2021 Ram Hemi 5.7 engine Ticks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Go NOLES is that Go Seminoles, Florida State Seminoles, My son lived if FLA and he lived and breathed Football, unfortunately he passed away because of the JAB, I'll miss him forever!!!
Yeah, the 'Noles got robbed with not being picked for the championship, but everyone knows they deserve to be there much more than others.

So sorry for your loss, I cannot even wrap my head around that.

OP
OP
T

tmdram21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought I would provide an update on my journey. As I noted cams and lifters were replaced. After about one week I took the truck back in as it was making similar ticking noise. The dealer found two lifters front and back on left side had failed. Replaced and added synthetic oil this time and said I was good to go. I thought there was still a noise but took the truck north and returned home with additional 1,800 miles. There definitely was that ticking noise heard clearly driver side front wheel well. I returned to dealer asking them to check exhaust. The lead shop tech agreed there was a noise that was not normal. He took it in and decision was made to replace the engine. They indicated there was something internal and best just to replace it. Now I am waiting for engine which is expected end of this week

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I thought I would provide an update on my journey. As I noted cams and lifters were replaced. After about one week I took the truck back in as it was making similar ticking noise. The dealer found two lifters front and back on left side had failed. Replaced and added synthetic oil this time and said I was good to go. I thought there was still a noise but took the truck north and returned home with additional 1,800 miles. There definitely was that ticking noise heard clearly driver side front wheel well. I returned to dealer asking them to check exhaust. The lead shop tech agreed there was a noise that was not normal. He took it in and decision was made to replace the engine. They indicated there was something internal and best just to replace it. Now I am waiting for engine which is expected end of this week.
Firstly, glad to hear all is under warranty, and getting a new engine is a good thing, but unfortunate that at such low mileage you're experiencing this.

I have to assume that it's a long block you're getting, but I'd be asking the Dealer if there are any parts from your old engine that are getting transferred to the new engine.
Just so you have it all documented ;)

At this point, I would INSIST that the new engine receives synthetic oil right from the start.
Do not use bulk grade lube in your HEMI moving forward is my recommendation.

As this is a new engine, and it'll need break in, I'd switch out the oil and filter after a short 2K miles, maybe 3K miles, tops... but that's just my opinion.

You may also want to consider migrating to the Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter and either Red Line High Performance 5W30 or High Performance Lubricants Super Car 0W30 as your preferred oil selections moving forward. They are not inexpensive oils, but they deliver what they say they do!

That, or Pennzoil Ultram Premium 5W30 with a bottle of Biotech Lubegard additive every OCI. Whatever your budget can accommodate.

My $0.02 ;)

jdolotina

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I thought I would provide an update on my journey. As I noted cams and lifters were replaced. After about one week I took the truck back in as it was making similar ticking noise. The dealer found two lifters front and back on left side had failed. Replaced and added synthetic oil this time and said I was good to go. I thought there was still a noise but took the truck north and returned home with additional 1,800 miles. There definitely was that ticking noise heard clearly driver side front wheel well. I returned to dealer asking them to check exhaust. The lead shop tech agreed there was a noise that was not normal. He took it in and decision was made to replace the engine. They indicated there was something internal and best just to replace it. Now I am waiting for engine which is expected end of this week
I am in the same boat. 2020 Ram non etorque 5.7L and lifters, cam and bent rods replaced at around 46k miles. 3 weeks later, I noticed the same tick on the right side of truck. Took it back in and was told it’s normal. Opened a case with Ram and took it to another dealer for a second opinion as there was serious mistrust between the original dealer and myself after the 4th water pump replacement. Second dealer said something is wrong internally and ordering you a new engine. I am incredibly relieved. New engine has arrived, but weather has created problems getting the truck back in. 49k on the odometer. Personally think it was a dealer induced failure while diagnosing the water pump issue.

Regarding oil strategies…. Changed on every service interval. Penzoil ultra platinum 5w-20 with a Wix synthetic filter.

I’m really hoping the new engine restores my confidence as this has been damn near a year long adventure between water pump issues and valve train problems with the first dealer. I wish you the best as well. At the end of the day I love my truck, but I’ll cut ties with Ram if the new engine gives me any grief.

Ram Cares has been awesome in addition to the second dealer. I really do feel like I’m finally getting some resolution on this rather sore subject.

OP
OP
T

tmdram21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Firstly, glad to hear all is under warranty, and getting a new engine is a good thing, but unfortunate that at such low mileage you're experiencing this.

I have to assume that it's a long block you're getting, but I'd be asking the Dealer if there are any parts from your old engine that are getting transferred to the new engine.
Just so you have it all documented ;)

At this point, I would INSIST that the new engine receives synthetic oil right from the start.
Do not use bulk grade lube in your HEMI moving forward is my recommendation.

As this is a new engine, and it'll need break in, I'd switch out the oil and filter after a short 2K miles, maybe 3K miles, tops... but that's just my opinion.

You may also want to consider migrating to the Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter and either Red Line High Performance 5W30 or High Performance Lubricants Super Car 0W30 as your preferred oil selections moving forward. They are not inexpensive oils, but they deliver what they say they do!

That, or Pennzoil Ultram Premium 5W30 with a bottle of Biotech Lubegard additive every OCI. Whatever your budget can accommodate.

My $0.02 ;)
I was told no parts from current engine will be used. Out with old and drop new one in. Delivery of new engine now Jan 23, 2024. Thank you for comments and suggestions.

OP
OP
T

tmdram21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am in the same boat. 2020 Ram non etorque 5.7L and lifters, cam and bent rods replaced at around 46k miles. 3 weeks later, I noticed the same tick on the right side of truck. Took it back in and was told it’s normal. Opened a case with Ram and took it to another dealer for a second opinion as there was serious mistrust between the original dealer and myself after the 4th water pump replacement. Second dealer said something is wrong internally and ordering you a new engine. I am incredibly relieved. New engine has arrived, but weather has created problems getting the truck back in. 49k on the odometer. Personally think it was a dealer induced failure while diagnosing the water pump issue.

Regarding oil strategies…. Changed on every service interval. Penzoil ultra platinum 5w-20 with a Wix synthetic filter.

I’m really hoping the new engine restores my confidence as this has been damn near a year long adventure between water pump issues and valve train problems with the first dealer. I wish you the best as well. At the end of the day I love my truck, but I’ll cut ties with Ram if the new engine gives me any grief.

Ram Cares has been awesome in addition to the second dealer. I really do feel like I’m finally getting some resolution on this rather sore subject.
Yes, I have been very happy with local dealer’s service And attention to resolving issue. It’s not dealer I bought the truck from so very happy. Also, glad you now are getting the issue resolved. I am in same boat love my truck and hopefully new engine does the trick.

Racing Woody

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2022 Rebel w/32K on it just did the same thing. I have had since new and have had dealer perform all service on schedule. Mine engine never ticked, no prior issues and out of the blue turned on truck and real rough idle, within a minute check engine light came on flashing and beeping. Code pulled misfire.

New camshaft & lifters are on order at dealer, has compression, no metal in oil. They think a lifter went bad and wiped the cam. They think it was just a faulty lifter and a fluke?