2019 HD Tail lights in a 4th gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
wiring or programming? Did you set the tails to LED so that the computer doesn't think that the bulb is out?

Rotciv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
wiring or programming? Did you set the tails to LED so that the computer doesn't think that the bulb is out?

I'm going to say it was programming. Can't confirm. Yes, followed every setting that Roman217 posted on page 57. This was just something random. I immediately swapped them out with the halogen tails fitted with LED bulbs and saw that the problem continued. Eventually the problem went away after altering some settings fitted for the halogens, but I will stick with them for now in case the problem pops up again.

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Has anyone done this that had to deal with the factory amp? Mine is blocking access to the BCM connections I can barely get my hand up to touch the left one, but the right one is nearly fully covered and inaccessible. Plus what j can see the amp isn't exactly easily removed.... would be open to suggestions, or hints on easily removing the amp

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone done this that had to deal with the factory amp? Mine is blocking access to the BCM connections I can barely get my hand up to touch the left one, but the right one is nearly fully covered and inaccessible. Plus what j can see the amp isn't exactly easily removed.... would be open to suggestions, or hints on easily removing the amp

You have to pull the amp. You’re not getting up there any other way.

Two bolts on the side of thenbracket and one near the top of dash, on the bottom of the dash support beam between the amp and parking brake. You'll need a 12inch extension and a, I think, 7mm to get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

48PowerWagon

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You have to pull the amp. You’re not getting up there any other way.

Two bolts on the side of thenbracket and one near the top of dash, on the bottom of the dash support beam between the amp and parking brake. You'll need a 12inch extension and a, I think, 7mm to get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Roman is correct, That's what I did

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
More like 12 inches of extension. When I went back out and took a closer look I found the same info with my pesky eye holes. Also, why has nobody mentioned how much of a pain it is to access those BCM connections? The one on the right isn't horrible, but the one on the left was definitely a pain to get out and one handedly disassemble it and put it back together. But got my wiring installed. I need to redo the passenger side connector that ties to the factory plug. I built it upside down and can't for the life of me get it to depin. So I'll have new parts Wednesday. If I ever do this again I'm letting @Roman217 build me a harness...

Last edited:

ReyRey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Hello guys,

First and foremost thank you and awesome everything you all have accomplished here, thank you so much, I have been gathering information and ordering the tail lights (they're arriving tomorrow by the way) exclusively to add blind spot system, that said, would love to have the mirrors also working accordingly so I have a 2018 1500 Larimer with power folding auto dimming mirrors, so I've been doing some research because wanted to keep the same style mirrors and wonder if this replacement glass can fit my particular model, keep in mind that 2017+ with auto dimming have a different round mounting mechanism which looks just like the 2019 ones, so maybe this will work, hopefully..

20201119_225309.jpg
20201119_225341.jpg
68402094AA
68402095AA

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Check both driver and passenger side... They were different on my 18 Laramie

M² Mods.

ReyRey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Check both driver and passenger side... They were different on my 18 Laramie

M² Mods.

I'll definitely do that, haven't checked or removed anything yet, it'll be awesome if I can make it work, I'll love to keep my power folding and auto-dimming setup, thanks for the heads up..

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Well an update for me. When I built my harness I didn't get the - can bus wire fully seated on the passenger side tail light. After much trouble and error i noticed that. Fixed it and everything worked. One note though. I programmed the truck with the can bus connectors plugged in and 8.4 screen would just stay black until I unplugged them. It also took a while for the BSM stuff to populate on the 8.4 and only did when i had the canbus connectors unplugged. Not sue why, but just food for thought. Program, let the BSM stuff populate on the radio, and then plug in your connectors is what worked for me, curious if anyone else had a similar issue?

Also big thanks to @Jimmy07 for putting up with my questions and being a bother and helping me troubleshoot a bit. And thanks to @Roman217 for your help to. Glad everything appears to be working, going for a drive next in a minute so I should find out how much I enjoy it soon enough

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I'll definitely do that, haven't checked or removed anything yet, it'll be awesome if I can make it work, I'll love to keep my power folding and auto-dimming setup, thanks for the heads up..
Pictures in this post from my mirror thread.

M² Mods.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello guys,

First and foremost thank you and awesome everything you all have accomplished here, thank you so much, I have been gathering information and ordering the tail lights (they're arriving tomorrow by the way) exclusively to add blind spot system, that said, would love to have the mirrors also working accordingly so I have a 2018 1500 Larimer with power folding auto dimming mirrors, so I've been doing some research because wanted to keep the same style mirrors and wonder if this replacement glass can fit my particular model, keep in mind that 2017+ with auto dimming have a different round mounting mechanism which looks just like the 2019 ones, so maybe this will work, hopefully..

View attachment 227956
View attachment 227957
68402094AA
68402095AA
Is that shape the same? Id be interested as well for my 17.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

blueck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did the black incandescent setup. $78 each new from the dealer. I think these came on the "Night Edition" 19 Ram without the LED package. Always prefer having a amber rear turn.

I did the wiring a little different, i just moved the backup light pins to the turn signal pins on the bcm so I didn't have to run wire all the way back or stuff anything through the body. then i just tapped into the trailer 7 way harness for the backup lights. there is a BCM code for backup light circuit open stored, but no messages in the cluster.

126106525_857713911647489_1243023346715327202_n.jpg

Last edited:

CustomExpress

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been digging through this thread to do this mod on my 2017 1500. Want to do the LED lights w/o blindspot. Just to clarify,
1: just follow @Jimmy07's posts on page 10: Route the old signal wires to the corresponding spots on the new lights, running new wires up to the BCM for turn signals,

2: then use AlpfaOBD, following @Roman217's post #562 in this thread, and I'll be all set?

Would like to know what the distance is to run up to the BCM so I can get the right amount of wire.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been digging through this thread to do this mod on my 2017 1500. Want to do the LED lights w/o blindspot. Just to clarify,
1: just follow @Jimmy07's posts on page 10: Route the old signal wires to the corresponding spots on the new lights, running new wires up to the BCM for turn signals,

2: then use AlpfaOBD, following @Roman217's post #562 in this thread, and I'll be all set?

Would like to know what the distance is to run up to the BCM so I can get the right amount of wire.

What is your cab and bed length configuration?

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
What is your cab and bed length configuration?
I don’t mean this to sound like a smartass question, I’m genuinely asking. What’s the difference? Is the process different for the different cabs?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t mean this to sound like a smartass question, I’m genuinely asking. What’s the difference? Is the process different for the different cabs?

Nope, just (slightly) different wire lengths and locations for "branches" in the harness.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Different cab/bed configurations will have different overall lengths and need different lengths of wires to reach the tail lights from the firewall.

Sinistre1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If someone didnt need to have the turn signals yellow would they still need the additional wiring/ back mods? I love the idea of these on my 16 but I definitely dont want to start running wires and spinning stuff all over the place. If a harness swap or wire swap at the lights end could get me 90% of functionality everything works but aesthetically different (red instead of yellow turns) I'd be game. It isnt clear to me since I read that a simplified hook up was available but you'd lose the yellow turns

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If someone didnt need to have the turn signals yellow would they still need the additional wiring/ back mods? I love the idea of these on my 16 but I definitely dont want to start running wires and spinning stuff all over the place. If a harness swap or wire swap at the lights end could get me 90% of functionality everything works but aesthetically different (red instead of yellow turns) I'd be game. It isnt clear to me since I read that a simplified hook up was available but you'd lose the yellow turns
Yes, and retroshop actually offers a cheaper adapter harness that does exactly what you want.