2014 Ram 5.7 Bad Lifter AGAIN!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2014 122k 5.7 I bought it with 114k on it had the usuall bad cam/lifters replaced both using mopar cam and ENGINE TEC lifters from rockauto. I have used them before without to many issues however 2k miles one collapsed replaced them all again they sent me new ones. I went on a very long trip this past week ran great I pull up to a drive thru and what do i hear? TAP TAP TAP sure enough I have a bad lifter somewhere its very loud. So at this point Ive had it tired of tearing this thing apart NEVER EVER buy enginetech products pure TRASH. It is getting harder and harder to find good parts I am tempted to go back to Mopar lifters but they are $280-330 a stick everywhere I look thats insane... I would really like to stay close to stock due to cost but I am open to suggestions as far as cam/lifter kits. I see a new brand on rockatuo http://sbi-e-catalog.com/PartDetail.aspx?PartNumber=VL556LA&PartType=LIFTER ASSEMBLY
Has anyone heard of SBI lifters?

Last edited:
OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also I am already running good oil with a additive fresh oil before the trip so before people start bringing up that kind of stuff lol.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
2014 122k 5.7 I bought it with 114k on it in july had the usuall bad cam/lifters replaced both using mopar cam and ENGINE TEC lifters from rockauto. I have used them before without to many issues however 2k miles one collapsed replaced them all again they sent me new ones. I went on a very long trip this past week ran great I pull up to a drive thru and what do i hear? TAP TAP TAP sure enough I have a bad lifter somewhere its very loud. So at this point Ive had it tired of tearing this thing apart NEVER EVER buy enginetech products pure TRASH. It is getting harder and harder to find good parts I am tempted to go back to Mopar lifters but they are $280-330 a stick everywhere I look thats insane... I would really like to stay close to stock due to cost but I am open to suggestions as far as cam/lifter kits. I see a new brand on rockatuo http://sbi-e-catalog.com/PartDetail.aspx?PartNumber=VL556LA&PartType=LIFTER ASSEMBLY
Has anyone heard of SBI lifters?
Can't be any worse then engine tech lifters,lol.If you try them out,keep us updated on them.

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id hate to just try another brand without hearing from others that have used them hopefully someone will chime in. But are people just using oem lifters or what? If thats the case where is a good place to get them i see alot of 'MOPAR' sites but some are sketch or prices are all over the place.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
NEVER EVER buy enginetech products pure TRASH. It is getting harder and harder to find good parts I am tempted to go back to Mopar lifters but they are $280-330 a stick everywhere

its easy to find good parts but most everyone wants the cheapest crap. tearing a motor down three times before you learn your lesson seems like a bad life strategy

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it always a different lifter? Maybe you have an oil delivery issue?

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it always a different lifter? Maybe you have an oil delivery issue?
The first time was the usual cam/lifter failure. Second time Colapsed lifter due to ****** parts diff cylinder. This time I am not sure yet have to tear it down sort of hard when ya need the truck every day ahah gotta get my jeep running again so this can be down a while.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its easy to find good parts but most everyone wants the cheapest crap. tearing a motor down three times before you learn your lesson seems like a bad life strategy
Yes I agree most people want cheap parts but at the time when I did this OEM lifters where not availiable due to the supply chain excuse bs so I got the mid range lifters cost me $400. The issue alot of people are running into/what im having issues with lately is parts/brands that use to be made well are being made like **** and still have the same high prices so NO its not easy to find good parts anymore and it sucks lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will upload a vid tomorrow so you guys can hear what this pile of crap sounds like lmaoo.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yes I agree most people want cheap parts but at the time when I did this OEM lifters where not availiable due to the supply chain excuse bs so I got the mid range lifters cost me $400. The issue alot of people are running into/what im having issues with lately is parts/brands that use to be made well are being made like **** and still have the same high prices so NO its not easy to find good parts anymore and it sucks lol.
Throw in the fact lifters are also the hardest thing in an engine to machine right,as they have the tightest machining tolerances of the whole engine.Even the factory lifters seem to have taken a hit on quality since covid

Daniel from Texas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can find genuine Ram lifters on line for much less, I rebuilt mine in August with 192k for the first and only time. I'm not knocking you, but if you didn't have the heads done (machined) then you are asking for the problems you are getting. Too many people think they are fine, but these engines are built with little tolerance, they have to be machined. Also, check to ensure the exhaust manifold bolts didn't break, when they start, makes the same lifter tap.

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can find genuine Ram lifters on line for much less, I rebuilt mine in August with 192k for the first and only time. I'm not knocking you, but if you didn't have the heads done (machined) then you are asking for the problems you are getting. Too many people think they are fine, but these engines are built with little tolerance, they have to be machined. Also, check to ensure the exhaust manifold bolts didn't break, when they start, makes the same lifter tap.
Heads where rebuilt I usually dont due to never having a issue but I intend to keep this til it rots in half so i had them done on the first round aswell as the manifolds machined flat. The cheapest OEM lifters I was able to find was $227 a stick online x4. Vid will be uploaded shortly.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced all the lifters in my truck, the cam was like new. Soaked the new mopar lifters for 2 days prior to install. Did the replacement, started it up and click, click, click. Only thing now though is that it decreases in volume after warm up.
Oil is Castrol 5w20 and I add a can of liquid moly every change.

An interesting observation on an engine that I'm building is that there seems to be a sludge/ grease like material in the oil gallery where the left front main bolt goes through. Wonder if there is an oil flow restriction because of this.

J-13GTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Yep, I learned the same way OP did. Bought a cheap set of lifters. Didn't run more then a few minutes till it started getting really noisy. I shut it down and returned the lifters for a refund. Be care with some sites because there are counterfeit lifters out there that sellers are selling as OEM. Go with an actual dealership, parts store or rockauto. I got my OEM lifters from rockuto and they were genuine. Be sure to inspect them when you take them out of the box. I had to send some back because they come loose in shipping and nicked another lifter. If you look around you can get 5% off codes for rockauto.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Throw in the fact lifters are also the hardest thing in an engine to machine right,as they have the tightest machining tolerances of the whole engine.Even the factory lifters seem to have taken a hit on quality since covid
Just curious, if you were doing lifters and cam, what would you use? Thanks.