2010 CTD Fuel Filter. Help Please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dooner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Can I get a better filter element for my 2010 CTD than what is available from the dealer?
I went to two places and was told it's a dealer item.

Dooner

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I'm not to familiar with the 2010 filter systems...

But look into after market lift pumps. They come with better filtration.

And they have these...which I'm planning on running down the road
Cummins CAT Fuel Filter Kit

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Ill only use Baldwin,fleet guard or cummins fuel filters
The factory filter systems suck anyway around it

OP
OP
Dooner

Dooner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm not to familiar with the 2010 filter systems...

But look into after market lift pumps. They come with better filtration.

And they have these...which I'm planning on running down the road
Cummins CAT Fuel Filter Kit

I want to eventually get this fuel filter system.
xx-fuel.com

But I was hoping there was a replacement filter element that fit in the stock canister for right now.

Uncle Ugly

Reaction score
You do of course realize that the factory fuel filters are made by Fleetguard right?

For the crazy money that XXFuel wants for their system you could add a bit more and just go with a AirDog or FASS and rid yourself of the poor factory in tank lift pump.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Since common rail injectors are touchy to debris in the fuel I would get any filter that get down towards 2-5 microns... I think the stock on is still at 10 microns.

OP
OP
Dooner

Dooner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You do of course realize that the factory fuel filters are made by Fleetguard right?

For the crazy money that XXFuel wants for their system you could add a bit more and just go with a AirDog or FASS and rid yourself of the poor factory in tank lift pump.

I am new to the diesel world and still learning. I just found out that the stock filters are only good to about 7 microns. I am not going to be going for any monster HP, so I didn't think I would have to worry about the pump. Just wanted to get down to 2 microns of filtration.
Any insight would be appreciated.

Since common rail injectors are touchy to debris in the fuel I would get any filter that get down towards 2-5 microns... I think the stock on is still at 10 microns.

I read that the stock filter was good to 7 microns, so thats why I was wondering if anyone made a better filter element that fit into the stock canister while I am waiting to get a better filter system. The high micron must have something to do with the water seperator, because the xxfuel filter system uses a 8 micron filter at the water seperator, then a 2 micron filter after that. It also has the water sensor that they said is compatible with the factory wiring.

Thank you.
Dooner

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
I use Baldwin filters on the fuel and oil .. no problems

OP
OP
Dooner

Dooner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I went ahead and got a stock filter for now. It seemed to make a noticeable difference in the way the engine runs. I was 5000 miles overdue to change it.
I will definitely get one of the filter systems that fit under the truck. That stock location is a PITA to get to. I thought I was going to break the brake master cylinder trying to turn that damn thing.
2 micron filter and easier to replace is well worth the $330!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone!
Dooner

OP
OP
Dooner

Dooner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins

I would like to hear more about why it would be good to rid the stock pump.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Better PSI feed . Larger lines , better flow , last longer , easy maintenance the list goes on and on .

And in some cases better MPG'S .. at least my buddy and his 06 got better . Also smoother feel to the truck in general .

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
I would like to hear more about why it would be good to rid the stock pump.

Easy... I've never seen a Cummins stock electric pump exceed 35 GPH... Most fuel systems require much more that 35 GPH to keep it lubed and cooled properly. As for the VP44 Bosch states that 70% of the fuel should be returned to the tank. So if a stock truck can pull upwards of 15-20 GPH to the injectors on a WOT run the how is 35 GPH meeting the Bosch requirement? It's not... Hence why the smallest pump typically is 95 GPH from FASS. Even they did their homework and relized the stock fuel system sucked...