2021 Ram Hemi 5.7 engine Ticks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmdram21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe this may be a common issue. I have 2021 Ram 1500 with 37k and recent oil change mid November. Have not driven much but noticed a loud ticking noise from engine last couple times drove truck. Taking back to dealer tomorrow and was looking for others input as to experience with resolving ticking noise.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Usual suspects here are exhaust leak from either broken manifold bolts or cracked manifolds or lifter cam issues. Lifter failure will wear the cam lobe down.

If tick goes away when it warms up, it's most likely an exhaust leak. If it's constant could be lifter cam which is a bigger issue.

Good news is you're under warranty. Good luck!

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Please let us know their diagnosis. With such low mileage, I'm guessing exhaust leak which is the lesser of the 2 evils.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Research hemi tick, look up the threads in my sig, rule out exhaust bolts. Always use a top filter, see oil filter thread in my sig, it is indeed half the battle. The wrong filter and the best oil on the planet can still tick, I speak from experience of that exact scenario. Royal Purple 20-820 filter has won the forum over, and then pair a lubrication strategy with that. If it happens right after an oil change it is likely not a mechanical issue but rather a result of the lube strategy either filter or oil. It is not uncommon right after an oil change to have tick, but then as the additive plate with pressure that tick can go away. But there are also options to avoid all of this, read those threads good luck.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Research hemi tick, look up the threads in my sig, rule out exhaust bolts. Always use a top filter, see oil filter thread in my sig, it is indeed half the battle. The wrong filter and the best oil on the planet can still tick, I speak from experience of that exact scenario. Royal Purple 20-820 filter has won the forum over, and then pair a lubrication strategy with that. If it happens right after an oil change it is likely not a mechanical issue but rather a result of the lube strategy either filter or oil. It is not uncommon right after an oil change to have tick, but then as the additive plate with pressure that tick can go away. But there are also options to avoid all of this, read those threads good luck.
You mean that Royal Purple has won you over.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Someone hasnt read the oil filter thread :)

In fairness, this is 5 gens so maybe he hasnt seen the mod threads no more RP 20-820 now what threads, lol.

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I believe this may be a common issue. I have 2021 Ram 1500 with 37k and recent oil change mid November. Have not driven much but noticed a loud ticking noise from engine last couple times drove truck. Taking back to dealer tomorrow and was looking for others input as to experience with resolving ticking noise.
What did the dealer say?

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There's more then a few of us who agree with Burla,lol
Someone hasnt read the oil filter thread :)

In fairness, this is 5 gens so maybe he hasnt seen the mod threads no more RP 20-820 now what threads, lol.
I know I have. I'll stick with my manual, which says, "0W-40"...period - no mention of a particular brand, which means if it has the API Donut on the back it's good to go.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I know I have. I'll stick with my manual, which says, "0W-40"...period - no mention of a particular brand, which means if it has the API Donut on the back it's good to go.
I don't think anybody is forcing you to do anything.It's your truck,so run whatever you want in it.

OP
OP
T

tmdram21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What did the dealer say?
Confirmed two lifters on each side with few metal shavings found. Have been work in progress to replace all lifters and cams. Only thing dealer would say known issue but never have seen in a low mileage truck. Its under warranty but not sure if that makes feel great for longer term.

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Confirmed two lifters on each side with few metal shavings found. Have been work in progress to replace all lifters and cams. Only thing dealer would say known issue but never have seen in a low mileage truck. Its under warranty but not sure if that makes feel great for longer term.
Good luck! I’m glad you’re still under warranty. Happy holidays.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im not starting an oil debate, just curious how often you changed oil, what oil and filter you used and who did the changes?

Just curious since it's such low mileage. I am in no way jumping to conclusions and blaming it on lubrication issues. It could easily be something else.

I would like to add to the never ending pool of data if possible.

Thanks for your time and for the update.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tmdram21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry have been on the road for holidays. I am not sure brand of oil but it’s 5W20 recommended by dealer. I typically change every 5k. When I picked up my truck I did probe Service Advisor on oil and he did recommend going back to a synthetic oil. I left my truck at home as still not sure if it sounds right. Plan to drive locally and also stop by friends who own Rams with same engine to compare sounds.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Appreciate the update. Man that's a bummer at such low mileage. Glad you're getting fixed up under warranty.

Always use full synthetic. Check out some of the oil threads and choose a good filter/ oil brand / weight for your climate.

I personally run Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 with Lubegard additive year round in the FL Panhandle. I also run a Fram ultra synthetic filter. I change oil at about 25%-30% on the meter and that's usually about 6 or 7 K. I'm at 67K right now. No lifter tick. She's very quiet until recently I developed an exhaust leak I'm about to repair. That's the lesser of the Hemi Tick evils.

Some great info on here with a lot of data thanks to some very knowledgeable and experienced members. I'm not one of them lol but my lubrication strategy was based on research on the forums and I sleep ok.

Good luck!

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go NOLES is that Go Seminoles, Florida State Seminoles, My son lived if FLA and he lived and breathed Football, unfortunately he passed away because of the JAB, I'll miss him forever!!!

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes Florida State Seminoles. Got my undergrad there in early 90's.

So sorry to hear about your son.

OP
OP
T

tmdram21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Appreciate the update. Man that's a bummer at such low mileage. Glad you're getting fixed up under warranty.

Always use full synthetic. Check out some of the oil threads and choose a good filter/ oil brand / weight for your climate.

I personally run Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 with Lubegard additive year round in the FL Panhandle. I also run a Fram ultra synthetic filter. I change oil at about 25%-30% on the meter and that's usually about 6 or 7 K. I'm at 67K right now. No lifter tick. She's very quiet until recently I developed an exhaust leak I'm about to repair. That's the lesser of the Hemi Tick evils.

Some great info on here with a lot of data thanks to some very knowledgeable and experienced members. I'm not one of them lol but my lubrication strategy was based on research on the forums and I sleep ok.

Good luck!
I am assuming you change your own oil as not sure if dealer allows one to bring your preferred oil. I appreciate your input and others I have read as well. Exhaust leak is on my list to check out too. Thanks