2011 Rear Differential Oil Overfilled?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 Ram Quad cab 4x4 manufactured on 5-11. Rear axle has a hex plug for fill and also for draining.
I pulled the fill plug, and the damn thing was overfilled by a lot apparently.

So just how in the hell am I supposed fill it as much as they did from the factory? I know, fill to the bottom of the fill hole. Inquiring minds want to know, why did the factory over fill it? No rubber fill plug on the diff cover either.

Please fill me in. Should I be concerned? They had some kind of issue with tear ends around this time right?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fill it as much as you can .
The excess is most likely years of condensation build up .

Was it milky at all ?

OP
OP
JasonK94Z

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Turn it upside-down and fill it through the drain hole. :)

LMAO! I thought the same thing.

I was just concerned because of that recall on rear ends at one point. Don't really know the details of the recall, but thought it had to do with the oil level. Then I wondered if they maybe overfilled them at one point as a band aid type fix. These days you never know what type of idiotic fixes a company might do to save a penny.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
2011 has 2 rear recalls. Something to do with the vent and for the pinion nut.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Raist11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd be curious how much altering the factory rake could impact the angle, causing some fluid to spill out when removing the fill plug.

Last edited:

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd be curious how much altering the factory rake could impact the angle, causing some fluid to spill out when removing the fill plug.

That thought crossed my mind too, but dismissed it because of the rear suspension design. The pinion doesn't rotate upwards much if at all. Not like with short wheel base Jeeps and dual cardan shafts where the rear axle gets tilted a lot.

If it was still factory fill, the axles are assembled and filled off the vehicle so likely somebody was just a bit too generous.

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Bringing this back as i had an outer pinion bearing fail at 50,000 on my 2011.
I only had the pinion nut recall on my truck but question if it was also effected by oil level but not on recall

I only have threaded plug for fill on front side

Im now questioning why bearing went. Was it lack of oil or did they mess up preload when they did pinion nut recall which i beilve the checked torque and slapped on retainer
I put 10000 on it since recall done

Thoughts

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Where you on flat ground when you saw it was over filled? If you think about it, it is very hard to over fill the diff.

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The question is was it overfilled due to fill plug potential issue in wrong spot.
And k36 recall