2014 RAM 5.7 Cam install (8 speed)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David_Jacobs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all,
first post here but have been perusing the board for a while, great info here.

I thought the first post would be some feedback on the cam I installed this month. Cam install was MMX NSR for the RAM (incl. lifters and Kooks LT headers) and took me 5 days in a small dingy garage to install.

My main reason for the install was to avoid/reduce the risk or dreaded lifter failure and broken exhaust bolts, but I was also hoping for a small performance improvement at the same time.

I bought and installed a WB sensor, then worked with Sean at HF to fine tune the tune.

So my general, seat of my pants thoughts are that the idle sound great, very mild, offbeat. There were no meaningful performance gains from the stock HF tune I had (that I could tell from acceleration logs, before and after the cam/LT headers) but I suspect that the issue is that I still have the stock shift points and converter, so can't exploit any gains I suspect are there after 6k rpm. The engine does however feel "free'er"

I tuned with Diablo i3, so I'm looking at options to try change shift points to hopefully take advantage of the more open top end the cam hopefully gives me.

Anyways, anyone want more detailed info or feedback on the combination, I'd be happy to help.

PS Great service from Sean and MXX, will definitely use them again

Cheers,

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hi all,
first post here but have been perusing the board for a while, great info here.

I thought the first post would be some feedback on the cam I installed this month. Cam install was MMX NSR for the RAM (incl. lifters and Kooks LT headers) and took me 5 days in a small dingy garage to install.

My main reason for the install was to avoid/reduce the risk or dreaded lifter failure and broken exhaust bolts, but I was also hoping for a small performance improvement at the same time.

I bought and installed a WB sensor, then worked with Sean at HF to fine tune the tune.

So my general, seat of my pants thoughts are that the idle sound great, very mild, offbeat. There were no meaningful performance gains from the stock HF tune I had (that I could tell from acceleration logs, before and after the cam/LT headers) but I suspect that the issue is that I still have the stock shift points and converter, so can't exploit any gains I suspect are there after 6k rpm. The engine does however feel "free'er"

I tuned with Diablo i3, so I'm looking at options to try change shift points to hopefully take advantage of the more open top end the cam hopefully gives me.

Anyways, anyone want more detailed info or feedback on the combination, I'd be happy to help.

PS Great service from Sean and MXX, will definitely use them again

Cheers,

Welcome abroad David,there's a few of us Albertans on here,i'm in Airdrie . If you're interested the ALX (Challenger/Charger) group holds a weekly Wed night meet at the North end Timmies / Marks / Crappy Tire parking lot in Airdrie in the summer.I'm expecting them to maybe hold one this Wed if the weather is nice,we'll just have to observe the social distancing rules for a bit yet.Us truck guys are welcome to the meets.They are also thinking of doing a bit of a cruise this sunday,i'm not sure if i'll make that one,but they're usually a bit of fun,with some "spirited" driving involved,lol.If you're on facebook hunt up their page,they're the Alberta LX group :aka: ALX on face book.
Rick Wildman

Here's a link to the ALX site.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/137265956491/?notif_t=group_r2j_approved&notif_id=1491001609817709

Last edited: