2025 Ram 1500 TRX Drops 6.2L Hellcat V8, New 3.0L Hurricane I6 Packs Over 500 HP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1695844842467.png

As you're well aware, 2024 is the final year of the Hellcat-powered Ram TRX off-road pickup truck. Chrysler is going down the inline-six route for 2025, with said engine being the 3.0-liter Hurricane.

1695844915229.png

1695844972897.png

Officially dubbed Stellantis Hurricane, this lump comes in two flavors. The standard-output specification belts out a respectable 420 horsepower and 468 pound-feet (635 Nm), which is more than you get from the B58 inline-six turbocharged engine of the BMW M340i compact executive sedan.

In the Ram 1500-based Jeep Grand Wagoneer, the high-output specification is an extra over the 6.4-liter HEMI. Rated at 510 horsepower and 500 pound-feet (678 Nm), this lump is 39 horsepower and 45 pound-feet (61 Nm) up on the naturally-aspirated V8.

It also rivals the S58 in the BMW M3, which is low-key impressive in every respect. How much power and torque can we look forward to from the 3.0-liter Hurricane in the 2025 Ram 1500 TRX? As per a leak that's been making the rounds on multiple forums, we're dealing with the high-output specification.

You already know the numbers, but some peeps claim that we're going to receive a bit more oomph. Given that Chrysler is much obliged to take the Hurricane beyond 1,000 horsepower as a crate engine, it's easy to imagine 700-odd horsepower in this particular application, therefore matching the soon-to-be-discontinued Hellcat supercharged V8.

Also shared by Butter Da Insider, the leak in question lists vehicle identification number 1C6SRFUP8SN500347 and the 8HP75 torque-converter automatic. Designed by ZF, this gearbox is called 8HP75 because it has eight forward gears and takes up to 750 Nm (553 pound-feet) of torque.

That's as important of a detail as it gets, for the high-output Hurricane is pretty close to said rating. By comparison, the 2021 to 2024 Ram 1500 TRX is equipped with the 8HP95 that supports up to 900 Nm (664 pound-feet). The diesel-specific version can easily handle 1,000 Nm (738 pound-feet) of twist.

Revealed in August 2020 for the 2021 model year, the half-ton pickup truck with 35-inch rubber boots can hit an electronically limited 118 miles per hour (190 kilometers per hour). Chrysler quotes 12.9 seconds at 108 miles per hour (174 kilometers per hour) for the quarter mile, as well as 4.5 seconds from zero to 60 miles per hour (97 kilometers per hour).

The 2021 Ram 1500 TRX used to retail at $69,996 (plus $1,695 for the destination freight charge). Although exempt from the gas-guzzler tax, it's a heavy drinker. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the four-wheel-drive thriller averages 12 miles per gallon (19.6 liters per 100 kilometers) on the agency's combined test cycle.

Although the build & price tool doesn't list the 2024 model at the moment of writing, we do know that Chrysler is bidding farewell to the Hellcat-powered TRX with a special edition that costs $117,625 (plus $1,995). By comparison, the 2023 model year Ram 1500 TRX carries a starting price of $85,700.

Online article by Autoevolution

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ford tried it and learned with the Raptor but that's about it...
In 2019 before I bought my 2019 Laramie I went to 3 different Ford dealers intending on testing the F150 with the 5.0L cause I heard how much power they made.
Couldn't find one.
Not one V8 in 3 different towns and 3 different dealers. They were pushing the V6s hard...
Still are as far as I can tell from a quick net search..
As much as I hate a V6... the Ecoboost makes really good power and torque. Ours was 375 HP and 470 lb.ft torque. Their platinum model gave you an extra 25 HP. It would move and do so pretty quickly.

I was impressed with it in our Expedition enough to spend way too much to buy it (to keep the wife happy). But... their transmissions are what concern me. They know they have a problem with the 10 speed and I have the emails from the Ford rep when we were dealing with 2 transmission replacements on ours. They just don't know how to fix them yet, so when people do have a problem they do what we did and spend 6-8 months with it on a lift while Ford scrambles with the redesigned internals.

If Ram can make more power than that and stick a reliable transmission behind it, it might be a win for some people and I could see it being an "option". That said... I don't think their performance truck should have it. Leave those as the big V8s that people want. They should offer both options and let the consumer decide.

I could see the Raptor outselling the TRX in the coming years if Ram only offers the 6-cylinder since they went back to offering both the Raptor and Raptor R.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Leave those as the big V8s that people want. They should offer both options and let the consumer decide.

I could see the Raptor outselling the TRX in the coming years if Ram only offers the 6-cylinder since they went back to offering both the Raptor and Raptor R.
Hemi can't meet the new emissions and economy standards, that's why it is going away. Ford doesn't have that problem with the 5.0, which is a more technologically advanced design.

Will Stellantis give Dodge/Ram/Jeep a new V8 in the future? Possibly. They have access to Ferrari's portfolio of engines. But for right now Hurricane will be the tops unless you are going for a Ram 2500 or 3500. Commercial trucks aren't governed by the same rules as pickups, so they can skate by with worse fuel economy and emissions for a time.

IGotABigHorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi ETorque
The HP/Torque number for the TRX specific Hurricane engine have not been announced, just the current production numbers.
Your forgetting about the "HurriCrate I-6" which is has potential 1000 HP numbers. A good indication of HP numbers is what the SRT cars will have.
Don’t care what the hp & and tq is….. It is going to sound like crap without a v8. 6cyl turbos are great for daily drivers, but to build a super truck with one sucks. My buddies raptor performs great and looks good, but sounds like ass compared to my v8.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Don’t care what the hp & and tq is….. It is going to sound like crap without a v8. 6cyl turbos are great for daily drivers, but to build a super truck with one sucks. My buddies raptor performs great and looks good, but sounds like ass compared to my v8.
Unfortunately that's just your opinion and from a performance standpoint sounds don't matter, especially when a V8 TRX can only see the ass of the I-6 powered version.

Brian Keiper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Ford tried it and learned with the Raptor but that's about it...
In 2019 before I bought my 2019 Laramie I went to 3 different Ford dealers intending on testing the F150 with the 5.0L cause I heard how much power they made.
Couldn't find one.
Not one V8 in 3 different towns and 3 different dealers. They were pushing the V6s hard...
Still are as far as I can tell from a quick net search..
Beforehand a few years ago my buddy was trying to get a V8 big horn, all salesman pushing that v6, he refused, flash forward a few years and the guys at the same dealership patted him on the back for getting his HEMI, then he bought his lease out right, cuz on trade in they wanted to push v6 still..

Ram is so screwed imo

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I’d like to see the engine stats of the I-6 Turbo Hurricane including the compression ratios and which Turbo manufacturer they chose.

Typically a forced induction engine needs to have a lower compression ratio than a naturally aspirated engine , it’s going to generate more heat by exhaust gas restrictions alone…
.. is the coolant capacity going to increase, and what about a transmission or engine oil cooler? All that plumbing with extra fluids is going to add weight in comparison to removing two cylinders ?

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’d like to see the engine stats of the I-6 Turbo Hurricane including the compression ratios and which Turbo manufacturer they chose.

Typically a forced induction engine needs to have a lower compression ratio than a naturally aspirated engine , it’s going to generate more heat by exhaust gas restrictions alone…
.. is the coolant capacity going to increase, and what about a transmission or engine oil cooler? All that plumbing with extra fluids is going to add weight in comparison to removing two cylinders ?
Check the Jeep forums. They've had Hurricane in the Grand Wagoneer for a little while now, I'm sure you can find full specs including curb weight differences between Hemi and Hurricane over there.

Kevin1106

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No v8, I’m out!

TRXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.2 hemi
The government hyway mpg test has varied speeds between 35 and 55. Vehicles are configured to do the best in those conditions. Also, the reason companies use the starter to stop start is the cheapest way to increase mpg on the government city test.

I will say my trx actually does get the hyway mpgs that it rated at. When I run 65.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
The government hyway mpg test has varied speeds between 35 and 55. Vehicles are configured to do the best in those conditions. Also, the reason companies use the starter to stop start is the cheapest way to increase mpg on the government city test.

I will say my trx actually does get the hyway mpgs that it rated at. When I run 65.

Both things are true, but I think Stop/start was more a response to emissions standards than fuel standards.

Idling emissions were killing them with the EPA, CARB, and European equivalents are constantly tightening the ratchet. Remember when VW got hit for having their cars tuned to detect the driving style of the test loop and changing fuel trim to cheat on the emissions testing? Big deal with big fines. As far as start/stop as a whole: Fuel economy testing showed gains of about 1/20th, but emissions dropped by about 1/5th.

I had a *manual transmission* rental in Spain with stop/start. I've gotten used to automatics with them, but first time for a stick stop/start combo for me.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ugh - I would think it would be quite an adjustment getting used to a stick with a stop/start feature.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Ugh - I would think it would be quite an adjustment getting used to a stick with a stop/start feature.

It only engaged if you stayed stationary with the clutch depressed for a few seconds. I've been driving a stick since before I had a license, and was taught early on that it was bad to sit with the clutch pressed in as it caused extra wear. I always put the stick in a neutral position, verify it's in neutral, then let the clutch out and sit with my foot on the brake only. Because of that it never kicked in the first few days I drove it. Then at a roundabout I kept the clutch in since I saw the gap in traffic coming pretty shortly...and it died. Caused me a little concern, but I saw the symbol on the cluster right away so I knew what was up.

I will say it engaged really quickly, as soon as you started letting off the clutch it fired right back up.

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Ford is coming out with a logo for the Raptor chowing down on a Gecko for when the trx gets its balls cut off.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Turbo + stop/start is a terrible combination. Hot oil cooking around the turbo over and over and over again.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Frankly, a TRX is out of my wheelhouse regardless of the motor it's running...
I really don't have a dog in this fight, but I hate to see corporate decisions neuter a great thing...
Didn't they learn anything from the '80s...

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Frankly, a TRX is out of my wheelhouse regardless of the motor it's running...
I really don't have a dog in this fight, but I hate to see corporate decisions neuter a great thing...
Didn't they learn anything from the '80s...
It's not completely the manufacturers decision. Hemi can't meet new federal emissions standards, that's why it is going bye-bye.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
True...
I think the feds were largely to blame for the '80s fiasco as well...
The death of the Muscle Car in the 70's and subsequent malaise of the 80's while new technology was developed to meet increased standards, yep.

I believe the history books will look back on 2005 - 2020 as another golden age of Muscle, and what we're starting into now is more malaise.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
The death of the Muscle Car in the 70's and subsequent malaise of the 80's while new technology was developed to meet increased standards, yep.

I believe the history books will look back on 2005 - 2020 as another golden age of Muscle, and what we're starting into now is more malaise.

Agree on golden age, disagree on malaise. There's a *bunch* of ridiculously quick cars on the market at a variety of price points. Stuff we'd have soiled our selves about in '05...