2008 dodge ram 4.7 performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rpriest77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab Big Horn Edition with the 4.7L. I have it true dueled with glass packs and a bully dog GT gas tuner on it. I'm looking for any suggestions for more performance and horsepower and torque. Wanting to be running in the 13's in the quarter mile. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

DDean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Different gears. I see a lot of people talk about 4.56.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
man thats going to be hard to be honest with a 4.7 all motor i would think. i would have to say gears a good torque converter some slicks and nitrous will make it run real good but your sort of limited with that motor from what ive read before

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hard to do 13's with that engine (without nitrous or FI, anyway). The gears (4.56's) and converter are the best starts for this. You didn't say if 2wd or 4wd. ****** thing about changing gears is it gets expensive with 4wd. You're starting with 310 at the crank, which will put you at about 250 or so at the wheels by the time it gets through that RFE. You need to get closer to 400 at the crank to get close to your target 1/4 time. Unfortunately outside of airram.com, not a whole lot of support for the 4.7, though I'm not sure anyone really has anything for the 08+ version. I think Superchips makes a programmer for yours; would definitely be worth looking into if only for the available trans tuning. Not sure if the 08+ 4.7 is custom tunable, if it is you can get custom tuning to optimize your combo.

cobra2411

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab Big Horn Edition with the 4.7L. I have it true dueled with glass packs and a bully dog GT gas tuner on it. I'm looking for any suggestions for more performance and horsepower and torque. Wanting to be running in the 13's in the quarter mile. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sell it for something else. I've got an 04 Ram 1500 Regular cab 2wd taht ran mid 16's in the quarter. You're talking about dropping 3-4 seconds off your et. That's a TALL order.

I had 4.56's for a while with stock-ish sized tires and it was a lot of fun stoplight to stoplight. I did it for towing and it was great for that, but not so much fun empty on the highway. It was at 2,000 rpms at 60 and going much faster than 65 killed the mileage. City/highway it got 10.9 average mpg. The pinion seal went bad and I decided to go to 3.90 gears and I'm up to 12.5 mpg but it definitely feels more "normal".

I never did get to the track with the 4.56 gears, but around town it was a hoot. I did put a flowmaster on it but I don't think that gave me anything. As has been said you'll need 100+hp increase to get anywhere close to 13's. You're into supercharger/turbo territory and pricey. That's if the stock ECM can be tuned for it.

My advice, go get a trailer and a fox body mustang and build a dedicated street strip warrior. Tow it with your Ram...

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He has an 08 so at least it's got a power bump. An 08 rcsb 2wd ran a 14.6 in my neck of the woods with a superchips, intake, an maggy y pipe an muffler. It's not gonna happen

cobra2411

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck weighs ~5000lbs, so I'm going to say the OP's is 6k or so. That means under ideal circumstances he'll need 425-450hp to reach high 13's. I'm going to assume that RCSB weighed about 4800 and if so is putting out an honest 310-320hp. If the OP makes the same modes then he'll run a 15.4-15.5 under ideal conditions. My truck by comparison is putting out ~220hp.

Forced induction or Nitrous are the only ways I see that truck hitting 13's. I don't know the specifics of the fuel system, but if you can trick it with a FMU like in the old days it might work to put a blower or turbo on it. Maybe a boost-a-pump type thing would work. In any case I can see spending $5k+ on doing that.

Sell the truck and get a 5.7 Hemi or get something else to be the street/strip car and keep the truck stock, nice and reliable.