2012 ram sport W/manual tranny???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess i dont want a new vehicle then ill just buy another 2nd gen with a 360 and 4X4 and just Modify that

You'll have to get a 2500 to get a 360 and a Manual Transmission.
And GOOOOD luck finding one of those:roflsquared:

OP
OP
MvZiC MaN

MvZiC MaN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L 295 CI Magnum V6 :(
i could just drop a 360 in mine and put a whole new tranny and rearend as well

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
From a manufactureing stand point its not stupid
For them to put manual transmission in vehicles it can take 2-3 weeks, if not longer to modify the assembly line to install a manual transmission
Thats 2-3 weeks of people with out jobs, others being paid to change assembly line parts, countless hours of engineering not only going into the truck design to accept a manual or auto, but engineering the line, engineering goes into the actual assembly process and even industrial engineers to do all of the scheduling for all of this to sell a very minor amount of trucks with manuals compared to the market of automatic trucks

Would you rather pay the amish minimum wage to build your barn or pay an engineer to completly design it and just have the other guys build it anyway? lol

OP
OP
MvZiC MaN

MvZiC MaN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
im not saying there stupid for doing it but they could have a 2nd assembly line for the manuals... either way im sure there are Thousands of people who dont want Automatics in their Trucks

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
From febuary of 2011 to febuary of 2012 about 40k rams were sold
If the market was large enough (i.e. ram 2500/3500 with a manual trans) they would surely be in production

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The only reason I don't really want another manual is hassle with remote start. I love the ability to warm up my truck and manual makes that tougher from a "I don't park in the garage at work and hate being in the cold" standpoint anyway. Manual does make it feel more powerful and they can be fun to drive when not on a boat ramp or in traffic. They are not stronger anymore though most over the road and real big trucks are even going auto they say they last longer now.

RamSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
The only reason I don't really want another manual is hassle with remote start. I love the ability to warm up my truck and manual makes that tougher from a "I don't park in the garage at work and hate being in the cold" standpoint anyway. Manual does make it feel more powerful and they can be fun to drive when not on a boat ramp or in traffic. They are not stronger anymore though most over the road and real big trucks are even going auto they say they last longer now.

I have to disagree with you on that. I've been working with semi trucks for five years now only 2 of them use autos and the rest are manuals. The two that drive autos are constantly in the shop because the TC has failed and the truck won't move. Most of the time the TC fails while the truck is in its final gear. So now you have 80K lbs stuck at a stop light blocking traffic because the TC blew for million time in a row now. Say second gear goes out in a auto and a manual. The auto is stuck in first gear and your ECM won't allow the trucks RPM to go over 1K because it's in limp mode. The manual however can skip 2nd and get going down the road to a repair shop for the warranty guys and the garage for non-warranty guys.

I'm a firm believer in manuals and everyone needs to know how to drive them because not everything is automatic.

OP
OP
MvZiC MaN

MvZiC MaN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with RAMSLT this is my first truck i learned in It and i learned on a Manual and i HATED Automatics before i started Driving. but i gotta deal with the fact that they stopped making the Manual Trans

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have to disagree with you on that. I've been working with semi trucks for five years now only 2 of them use autos and the rest are manuals. The two that drive autos are constantly in the shop because the TC has failed and the truck won't move. Most of the time the TC fails while the truck is in its final gear. So now you have 80K lbs stuck at a stop light blocking traffic because the TC blew for million time in a row now. Say second gear goes out in a auto and a manual. The auto is stuck in first gear and your ECM won't allow the trucks RPM to go over 1K because it's in limp mode. The manual however can skip 2nd and get going down the road to a repair shop for the warranty guys and the garage for non-warranty guys.

I'm a firm believer in manuals and everyone needs to know how to drive them because not everything is automatic.

I should mention I don't actually think autos are stronger myself I am just going by what I have been told about them on newer trucks. I have priced out a diesel truck countless times with the manual because I agree they are stronger or at the vary least last longer. We all know a Cummins can shred a auto transmission especially when chipped. I also agree everyone should be able to drive a standard which even though is no longer standard is a great life skill.

$miley

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
With how many different cars and trucks I drive I do enjoy being able to get in a car and just drive home without havin to shift
Especially since I've been mixing up gear patterns lately and have to think about some shifts before haha

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Depending on the vehicle it will let it go to redline so like on hemi rams with 3.55 gears you could go around 45 mph

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With how many different cars and trucks I drive I do enjoy being able to get in a car and just drive home without havin to shift
Especially since I've been mixing up gear patterns lately and have to think about some shifts before haha

Yep - I get that going from my Challenger to my Ram... Reverse is left and down on the Ram, right and upon the Challenger... and the gears are different. Even though both are 6-spds, I drive the Ram like a 5-spd with an ultra low.

I drove a '10 Ram auto for about 18 months or so and an '07 Charger for 5 yrs. I never felt attached to either of those vehicles the way I do to my current vehicles... and while they were nice vehicles, I don't miss driving them as much as I miss some of my former vehicles that had manual transmissions - including my '92 Cavalier.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Yep - I get that going from my Challenger to my Ram... Reverse is left and down on the Ram, right and upon the Challenger... and the gears are different. Even though both are 6-spds, I drive the Ram like a 5-spd with an ultra low.

I drove a '10 Ram auto for about 18 months or so and an '07 Charger for 5 yrs. I never felt attached to either of those vehicles the way I do to my current vehicles... and while they were nice vehicles, I don't miss driving them as much as I miss some of my former vehicles that had manual transmissions including my '92 Cavalier.

My girlfriends cummins is a 6speed with reverse to the top right, her dads cummins is a 6 speed with reverse in to the left and up (pull out in 2nd sometimes even third), our f350 is a 5 speed with granny gear
and reverse to the top left (I always try to shift it to 6 like the cummins trans lol)
'13 mustang is a 6 speed that you have to push down then pull it inside top left for reverse, brothers '07 gt is a 5 speed with reverse to the top right (I look for 6th in it to lol) international 4900 is a 9speed with reverse inside top left
Those are just what I drive reguraly lol

greychevy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yep, I'm pretty sure no manual transmission in a dodge 1500 after 2008....which sucks. I used to have a 2001 Chevy Silverado with a V8 and 5 speed manual. I freaking loved that truck. Would give my left nut for a manual trans in my 2012. I would really like to drive a 2008 Ram with the manual trans and new for that year 4.7 V8. It had like 310HP that year and my 2001 chevy only had around 275HP

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My girlfriends cummins is a 6speed with reverse to the top right, her dads cummins is a 6 speed with reverse in to the left and up (pull out in 2nd sometimes even third), our f350 is a 5 speed with granny gear
and reverse to the top left (I always try to shift it to 6 like the cummins trans lol)
'13 mustang is a 6 speed that you have to push down then pull it inside top left for reverse, brothers '07 gt is a 5 speed with reverse to the top right (I look for 6th in it to lol) international 4900 is a 9speed with reverse inside top left
Those are just what I drive reguraly lol

Yep - I sometimes drive an International with a shift pattern like this:

R 1/5 4/8
2/6 3/7

Definitely gotta think when driving it.