2001 cummins head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Native Texan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have a head gasket leaking on my 2001 Cummins. I have a man ready to pull it and get it surfaced. I am wondering if there is an aftermarket head or a specialty rebuilder that could improve my performance, meaning equal or more power with greater fuel efficiency. I am not trying to race it, I have a superior full size enclosed workbed on it. I am just thinking it might make sense to try to improve the efficiency. Also, are there injectors that might accomplish the same thing? What suggestions do you have?

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
I had .006" planed off the head in my 6.7L CTD to flatten it for a new head gasket, which is quite a bit on a diesel, and there was no gain in either performance or fuel milage. To get more umph out of your 5.9L you may want to invest in a tuner for more power, and if that doesn't satisfy you, then you may need to do a bigger turbo or stacked turbos along with oversized injectors. The single bigger turbo will cause more turbo lag at lower rpms but will give you more higher on the tach. The tuner will probably be the ticket for what you are wanting, and it is so simple on these older generation Cummins simply because they aren't choked with emission control systems. If you are somewhere that does emission testing you simply have to turn the tuner back to stock and drive it a couple days before testing. Be careful if you go with a tuner, because too much added torque can be tough on auto transmissions and manual clutches.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Reach out to these guys. They are very helpful and can guide you to what you want out of the truck.
Recently Project Farm on YouTube did a series with them and it was pretty remarkable what they ended up with out of his truck. I use them exclusively for 12v Cummins builds.