2006 Transmission Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djb1071

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got a 2006 Mega Cab 5.7. This morning when going to shift from 2nd to drive/3rd the truck started searching for a gear, I heard and felt a pretty good bang. The check engine light came on and the code came back "transmission control" which is a generic code.

It's at the shop waiting to be looked at but as of right now the truck won't shift into 3rd, but it wants to, it just seems like there is no gear there for it to go to.

Question - Does this sound like it could be something electrical? If not and I've got to look for a replacement, does anyone know which transmissions from other models would be compatible.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Waiting to see if p0733 & p0734 show up....
Not likely electrical. How many miles & do you like to floor it (causing a kickdown from OD) on a regular basis?

OP
OP
D

djb1071

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The mechanic did say it was a p07 something code, but he said it was generic.

There 155 on the truck but only about 30-40 on the transmission. I just got the truck and haven’t floored it once...

Pretty sure 3rd gear is broke and I’ll have to be on the search for anothe r. Any recommendations on good remanufactured trans?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The mechanic did say it was a p07 something code, but he said it was generic.

There 155 on the truck but only about 30-40 on the transmission. I just got the truck and haven’t floored it once...

Pretty sure 3rd gear is broke and I’ll have to be on the search for anothe r. Any recommendations on good remanufactured trans?

P0700 is the generic trans fault, but there is almost always at least one other code that is specific; the ones I mentioned are the 4th and 5th gear codes (clutches are gone) and are usually the kiss of death for the 545RFE. Most of us who have had trans issues, especially when putting more power to it than stock generally look for a low mileage original and swap that in (my truck is on its 3rd). Haven't really seen any rebuilds (or so called performance builds) last any longer than originals. Most likely to do with the absolute **** trans programming that came from the factory on them.

OP
OP
D

djb1071

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
P0700 is the generic trans fault, but there is almost always at least one other code that is specific; the ones I mentioned are the 4th and 5th gear codes (clutches are gone) and are usually the kiss of death for the 545RFE. Most of us who have had trans issues, especially when putting more power to it than stock generally look for a low mileage original and swap that in (my truck is on its 3rd). Haven't really seen any rebuilds (or so called performance builds) last any longer than originals. Most likely to do with the absolute **** trans programming that came from the factory on them.
Yeah the truck is totally stock and I’m looking for a stock replacement but I got this to tow a camper, so I don’t want to get a low mileage replacement and trust that. I known Dodges are known for trans issues, but didn’t think it was this bad.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah the truck is totally stock and I’m looking for a stock replacement but I got this to tow a camper, so I don’t want to get a low mileage replacement and trust that. I known Dodges are known for trans issues, but didn’t think it was this bad.

Don't knock it til you try it. I got about 105-110,000 out of my original, then I replaced it with one that I was assured was a "performance heavy duty build". It lasted less than 30,000 miles... Replaced it with a 24,000 original mile trans from a local yard (not pick-n-pull) out of a running vehicle. That was 40,000 miles ago and I haul stuff, and tow a boat (and the occasional car) frequently and it's still going strong. Just this series of trans is ****, it's the reason I looked into doing an 8HP70 retrofit, but it's more expensive than I'm willing to deal with for now lol.

OP
OP
D

djb1071

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't knock it til you try it. I got about 105-110,000 out of my original, then I replaced it with one that I was assured was a "performance heavy duty build". It lasted less than 30,000 miles... Replaced it with a 24,000 original mile trans from a local yard (not pick-n-pull) out of a running vehicle. That was 40,000 miles ago and I haul stuff, and tow a boat (and the occasional car) frequently and it's still going strong. Just this series of trans is ****, it's the reason I looked into doing an 8HP70 retrofit, but it's more expensive than I'm willing to deal with for now lol.
I hear ya, if it were just me I’d be totally cool. But putting the family in and traveling all around I’m not sure I’m comfortable with. Depending on the issue I might fix it as cheap as possible, sell it and get something with less known issues. That’ll suck cause it’s a great truck other than that.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Fear of used parts lol? Though a 06 megacab (which rides on a 2500 frame and chassis) with a 5.7 pulling it along probably isn't the best unless you're towing really heavy and even then, you could probably find a better hemi 4th gen with 50hp more and the larger crew cab.

OP
OP
D

djb1071

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fear of used parts lol? Though a 06 megacab (which rides on a 2500 frame and chassis) with a 5.7 pulling it along probably isn't the best unless you're towing really heavy and even then, you could probably find a better hemi 4th gen with 50hp more and the larger crew cab.
I’m not afraid of used parts, I’m uncomfortable with a vehicle with common issues of a major part.