Keep 4th gen or trade for a 2nd or 3rd gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stokersmint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trade in my 4th gen cummins for a 2nd or 3rd gen? I need a new front end on my 4th gen and I’m debating on whether it’s worth putting the money into the 4th gen. I currently have 222k miles and I’ve found quite a few 2nd and 3rd gens with lower miles than that.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
Stokersmint

Stokersmint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The bottom line is that I’m strapped for cash. Can’t afford to trade up and I still owe money on the vehicle. Trading down would theoretically allow me to get something nice with lower miles and not go into bankruptcy doing it. I haven’t owned a 2nd or 3rd gen so I can’t speak on their maintenance like I can the 4th gen. My 4th gen is super clean with a hefty maintenance record and everything done on time. The reason I have a cummins in the first place is because I drive 30-40 thousand (mostly highway) miles a year and tow a camper and bass boat around all over the Midwest. Someone could say to get a gasser, but that feels like sacrilege

OP
OP
Stokersmint

Stokersmint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I understand money is required in the diesel game, but does any gen have lower costs over a 4th gen? My truck is T&D btw

OP
OP
Stokersmint

Stokersmint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can see how stupid this sounds after stating that I have a boat and camper the camper us in the process of being sold once prices go up in the spring

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
2nd gens and 3rd gens for that matter have greater issues with front end work frequency. Especially 2nd gen. Save up and fix what you got. It's arguably the best generation Cummins /RAM ever offered for reliability, dependability, & comfort.
I dont see myself ever getting rid of my 4th gen., nevermind for a Gen2 or 3. And unless they change somethings Cummins wise, I'm staying clear of 2022+.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Clarify “new front end”. Steering parts, ball joints?

Front 4x4 drive axle?

In used diesel trucks, the devil you don’t know is probably worse than one you’ve taken care of.

Not what you asked, but making payments on a vehicle with that kind of mileage? Maybe time to reassess some priorities?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can see how stupid this sounds after stating that I have a boat and camper the camper us in the process of being sold once prices go up in the spring
If you’re not going to NEED a diesel to tow, don’t get one.

Never going to be the most cost effective way to tow a bass boat.

OP
OP
Stokersmint

Stokersmint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Clarify “new front end”. Steering parts, ball joints?

Front 4x4 drive axle?

In used diesel trucks, the devil you don’t know is probably worse than one you’ve taken care of.

Not what you asked, but making payments on a vehicle with that kind of mileage? Maybe time to reassess some priorities?
Haha yes very true about priorities. I’ve meticulously kept care of the truck though when it comes down to fluids and filters. When I say front end, I mean wheel bearings, front drive axle, ball joints, stabilizer bar, drag links, pitman arm, and steering gear box. The whole gambit.

Not that anybody asked and that it makes a difference, but I started school back up after years of working and the decrease in salary is hard to adjust too. Should have planned better. Good learning experience I guess. Probably a few less trips to Bass Pro as well

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Also now that you listed every front end part, I'd also get another shops opinion on what parts you NEED. Alot of shops just automatically throw everything on the list.

OP
OP
Stokersmint

Stokersmint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also now that you listed every front end part, I'd also get another shops opinion on what parts you NEED. Alot of shops just automatically throw everything on the list.
Yes this is a very good point. My most trusted diesel shop that I’ve went to for anything over oil changes just suggested the steering gear box and ball joints should be replaced. I did the ball joints already and according to them would only need the steering gear box. It wasn’t until I went to a tire shop for rotation and alignment did they tell me they can’t even do an alignment due to worn front end parts that I mentioned above. When I mentioned I already did my ball joints, the tech was surprised, but maybe they’re just trying to see if I go for it. Tbh steering is my weak point and I don’t know too much about it. Maybe the real answer is changing the steering gear box (which I can afford) and seeing what that does. I’ve just heard time and time again that ram steering should just be exchanged all together that way there’s no question about what’s wrong with it.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Alignment shops don't make money on a $60 Alignment. They make their money on the upsell of parts. Sometimes all of them and whether it needs it or not. Isn't it a little suspicious that you mechanic didn't tell you it needs everything but they did?
I'd get another opinion.

