2025 Ram 1500 TRX Drops 6.2L Hellcat V8, New 3.0L Hurricane I6 Packs Over 500 HP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1695844842467.png

As you're well aware, 2024 is the final year of the Hellcat-powered Ram TRX off-road pickup truck. Chrysler is going down the inline-six route for 2025, with said engine being the 3.0-liter Hurricane.

1695844915229.png

1695844972897.png

Officially dubbed Stellantis Hurricane, this lump comes in two flavors. The standard-output specification belts out a respectable 420 horsepower and 468 pound-feet (635 Nm), which is more than you get from the B58 inline-six turbocharged engine of the BMW M340i compact executive sedan.

In the Ram 1500-based Jeep Grand Wagoneer, the high-output specification is an extra over the 6.4-liter HEMI. Rated at 510 horsepower and 500 pound-feet (678 Nm), this lump is 39 horsepower and 45 pound-feet (61 Nm) up on the naturally-aspirated V8.

It also rivals the S58 in the BMW M3, which is low-key impressive in every respect. How much power and torque can we look forward to from the 3.0-liter Hurricane in the 2025 Ram 1500 TRX? As per a leak that's been making the rounds on multiple forums, we're dealing with the high-output specification.

You already know the numbers, but some peeps claim that we're going to receive a bit more oomph. Given that Chrysler is much obliged to take the Hurricane beyond 1,000 horsepower as a crate engine, it's easy to imagine 700-odd horsepower in this particular application, therefore matching the soon-to-be-discontinued Hellcat supercharged V8.

Also shared by Butter Da Insider, the leak in question lists vehicle identification number 1C6SRFUP8SN500347 and the 8HP75 torque-converter automatic. Designed by ZF, this gearbox is called 8HP75 because it has eight forward gears and takes up to 750 Nm (553 pound-feet) of torque.

That's as important of a detail as it gets, for the high-output Hurricane is pretty close to said rating. By comparison, the 2021 to 2024 Ram 1500 TRX is equipped with the 8HP95 that supports up to 900 Nm (664 pound-feet). The diesel-specific version can easily handle 1,000 Nm (738 pound-feet) of twist.

Revealed in August 2020 for the 2021 model year, the half-ton pickup truck with 35-inch rubber boots can hit an electronically limited 118 miles per hour (190 kilometers per hour). Chrysler quotes 12.9 seconds at 108 miles per hour (174 kilometers per hour) for the quarter mile, as well as 4.5 seconds from zero to 60 miles per hour (97 kilometers per hour).

The 2021 Ram 1500 TRX used to retail at $69,996 (plus $1,695 for the destination freight charge). Although exempt from the gas-guzzler tax, it's a heavy drinker. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the four-wheel-drive thriller averages 12 miles per gallon (19.6 liters per 100 kilometers) on the agency's combined test cycle.

Although the build & price tool doesn't list the 2024 model at the moment of writing, we do know that Chrysler is bidding farewell to the Hellcat-powered TRX with a special edition that costs $117,625 (plus $1,995). By comparison, the 2023 model year Ram 1500 TRX carries a starting price of $85,700.

Online article by Autoevolution

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Those are some serious HP numbers.

I guess new TRX buyers are gonna have to glue some popsicle sticks to the calipers and shove them through the rim spokes to get that ole tick-edy-clacky sound we've all come to love and expect from our hemis.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I think the Hurricane has great potential, but in a hot-rod super truck it's a mistake...
I know a few Raptor owners who's biggest complaint about their truck isn't the HP#s their 3.5Ls make (which is impressive) but they sound like tuner cars...
Nothing sounds like a V8 and the TRX was arguably one of the best...
In fact when Ford brought back the V8 for the RaptorR every commercial and vid featured generous sound bytes to appease the masses...

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm still trying to figure out why we're so concerned with less cylinders if they're still trying to squeeze a bunch if power out of it. Power requires fuel. What's the mpg's on these things?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
200 less HP...
The HP/Torque number for the TRX specific Hurricane engine have not been announced, just the current production numbers.
Your forgetting about the "HurriCrate I-6" which is has potential 1000 HP numbers. A good indication of HP numbers is what the SRT cars will have.

