Keep 4th gen or trade for a 2nd or 3rd gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Figure it was a bit of an exaggeration, but if fixing a truck is out of the question then you need to reduce costs. Since your initial thought was going different to save some money, maybe consider what you could live with for a couple years and move to something cheaper. Could it be gas, 2wd, Gen 3, etc. I almost bought a new 2wd CC 8' bed 6.4 brand new for 1/2 the MSRP of a new 4wd version (my wife actually wanted 4wd, I have used it 2x in 4 years and could have just avoided the catalyst for the events). Just suggesting to look hard at things and get right side up. Good luck.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Figure it was a bit of an exaggeration, but if fixing a truck is out of the question then you need to reduce costs. Since your initial thought was going different to save some money, maybe consider what you could live with for a couple years and move to something cheaper. Could it be gas, 2wd, Gen 3, etc. I almost bought a new 2wd CC 8' bed 6.4 brand new for 1/2 the MSRP of a new 4wd version (my wife actually wanted 4wd, I have used it 2x in 4 years and could have just avoided the catalyst for the events). Just suggesting to look hard at things and get right side up. Good luck.
Yes, I'm a former 4x4 guy. I hunt and fish a lot, so being off the asphalt is common. My last truck was a Silverado 1500 4x4, and I drove that thing for over 20 years. I used it fairly regularly, like when launching my boat, but in all that time I think there may have been a half dozen times I actually "needed" the 4x4, and at that I probably could have avoided it 4 of those times.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I can see needing ball joints and wheel hubs (common wear items) but not the rest of things you listed. Could be wrong but needing front axle or stabilizer bar would be pretty far fetched unless truck was abused or you just flat out hit something. Just dont see all that going at once unless you have had issues for a while and not addressing them as they come up.

OP
OP
Stokersmint

Stokersmint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I scheduled to get a 3rd opinion next week to sort out the ******** that I don’t need. I’m planning on fixing the components that I need by doing the work myself OR if a sweet deal on another truck comes up within the next few weeks that would allow me to get out from under my 4th gen then I may snatch it up. I talked to my banks loan officer and he suggested selling my truck outright and buying a cheaper option which honestly wouldn’t be bad. I actually found a good looking 06 mega cab with 300k miles. It wasn’t a rust bucket by any means and the miles don’t necessarily scare me. It would allow me to get out from under my truck and the money that I would be saving would go towards future repairs. I’ll survive either way and really the situation isn’t as dire as I made it sound, just exploring my options

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d go find a older 96-97 12valve. I’m in SE tx. I see a few that are owned by older folks, registered as farm trucks . Hardly have 100k. We’ll maintained. Not beat to the ground. Parts are more than likely cheaper & also more aftermarket as well. No computer in those yrs either. Million mile engine . Just mo. Not as hard to find as one might think. Not Needle in a haystack hard to find anyway.

OP
OP
Stokersmint

Stokersmint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’d go find an older 96-97 12valve. I’m in SE tx. I see a few that are owned by older folks, registered as farm trucks . Hardly have 100k. We’ll maintained. Not beat to the ground. Parts are more than likely cheaper & also more aftermarket as well. No computer in those yrs either. Million mile engine . Just mo. Not as hard to find as one might think. Not Needle in a haystack hard to find anyway.
Being from the rust belt, it’s hard to find trucks that aren’t rusted out with that type of age for a decent price. If you do find one they go for a premium price and they don’t last on the market long. It’s funny when you see a 12v with <100k miles going for $30k, but there are people willing to pay for it.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I had a chance to get a 1owner 97 extra cab 12valve 3yrs ago for $3k. Had 120k miles . Still kicking myself. For not. Their around in Tx. Little to no rust also. Just have someone who knows what their looking at go with ya. You’re right about some wanting 30k also.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat