2016 ram 2500 6.4 long box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Am3gross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
looking for opinions here, whats your preference? benefits of a long bed? i looked at the ram trucks website and i get the same towing and payload with it.. let me hear your thoughts. before i try to buy it tomorrow!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Personally I don't like the long bed look , I prefer the 6.4" .

If you have a use for the long bed then sure go for it . Imo I'd get the 6.4 and buy a nice trailer .

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The only advantages I see are:

1. More cargo carrying capacity.

2. More room to swing a fifth wheel trailer if you have one. However, a slider hitch takes care of any issue you may have bouncing the trailer nose off the cab.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Yeah, I'm like the other I don't care for the long bed, the long bed don't fit my need but they make long bed for a reason, it's just not for me.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
More cargo capacity and 5th wheel towing are about the only advantages. If ram would make their box a true 6.5' bed it would make things so much simpler to me but what do I know...

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
This is my first long bed pick up and let me assure I wont being going back to a short box.

the long bed is more comfortable inside as it spaces the axles out helping spread any shock. It helps make the whole truck seem to ride smoother.

The longer wheel base also helps stability in a cross wind or while towing which is VERY noticeable.

Increased storage. I love it for fishing rods over that 6' mark that never seem to fit well in a short box.

Long box will allow you to put a full sheet of plywood or drywall in the bed and close the gate, and with a cover prevents weather getting to it...

as mentioned towing a 5th wheel with a long box is way more comfortable. Knowing you have more clearance as well as the stability...

I traded a 2015 2500 crew cab short box 6.4 hemi off on my 2015 2500 crew cab long box cummins and have experienced all of this hands down...

Only issues i've run into is parking, i normally park at the back so it isn't really an issue... I am also used to driving larger vehicles so the day to day driving isn't an issue for me.

My father runs a tool box fuel tank combo at the front of his truck bed. While he is towing the camper he can carry nearly 120 gallons of diesel with the stock tank and what is in the back of the truck allowing him to get from camp site to camp site and then worry about fuel...

SouthernBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is my first long bed pick up and let me assure I wont being going back to a short box.

Ditto that. Short boxes dont make sense at all if you are truly using your truck as a truck was intended.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I like a long box also but that extra couple of feet does make it more wieldy when trying to park or maneuver tight spaces. I sure would not want for one if I worked in tight urban traffic.

SouthernBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I like a long box also but that extra couple of feet does make it more wieldy when trying to park or maneuver tight spaces. I sure would not want for one if I worked in tight urban traffic.

Not a problem with a RC. :smoke2:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Not a problem with a RC. :smoke2:

True, but I assumed the OP was talking about a Crew Cab as that what sells more than anything in the 2500 world.

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
I carry a 2' wide toolbox up front on the floor in my long bed. I still have a full 6' 2" to load cargo as the long beds are more like 98". I can slide a large 6' ice fishing tub right behind the toolbox and close the tailgate. Its so nice for how I use my truck and that is where it lies. How you use your truck. I seem to always take too much stuff. You can also load one of these whole in the back...

[URL=http://s1010.photobucket.com/user/wyo2track/media/IMG_2916_zps67f491ee.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1010.photobucket.com/user/wyo2track/media/IMG_1447_zps5298b4a8.jpg.html][/URL]

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What part of Western Wyoming you in, wyo2track? Good lookin' bull ya got there.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine

Long box or not makes me no difference maneuvering in traffic.

my father was actually with me over the weekend and mentioned as we drove through a densely populated town in the shopping areas about how i drove it like it was a small car...

I drive our fire trucks and such fairly regularly for my department so a pick up isn't anything but a thing...

AKDrifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Parking is the only downside to me, but not a big deal.
I've got the CCLB and it feels like it has a better turning radius than my '01 extra cab long bed.

Plus, I plan on having a goose neck trailer for hauling my tractors around and a long bed is best for that.

OP
OP
A

Am3gross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Well fellas i decided that the long bed was just to much. I couldnt park it easily.. lol