Wirerat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The HP/Torque number for the TRX specific Hurricane engine have not been announced, just the current production numbers.
Your forgetting about the "HurriCrate I-6" which is has potential 1000 HP numbers. A good indication of HP numbers is what the SRT cars will have.
The article (if true) added that the new trx is getting the regular 1500's 8hp75. That's a good indication of a power loss vs current 8hp90.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The article (if true) added that the new trx is getting the regular 1500's 8hp75. That's a good indication of a power loss vs current 8hp90.
It notes the VIN number as pointing to have the 8HP75 transmission which means absolutely nothing. I've seen in person prototype vehicles which underpinnings have nothing to do with the body VIN, they use production vehicles and reconfigure them. Also I know people who's job it is to add/subtract parts and assemblies to a vehicle to meet the engineering specs, like entire engines, transmissions, suspensions, etc.

Wirerat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Makes sense.
It notes the VIN number as pointing to have the 8HP75 transmission which means absolutely nothing. I've seen in person prototype vehicles which underpinnings have nothing to do with the body VIN, they use production vehicles and reconfigure them. Also I know people who's job it is to add/subtract parts and assemblies to a vehicle to meet the engineering specs, like entire engines, transmissions, suspensions, etc.
Cool, we already knew the hellcat is gone. The article really doesn't add much new info.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm still trying to figure out why we're so concerned with less cylinders if they're still trying to squeeze a bunch if power out of it. Power requires fuel. What's the mpg's on these things?
Power does require fuel, but a forced induction engine only needs massive amounts of fuel when making boost. When driving at lower load you don't need boost, thus the fuel savings.

They've been doing basically the same thing with MDS on the Hemi for years. Under light load half the cylinders drop and the 5.7L V8 becomes essentially a 2.85L four. You can achieve a similar result with turbocharging a small engine, and not have all the complicated MDS stuff.

Reliability, durability and performance of turbo engines have made great strides over the past decade. GM is offering a ten year warranty on the turbo four in Silverado, they stand behind it and they want buyers to be confident in it. Yes I know nothing will sound like a naturally aspirated high displacement V8, but increasing demands for both power AND efficiency are finally bringing the V8 era to a close.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The TRX uses the 8HP95,same as the TrackHawks,which is rated at 700lb-ft compared to the 90's 663 lb-ft.I agree going back to the 75 is a big disappointment,as the 90's and 95's shift way better under load then the 70's and 75's do.plus handle alot more torque

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those are some serious HP numbers.

I guess new TRX buyers are gonna have to glue some popsicle sticks to the calipers and shove them through the rim spokes to get that ole tick-edy-clacky sound we've all come to love and expect from our hemis.
Playing cards in the spokes with clothespins is my jam

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Power does require fuel, but a forced induction engine only needs massive amounts of fuel when making boost. When driving at lower load you don't need boost, thus the fuel savings.

They've been doing basically the same thing with MDS on the Hemi for years. Under light load half the cylinders drop and the 5.7L V8 becomes essentially a 2.85L four. You can achieve a similar result with turbocharging a small engine, and not have all the complicated MDS stuff.

Reliability, durability and performance of turbo engines have made great strides over the past decade. GM is offering a ten year warranty on the turbo four in Silverado, they stand behind it and they want buyers to be confident in it. Yes I know nothing will sound like a naturally aspirated high displacement V8, but increasing demands for both power AND efficiency are finally bringing the V8 era to a close.
If it's anything like Ford's 3.5L Ecoboost, it will be in and out of boost often I'm assuming due to the weight of the vehicle it's trying to move. It would stay out of boost on a downhill run or on 100% flat ground.

Our Expedition was quick and had virtually no turbo lag. Rather surprising to me... That said, it was in boost more than not and even at 70mph on the interstate it would never climb above 18 mpg. My Ram (in 8th gear) on the interstate at 70 mph gets in the 20 - 21 mpg range. If their goal is fuel efficiency... I doubt they see much of it.

It did sound pretty terrible too. I loathe the sound that it made. Awful.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it's anything like Ford's 3.5L Ecoboost, it will be in and out of boost often I'm assuming due to the weight of the vehicle it's trying to move. It would stay out of boost on a downhill run or on 100% flat ground.
That is one problem with boost. The engine itself has to be sized properly to move the vehicle without boost if you are going to see major gains in fuel economy. A 3L six moving 5000+lbs of truck? Not a great start.

These engines are designed to do well on the gubmint emissions and economy testing, which is done in a closed environment, so they often get worse than advertised fuel economy in the real world.

If you want to better know what to expect roll on over to the Jeep forums and ask Grand Wagoneer owners what they're seeing. They've had the Hurricane for a little while now and their vehicle shares a platform with the Ram. Should be very similar.

As far as the exhaust note goes there are some setups which can make a straight six sound decent, but it will never be a V8.