2012 - New Steering Wheel w/ radio controls - how to make work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwitchySumo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2012 Ram Express with the standard RES radio (with Sirus XM.) I replaced the OEM steering wheel with a leather steering wheel w/ radio controls out of another 2012 Big Horn. The radio controls do not work. I have read that it typically works (plug-and-play.) Anyone know if I misread something or am I missing a step? Thanks!

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
If I remember correctly, on my son's 2012, I also had to enable them with AlfaOBD. Pretty sure the setting was "Remote Steering Wheel Switches".

OP
OP
T

TwitchySumo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I remember correctly, on my son's 2012, I also had to enable them with AlfaOBD. Pretty sure the setting was "Remote Steering Wheel Switches".
I have looked into the AlphaOBD threads and for some reason I keep interpreting them as: AlphaOBD can only be used on 2013+ model years. Did your son's 2012 also have the standard radio? (non-touch screen)

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I have looked into the AlphaOBD threads and for some reason I keep interpreting them as: AlphaOBD can only be used on 2013+ model years. Did your son's 2012 also have the standard radio? (non-touch screen)

Actually, that was a mistake\misunderstanding when the was first posted. The software was initially written around 2005 or 2006 for the european market. and someone figured out that FCA uses the same modules throughout its vehicle line. It works fine on older models, just the features of what was available for the years are different. I've used it on my 2006 Charger R/T when I still had it, and have done a ton of stuff on my 2010 1500 with it.

His truck came with the non touch screen, no wheel buttons, and no uconnect. We put in an OEM nav(RHB), added the ucconnect module and steering wheel controls all at the same time.

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
The Alfaobd thread for our 2009-2012 4th gens is in the 3rd generation section.

OP
OP
T

TwitchySumo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Actually, that was a mistake\misunderstanding when the was first posted. The software was initially written around 2005 or 2006 for the european market. and someone figured out that FCA uses the same modules throughout its vehicle line. It works fine on older models, just the features of what was available for the years are different. I've used it on my 2006 Charger R/T when I still had it, and have done a ton of stuff on my 2010 1500 with it.

His truck came with the non touch screen, no wheel buttons, and no uconnect. We put in an OEM nav(RHB), added the ucconnect module and steering wheel controls all at the same time.
I see, thanks for clarifying.

Do you know if the non-touch screen radio can be controlled by the steering wheel controls (with my newly added wheel?) I will get educated on the AlphaOBD tool and purchase one if I can get it to work with my current non-touch screen radio and new steering wheel. I don't think I will need to run any new wiring, does that sound correct?

Here is a photo of my current radio just to be sure.

Attachments

• IMG_3333.jpeg
    IMG_3333.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
T

TwitchySumo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Alfaobd thread for our 2009-2012 4th gens is in the 3rd generation section.
Thank you VERY much for sending me to this. I will be reading up on this!

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I see, thanks for clarifying.

Do you know if the non-touch screen radio can be controlled by the steering wheel controls (with my newly added wheel?) I will get educated on the AlphaOBD tool and purchase one if I can get it to work with my current non-touch screen radio and new steering wheel. I don't think I will need to run any new wiring, does that sound correct?

Here is a photo of my current radio just to be sure.

I can't see why not, my 2010 came with that radio and the steering wheel controls from the factory, I had the same radio, although my RES had the phone button for uconnect and it worked fine.

OP
OP
T

TwitchySumo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't see why not, my 2010 came with that radio and the steering wheel controls from the factory, I had the same radio, although my RES had the phone button for uconnect and it worked fine.
Great to know. Thank you. I'll likely be getting an AlphaOBD now and giving it a shot. I will update this thread if it worked or not. It will likely be within a couple weeks. God bless.