1995 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HaydenGooding

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Liter V8 - 318
Hay guys, this is my first personal forum post but I've always come to you guys to look over old forums to try and work out problems I've had in the past. So here is the issue. I just got a 1995 dodge ram 1500 5.2L V8 4x4. Im planning on doing a small build. Ex) LEDs, headunit, lift, mud tires, exhaust, etc. But before anything I need to get it running right. The truck starts right up everytime, but when driving it, I put It to the floor, and it won't go over 1500 rpms. When its in neutral it'll rev up past 1500 fine. But not when driving. It wont even spin the tires on stone. Im thinking clogged catalytic? Does this year have O2s? Can I just cut the cat out without throwing a code on the dash? Im planning on plugs and wires also but as of right now, it has ZERO balls. Any ideas guys? Any advice would really be appreciated. Thanks guys.

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
Hay guys, this is my first personal forum post but I've always come to you guys to look over old forums to try and work out problems I've had in the past. So here is the issue. I just got a 1995 dodge ram 1500 5.2L V8 4x4. Im planning on doing a small build. Ex) LEDs, headunit, lift, mud tires, exhaust, etc. But before anything I need to get it running right. The truck starts right up everytime, but when driving it, I put It to the floor, and it won't go over 1500 rpms. When its in neutral it'll rev up past 1500 fine. But not when driving. It wont even spin the tires on stone. Im thinking clogged catalytic? Does this year have O2s? Can I just cut the cat out without throwing a code on the dash? Im planning on plugs and wires also but as of right now, it has ZERO balls. Any ideas guys? Any advice would really be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Clogged cat or failing o2 sensor my 94 doesn't have OBD 2 neither does your 95 I believe dodge started using the obd 2 in 96 or 97. Spark plugs and wires I like bosch but that's my opinion. You can find some easier going with AC delco unless you're a hardcore chevy hater like me. I hear NGK does pretty well too. On second thought do some searching around and see for yourself.

OP
OP
H

HaydenGooding

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Liter V8 - 318
Thats what I figured too. So I'm good to cut the cat? And yeah I was planning on getting bosch plugs. Was gonna do some research on wires. Anything else I should look into motor wise? Anything that might meed replacing or a look over?

OP
OP
H

HaydenGooding

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Liter V8 - 318
I could just cut the cat and put a non fouler or two on the O2 and be fine right? And what do you guys suggest for exhaust? I want something nice sounding and pretty loud. Im not looking to spend $500 though.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
The O2 sensor is a pre-cat, you don't need a non-fouler just a ****.

My suggestion for exhaust would be the Jegs Y-pipe and your muffler of choice. A lot of us like Magnaflow on here. Link to Y-Pipe. It is a direct fit to what you have to eliminate the cat. Also has O2 bungs pre-installed. Biggest restriction in the stock system is the y-pipe.

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
Thats what I figured too. So I'm good to cut the cat? And yeah I was planning on getting bosch plugs. Was gonna do some research on wires. Anything else I should look into motor wise? Anything that might meed replacing or a look over?

I would go around the engine and look for carbon build up in the EGR and other places. if you have extra money go get high octane fuel and put it in your tank. I would also look into getting a Catch Can dodgedude94 has a great write up on one it would help with engine life but i'm more into having something that lasts :D

OP
OP
H

HaydenGooding

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Liter V8 - 318
Thanks so much for all the response guys. You're all really a big help. Can I ask what the jegs y-pipe will do? Like what will it enhance? What are the benefits of having it?

OP
OP
H

HaydenGooding

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Liter V8 - 318
Alright ill look into the y-pipe. And what exactly is the plenum?

OP
OP
H

HaydenGooding

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Liter V8 - 318
Is that the y-pipe what I would get if I ordered from jegs? I mean is that what would be delivered to my house or do you have some things welded up on there? Sorry for sounding so stupid and being so inexperienced. I just want to make sure I understand everything and I'm doing everything right.

OP
OP
H

HaydenGooding

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Liter V8 - 318
Cool thanks. My truck doesn't have the after cat o2 sensor though so do I need to buy a plug for it?

OP
OP
H

HaydenGooding

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Liter V8 - 318
Cool. Im gonna go cut just before the cat now to see if it runs better.