2018 Ram 2500 Mega Cab SLT 2WD 5.7 Am I wasting My time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For you maybe but not everyone needs or gives a damn about a 4X4 because their need is not off road or they are not into thinking it makes them cool. Personally to me a limited slip rear axle can get one out of traction trouble in most cases. Wouldn't give you a bucket of warm spit for a 4X4 and their prospective maintenance issues for the type of usage I have.

Agree. Limited slip on a two-wheel drive has the same number of traction wheels as a 4x4, just are both on the rear. Plus, less weight, better mileage.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 017934 miles.

OP
OP
tbird71

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dusty; How does your new laramie ride with the 18" wheels?
Can you notice the difference vs say the 20" wheels?

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tbh, you should just say **** that truck and get a '19 Classic. Theres really great deals to be had on them.
I got my 19 classic 1500 lonestar crew cab short bed 5.7 8spd with 3.21s and locking dif, center console and 8.4radio brand new off the lot for $29.5 (msrp was 43 and change). After taxes and extended warranty came out to around 35.
You really dont lose that much space going with a crew cab instead of mega cab. Plus it handles like a dream, accelerates like a muscle car, and looks damn good. Plus theres the perk of it being the end of a generation, so just about all of the kinks have already been worked out.
Just my $0.02

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dusty; How does your new laramie ride with the 18" wheels?
Can you notice the difference vs say the 20" wheels?

Funny you should ask the question.

My two previous 4th gens both had 20" wheels. Of course at the time 4th gen Ram 1500s were significantly better riding than all the other truck manufacturers, regardless of tire size. The 2014 came with Goodyear SRAs which were spec'ed at 39 pounds pressure.

I'd have to say my '19 DT with the 18" wheels provide a softer ride, but this Laramie came with Goodyear Fortitudes and the normal pressure is 36 pounds. Yes, there's a difference but in all honesty I have no way of determining if it's in the tires or wheel size. Maybe, when I re-tire and if I select another brand tire, will I know the difference.

Gotta tell you though, either I got the best front wheel alignment in my entire life, or these Fortitudes are exceptionally good wearing tires. My 20" tires on the 4th gens could never wear evenly, Goodyear, Firestone, or Bridgestones. These Fortitudes are wearing even across the entire tread on both sides!

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 017949 miles.

OP
OP
tbird71

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I have the 20" SR-As on my reg cab it rides better than the 2006 model I test drove way back when, but with that small truck and big tires there's only SO much it can do. In FL the roads are all pretty smooth but up here in "tax first fix later" Illinois it's pretty bouncy.

OP
OP
tbird71

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it's going to get interesting in the next couple months
The 2020s are already arriving or any day now, dealers have TONS of classics, none of which are moving very well, even at 15K back. I'm thinkin there's gonna be a fire sale comin, should be fun.

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
While I agree, many of us would say the same about a 3.21 geared short bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Understandable. Both short bed and 3.21s are somewhat limiting on payload and towing capability, however the 3.21s do offer better fuel economy (which it sounds like OP wants) and better acceleration at highway speeds. Having driven both 3.92s and 3.21s back to back, from my experience it seems like the 3.92s pull a little harder off the line, and the 3.21s pull significantly harder in the top end. That was only my experience though, and may not be 100% accurate as i am not a machine.

Also, shortbed did not phase me as it was still a collosal step up in bed size from my old dakota, and I have plans to acquire a cargo trailer to take care of all of my hauling needs. Obviously, people have different needs and expectations out of their trucks which is why so many different variations exist, so it's all about finding the one thats right for what you want and need.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tbird71

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know where you got that Big Horn for 29.5K but that was a deal. They're about $1500-$2000 more here for the same truck. My minimum
requirements are the upgraded cloth seating, the floor console and 8.0 UConnect radio I think I'd rather have the 18" wheels too which cuts cost a little. I haven't ruled anything out yet.