3.21 gear ratio - anyone actually towing with it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Jimmy1439 - I have a similar trailer and agree. With all you said. To include the 2500 after I retire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

911ems

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info. We’re pulling the same numbers with our TT and so far it’s done well. Next summer we’re planning a much longer road trip to Wyoming. Any experience in bigger mountains?

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
I know this thread has been around a while, but I wanted to add a positive experience.

Details: Truck: 2016 Big Horn 5.7 2wd w/3.21 gear, 8 speed XMSN. Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza tires. EAZ-Lift weight distribution hitch w/bar style sway bar. Camper: Flagstaff 27 RLWS, 6300 dry, 620 tongue, 32 feet long hitch ball to back bumper.

1800 mile trip from West TN to Chesapeake City, M.D. and back over Thanksgiving week.

I carefully set up the hitch based on instructions, videos, forums, etc. We also made sure not to overpack because I know how easily you can load up a camper. Hitch weight doesn't include 2 propane tanks and battery, so tongue weight is no issue. It actually was slightly smoother with water in the tank.

First day was 20-30 mph winds. Was able to do 60-63 mph comfortably. Slowed a little when trucks passed. The rest of the trip was 65-70 mph, occasionally topping 72. I honestly had no issues at all with the tow. Some sway was present, as expected, but nothing scary at all. I topped a hill once on the first day with a truck next to me and the anti sway kicked in unexpectedly, but no biggie. On the rest of the trip, speed was based on highway conditions. I-81and I-495 have some truck rutting that slowed us a bit.

The XMSN did great. I put it in Tow/Hawl and never messed with it. Smooth as glass. Temperature was pretty consistent around 195. Saw 203 in the mountains around Knoxville.

In case anyone is curious, we averaged 9.5 mpg.

I'll answer the obvious question before it's asked. I spend a lot of time on the road, so I wanted the Ram ride and the 3.21 mileage. We don't tow often. My best advice is to just be patient. You're not gonna anywhere fast with a camper. I'll get the recommended 2500 when I retire.

I'm a fan of the truck with the 3.21.
Jim

Thats impressive, especially given the dimensions of that TT alone. Your truck handles that well from what you say.

I like Flagstaffs units, really nice in both TT and 5er.

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info. We’re pulling the same numbers with our TT and so far it’s done well. Next summer we’re planning a much longer road trip to Wyoming. Any experience in bigger mountains?

Just make sure to heed the wind warnings here in Wyoming and be safe.

Jimmy1439

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
911ems- I can't vouch for bigger mountains. Until this trip, we had only towed here in West TN. Specifically, TN River and Jackson areas. It's pretty flat around here.

As Jarhead57 said, heed the wind warnings and be patient. I think my best choice was to go easy and not be in a hurry.

Chigurh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Gas stations can be few and far between, wind warnings and I would check my brake pads, try to make sure all of the trailer towing aids in the pickup are working properly. Depending on where you're going, the roads can be narrow and crowded with other RVs, I saw a lot of this in Yellowstone and Glacier NPs.
Pulling over on a pulloff can help let others pass so you decrease the likelihood of an accident when some idiot tries to pass you on a blind corner because he's in a rush.

911ems

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great info, and much appreciated! I do wish the truck had the larger fuel tank, I know we’ll be filling up before and after mountain passes. Can’t wait to get the family out there! Safe travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spiffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a 2015 Quad Cab Ram with the Hemi and a 6 speed trans, 3.21 rear end. I am planning on towing an enclosed trailer with a '36 Ford street rod from Florida to Niagara Falls in the Spring. Spending the summer there. I was disappointed to find I had the 3.21 gears and am thinking of getting a complete low mileage rear end (found there are some available) with the 3.92 gears. Question, what about the speedometer? Are there different speed sensors for the different gear ratios or do the ABS wheel speed sensors take care of this?? I know nothing about these fancy new vehicles. LOL:)

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2015 Quad Cab Ram with the Hemi and a 6 speed trans, 3.21 rear end. I am planning on towing an enclosed trailer with a '36 Ford street rod from Florida to Niagara Falls in the Spring. Spending the summer there. I was disappointed to find I had the 3.21 gears and am thinking of getting a complete low mileage rear end (found there are some available) with the 3.92 gears. Question, what about the speedometer? Are there different speed sensors for the different gear ratios or do the ABS wheel speed sensors take care of this?? I know nothing about these fancy new vehicles. LOL:)
You can swap it without worrying about the speedometer. That goes off of wheel speed.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We just went from a 19' to a 24' Riverside Retro. Increase in weight 750 lbs-- DRY weight of 3750, which means around 4,000 with propane and some water. I towed it back from the dealer unladen, other than the propane, and had headwinds. 6th and 7th mostly, rarely saw 8th gear. Happy with the 3.92's although I imagine if I had the 3.21's I simply might have been a cog lower. EVIC said I got 10.3.......but then I was making quick time to travel the 459 miles, 65-72. Normally I like to stay 65 or below. Don't know how some tow 7-8K easily with 3.21's.