OP
OP
Stokersmint

Stokersmint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alignment shops don't make money on a $60 Alignment. They make their money on the upsell of parts. Sometimes all of them and whether it needs it or not. Isn't it a little suspicious that you mechanic didn't tell you it needs everything but they did?
I'd get another opinion.
Yeah as long as I can get something figured out before the snow and ice hits I’ll be good. Just don’t want to kill myself or someone else on I-75 due to steering problems. In which I will agree IT DOES HAVE STEERING PROBLEMS haha

OP
OP
Stokersmint

Stokersmint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you’re not going to NEED a diesel to tow, don’t get one.

Never going to be the most cost effective way to tow a bass boat.
I would 100% agree with you other than the fact that I owned a 6.0 vortec and a 5.7 hemi prior to this truck and I don’t know if I could go back to a gas truck. I get better mileage on my daily 1.5hr highway commute and I don’t know if my maintenance costs were much lower considering they were 3/4 ton trucks as well. Maybe this is less of a fuel problem and maybe more so a size of truck problem. Then again though, due to the nature of my job, having a truck is important and especially one that can tow if I hook up to the 10k flatbed

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do your own front end work and you’ll be golden.

Properly diagnose and replace only what’s needed. DO NOT fire the parts cannon.

There’s knowledgeable people here, and plenty of YouTube videos showing everything.

An alignment shop can’t afford to do it piecemeal, for them it makes no sense to go deep into a front end and then reinstall old parts. Too much chance of a comeback on their dime. Not to mention the lost profit from up selling.

You, on the other hand, can easily afford to do it one piece at a time.

You can also do some research and watch some videos on how to align front ends with nothing more than an electronic level and a jig you can make yourself. There are toolkits sold for this, but they’re not even needed. I align my stuff using a digital level from Home Depot.

A 4x4 solid axle front end is the least complicated design there is to line up.

OP
OP
Stokersmint

Stokersmint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do your own front end work and you’ll be golden.

Properly diagnose and replace only what’s needed. DO NOT fire the parts cannon.

There’s knowledgeable people here, and plenty of YouTube videos showing everything.

An alignment shop can’t afford to do it piecemeal, for them it makes no sense to go deep into a front end and then reinstall old parts. Too much chance of a comeback on their dime. Not to mention the lost profit from up selling.

You, on the other hand, can easily afford to do it one piece at a time.

You can also do some research and watch some videos on how to align front ends with nothing more than an electronic level and a jig you can make yourself. There are toolkits sold for this, but they’re not even needed. I align my stuff using a digital level from Home Depot.

A 4x4 solid axle front end is the least complicated design there is to line up.
Hey I appreciate the feedback. I guess the only way to learn about steering components is to attempt it yourself which I’m more than capable. I’ll see what I can do.

Thanks again

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
I just replaced my upper and lower control arms w/balljoints,sway bar links,bushings and coil springs.All parts K moog and mevotech supreme.Parts were $525.00.Install was not bad for my first time ever doing it.And I did mine by myself in the street,no garage or even a driveway to work in.Mine is 2wd w/ 91 k. I assume for 4x4 might be a bit more.They even sell ft. end rebuild kits that may come with everything you might need to replace what you need to.I always shop around but I always end up ordering from rock auto.Good luck.

OP
OP
Stokersmint

Stokersmint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just replaced my upper and lower control arms w/balljoints,sway bar links,bushings and coil springs.All parts K moog and mevotech supreme.Parts were $525.00.Install was not bad for my first time ever doing it.And I did mine by myself in the street,no garage or even a driveway to work in.Mine is 2wd w/ 91 k. I assume for 4x4 might be a bit more.They even sell ft. end rebuild kits that may come with everything you might need to replace what you need to.I always shop around but I always end up ordering from rock auto.Good luck.
Hey thanks. That will probably be the route I take as well. I can’t even say I don’t have a shop to work in because I would be lying. I have a shop with a lift at my disposal so I don’t have any excuses

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357