either

Jimworld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Deisel
I had a 2006 Ram with the 5.7 Hemi. I love the truck except for the gas mileage. In Oct. 2016 I bought a new 1500 Eco Diesel. I get between 20 and 22 MPG around town and going to back and forth to work. Longer trips, I have gotten up to 30 MPG but on average 25 MPG. There are some extra expenses. You will need to buy DEF about every 4000 miles and it cost $12.00 for 2 1/2 gals at Walmart (cheapest place I have found). The engine requires synthetic oil and 10 quarts of it. The oil filter is not easy to find and is expensive too. About $30.00. Altogether, the oil change was about $100 to do it myself. I called Dodge and they wanted $150.00. I know a fuel filter change is coming, but I have not had to change it yet. I have no regrets buying the truck and will probably buy another diesel when I get rid of this one in 2026