2017 not turning over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew Robertson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone,

Decided to get my wife new tires on her truck today, tried to start the truck and it will not crank. I have tested the battery and alternator and those are fine. only has 28k miles

-When i turn the FOB, all the lights and blower work
-When i turn the FOB, i hear a single click and i can hear the fuel pump
-After i turn the key and the starter clicks, the truck driver dash starts blinking and then turns back on.
-Jumped the truck, no start

Just changed the starter and its still not turning over. I have not checked the fuses yet but its been pretty cold here in dallas, down in the 40's, but that shouldn't be an issue.

Any ideas? its not throwing any codes whatsoever, hate to have to take it to the stealership.

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
How would you test the alternator if it’s not running??? Either way an alternator wouldn’t cause a no crank.

Are you getting power at the starter when the key is in the start position?

What year/model?

I would check the fuses, should be one of the first things to check.

What scan tool are you using to check for codes? Is it capable of retrieving communication codes?

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone,

Decided to get my wife new tires on her truck today, tried to start the truck and it will not crank. I have tested the battery and alternator and those are fine. only has 28k miles

-After i turn the key and the starter clicks, the truck driver dash starts blinking and then turns back on.

Just changed the starter and its still not turning over. I have not checked the fuses yet but its been pretty cold here in dallas, down in the 40's, but that shouldn't be an issue.

Any ideas? its not throwing any codes whatsoever, hate to have to take it to the stealership.

Sure sounds like a failing battery and/or loose or corroded battery terminal cable ends and battery posts.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Check the K7 relay in the fuse box, that is for the starter. You can jump the 30-87a terminals to enable the starter.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone,

Update?

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
“Pretty cold”

The 40’s isn’t cold, certainly not cold enough to matter on a no crank situation.

I have had batteries a few volts low cause nutty stuff on every 2013+ Ford on my work fleet.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Clean all terminals,check and clean grounds, load test battery,battery sounds like it needs replaced.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
What exactly did you do test the battery? Check static voltage with a multimeter?

If so that's not good enough. Pull it and take it to an auto parts store and have it load tested. Then you will know for sure.

Your description of the issues is a classic example of a battery that still shows proper voltage, but does not have proper amperage or has a cell going bad. Modern vehicles are extremely sensitive to proper voltage and amperage. Loose one or the other and lots of flaky things can happen.

Good luck