hitekrdnk51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2016 Ram 1500 qc with 3.21 gears. I have Falken load E tires, Tufftruk rear springs, and a Helwig rear sway bar. Earlier in this fall we towed our Keystone Bullet 248rks from Pennsylvania to Indiana and back. Dry weight is 5040# plus propane tanks and whatever else my wife put in it. We were probably closer to 6000#. Towed very well using an Equalizer WDH. Averaged 10.5 MPG at 60mph. I have also towed my Jeep Wrangler JK a few times on the open hauler to take to an off-road park near Harrisburg PA and averaged 12mpg. That's through the mountains of Pennsylvania and it towed fine at 6600#. 2200# for the trailer and 4400# for the Jeep. Really can't complain about the 1500's with 3.21 gears. Only week spots seem to be the standard load tires and soft springs and they're easy to upgrade.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jlh hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
I pull a 6300lb horse trailer with mine and I have the 3.21 gears. I'm coming from owning a cummins to this truck. I also have owned a hemi with 3.92. In my opinion the 8spd with 3.21 tows so well that it's not worth the fuel mileage loss I saw with the 3.92. I'm not one of those guys that tows like 3 times a year. I have a trailer hooked on my truck about every other weekend towing our horses around Texas, so the fuel savings of the 3.21 make me happy. Just my opinion.

Evan Iles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
After reading this I guess I will never be pulling a TT. Lol. Pentastar v6 here with 3:21. Ugghh. Guess nothing bigger than two jetskis here. Or maybe a pop up camper ? [emoji23][emoji23]

Is there really THAT big of a difference between the 3.21 V6 and the 3.55 V6 to give a 3,000# tow rating difference? I feel like you could tow more than a few jetskies with the V6 3.21 and not have a problem.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Is there really THAT big of a difference between the 3.21 V6 and the 3.55 V6 to give a 3,000# tow rating difference? I feel like you could tow more than a few jetskies with the V6 3.21 and not have a problem.

They do the same thing on the HD trucks. My truck with 4.10’s is rated at 16k vs 13k if it had 3.73s… even with everything else exactly the same. Don’t worry too much about it.

Evan Iles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
They do the same thing on the HD trucks. My truck with 4.10’s is rated at 16k vs 13k if it had 3.73s… even with everything else exactly the same. Don’t worry too much about it.

I'm not saying someone (like myself) who has a V6 with 3.21 should go out and haul 7,000# but it should be able to handle 5,000-5,500# without needing to worry too much, imho.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Around 5,000 should really be no issue for that truck. Though I haven't owned one so I can't really give you the best info.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sounds like the concern is excessive tranny wear. The 3.21 puts more stress on the trans than 3.55 or 3.92's

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Sounds like the concern is excessive tranny wear. The 3.21 puts more stress on the trans than 3.55 or 3.92's

Thats somewhat true, but the fact you have some many gear choices that you can just down shift and keep from lugging the transmission and building to much heat or burning up the torque converter.

I pull my 28' camper in 6th gear and it does great and does not lug or rev to high.
This 8sp is the bee's knees. ;)

Redfour5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2016 Ram 1500 qc with 3.21 gears. I have Falken load E tires, Tufftruk rear springs, and a Helwig rear sway bar. Earlier in this fall we towed our Keystone Bullet 248rks from Pennsylvania to Indiana and back. Dry weight is 5040# plus propane tanks and whatever else my wife put in it. We were probably closer to 6000#. Towed very well using an Equalizer WDH. Averaged 10.5 MPG at 60mph. I have also towed my Jeep Wrangler JK a few times on the open hauler to take to an off-road park near Harrisburg PA and averaged 12mpg. That's through the mountains of Pennsylvania and it towed fine at 6600#. 2200# for the trailer and 4400# for the Jeep. Really can't complain about the 1500's with 3.21 gears. Only week spots seem to be the standard load tires and soft springs and they're easy to upgrade.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

After watching this, I decided to..."accept"...the 3.21 in my new Ram 1500. It appears to be no problem... We will see. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWf8L2g9Z4I