2005 Ram 1500 5.7l hemi swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hittin100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I have acquired a 2005 ram 1500 5.7l with the engine locked up. I have a 2004 ram 2500 5.7 donor truck. What are my options as far as making this swap with and without pcm swaps or wiring harness swaps? Both are 2wd automatics. should I change transmission with the engine swap? Any other need to knows? Thanks in advance,.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Install engine. Hook everything up. Realize that the 2500 doesn't have EGR but your 1500 requires it. Decide whether to delete EGR or drill the head (or swap them) and swap intake manifolds. That's the only difference between them, otherwise same engine.

OP
OP
H

hittin100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Well since the donor engine is not and egr engine would deleting be the best way to go? I want to keep the heads from the donor engine since they were reworked 30000 miles ago and I'm not sure what caused the engine to lock up or where the damage is. Is there a way to trick the pcm into thinking the egr is there with the wiring or would a retune be required? I don't mind if the MIL stays on but getting it to go away would be better.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well since the donor engine is not and egr engine would deleting be the best way to go? I want to keep the heads from the donor engine since they were reworked 30000 miles ago and I'm not sure what caused the engine to lock up or where the damage is. Is there a way to trick the pcm into thinking the egr is there with the wiring or would a retune be required? I don't mind if the MIL stays on but getting it to go away would be better.
I dont seee why you couldnt leave the egr valve plugged in zip tied to something off to the side truck will think its installed. Just dont expect to pass any state inspections ect if thats a issue where you live here in jersey you pull up they scan the truck if it says good you leave they dont look at anything.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wouldn't just throw a MIL, it would drive like s4it too. It can be turned off but that may be something you have to finagle yourself, as after the EPA started cracking down on tuners you'd be hard pressed to find someone willing to turn off an emissions control.
I dont seee why you couldnt leave the egr valve plugged in zip tied to something off to the side truck will think its installed. Just dont expect to pass any state inspections ect if thats a issue where you live here in jersey you pull up they scan the truck if it says good you leave they dont look at anything.
The PCM will look for it. If it isn't turned off in the tune there will be driveability issues.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With what was mentioned above it would honestly be easier if you swap the cylinder head with the egr port from your old engine if it wasnt damaged.

OP
OP
H

hittin100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
With what was mentioned above it would honestly be easier if you swap the cylinder head with the egr port from your old engine if it wasnt damaged.
From the looks of what I'm running across removing the throttle body and intake I don't see a scenario where the heads are not damaged plus the heads the non egr donor engine were reworked about 20000 miles ago

OP
OP
H

hittin100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Emissions testing is not done here so that is not a problem.

OP
OP
H

hittin100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I am having 2nd thoughts about possibly changing the one head. I guess I will decide once I get the head checked out

OP
OP
H

hittin100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Is it possible to use the intake and throttle body off my donor engine which is non EGR on this EGR system if I keep the head that has the EGR going into it. The throttle body on the non EGR engine has a spot for the EGR tube to go into it so I'm assuming it would be fine to use that throttle body.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is it possible to use the intake and throttle body off my donor engine which is non EGR on this EGR system if I keep the head that has the EGR going into it. The throttle body on the non EGR engine has a spot for the EGR tube to go into it so I'm assuming it would be fine to use that throttle body.
The exhaust gases have to have somewhere to go.....
Verify there isn't a plug difference with the TB, there was a change like mid 04ish if memory serves. Otherwise the TB's are interchangeable. EGR tube does not go into the TB, it goes into the intake manifold:

InkedInkedScreenshot 2023-08-19 at 01-17-47 s-l1600.jpg (JPEG Image 1600 × 1200 pixels) — Scal...jpg

Do NOT drill out that blank spot you see on the TB smh.....that's the pivot point for the butterfly. You either have to use your old intake or you need to open up that spot in the newer one.

OP
OP
H

hittin100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Ok update.
The exhaust gases have to have somewhere to go.....
Verify there isn't a plug difference with the TB, there was a change like mid 04ish if memory serves. Otherwise the TB's are interchangeable. EGR tube does not go into the TB, it goes into the intake manifold:

View attachment 526746

Do NOT drill out that blank spot you see on the TB smh.....that's the pivot point for the butterfly. You either have to use your old intake or you need to open up that spot in the newer one.
Ok. I misspoke about the egr tube location. I was calling the place where the tube goes the throttle body but it is behind the throttle body and actually the intake. We were still referring to the same place. Thanks though

OP
OP
H

hittin100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Update. I can not use the egr head off of the locked up engine and put it on my '04 non egr engine. The head is beyond bad. So I will have to go the egr delete route. I will use the intake and throttle body from the donor engine and go from there. Can I just switch the pcm from old truck to new truck? (I think I already know the answer to this) Locally I can get the tuning done and the egr removed from the computer for $100 and that is a complete retune with any problems in the future worked out for free.

I am going with the automatic trans that is already in the '05 1500 to avoid any possible computer problems with my '04 2500 trans as they are 1 number off with the part number. Not sure if the computer or pcm would have an issue. Thanks in advance

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If it's the last character (the last letter, like 56029914AF vs 56029914AG) then it's the same part number, just a later version of it. Regardless, all 3G hemis use the same 545RFE trans. In fact, if you use the donor trans with your existing PCM you will need to perform a quick learn as your PCM has the clutch values for your original trans and not the new one and run the risk of damaging the donor. 2500 PCM's have been hit and miss with behaving in a 1500 chassis. If you try it, you have to flash the new VIN, the original programming may not match your truck options and if you have SKIM key, that will need to be initialized to the new PCM, which will require a new module (once a SKIM has been initialized to a PCM it cannot be mated to another).
My recommendation is to use your original trans (unless it has problems) and go the local tune out route.

MoparX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agree with Lonestar, if you can have it tuned for $100 delete the egr and go with the original trans.

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Location? I have heads 34450 is the zip

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also.... as someone that just went through putting an 05 motor in my 04 truck with 06 coils. I have very recent and personal knowledge of the EXTREMELY minor differences. Like the 04 and 05 pcm even with matching part numbers has different connectors. I had to rebuild my harness like 3 or 4 times because each little thing that was different.