3.6 or 5.7 Hemi??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

z Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am looking to purchase a new 1500 Ram Crew Cab. I can't decide on which engine. I am looking for the Pros and Cons of going with the 3.6 V6 8 Speed (3.55 axle ratio) or getting the 5.7 Hemi. I would appreciate hearing opinions.

I drive quite a bit 20,000 - 25,000 miles per year, so mpg is certainly important. The majority of this will be basic transportation miles. I do tow an 18' boat several times per year including a few 300 mile (each way) trips. Even fully loaded the boat is less than 4000 lbs.

When I look on the lots I see 80% of the 1500s are equipped with the Hemi. The Hemi is a $3000 up charge. Is that upcharge to a Hemi really needed? If I go to the Hemi it will cost me extra and drop my mpg a couple per gallon, correct?

I drove a 300C with the Hemi for 6 years. I thought it was overkill. Gas mileage sucked; I felt like I was "nickled and dimed" to death every oil change and repaired seemed like it cost extra because of the Hemi.

Please give me your 2 cents worth on what engine I should go with. Thanks!

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
Seems like the v6 will serve you just fine. However, for me, and I don't tow ****, Hemi is still the only option. You don't buy a truck for MPG. That v6 will still have to work to move that truck. You probably will barely notice a difference. I have owned full size trucks with the v6, small v8 and large v8 (both v8 a small block). Either way, i was was still glued to the gas pump. You can also go Hemi with the 3.21 gearing. That might be a good option to stew over.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As much as these trucks weigh, I don't think the V6 will be much of a MPG saver in real life. I know they claim better MPG's, but it would have to work quite a bit to get that truck moving. I've seen posts of guys weighing their trucks, and they are upwards of 5600 lbs. That's a lot of beef for a V6 to get moving. If you will be on the highway, then a V6 probably wouldn't be a bad idea... once your rolling, I'm sure it will cruise along no problem. It's the start/stop around town that will make the V6 work.

I'm averaging anywhere from 17-19 MPG's in my Hemi Crew Cab 4x4... and, I have the 3.92 gears. If you go with a the Hemi and get the 3.21 gears, or if you can find one with the 3.55 gears (hard to find, but still out there), you'll get better mileage out of it. To me, it was worth it, and actually, wasn't even a consideration.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Get the Hemi. you will be glad you did. it should hold the residual value better come sell or trade in time. and if you are towing, you will want it. I went from a 4.7V6 Chevy 1500 extend cab to a 4.7 V8 tundra Crew Cab and there was a world of difference in yanking around a 16 for bass boat. The Hemi is a wonderful engine.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You had a Hemi already and were not happy. Save the $$ on the Hemi option and get the V6, you will be very happy. It tows all your needs, and has plenty power for daily driving, especially all the miles you will drive. And the gas milage is way better than the Hemi. I have the Hemi, I love it, but quite honestly it is in eco mode (half cylinders) a lot when I drive. It also sucks gas. I know this and am accepting of it. My buddy has the V6, he is in love with it. Has all the power he will ever need and gets way better gas milage than mine.
Get the V6, you had the V8, so on your next vehicle if it's between the two again you will know which you like more, pros/cons of both.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 black Crew Cab Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is a video of a 3.6 towing a boat. When watching the video right around the 5:00-5:20 minute mark you can see how high the temperature gauge goes. Hopefully this helps you in making a decision. I do like my hemi, I drove both the v6 and the hemi and decided on the hemi. Here is the link to the video on youtube.

2013 Ram 1500 V6 Pentastar 0-60 MPH Towing Test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h6OYXemTxE

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Galion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For what you described as your usual usage, the V6 will be fine. However be aware that when you do decide to sell or trade it later on, you'll get about the same amount if you melted it down for scrap (at least around here).

BULL55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI 8 SPEED 4X4 3.21 GEAR
Hemi my friend! I have the 5.7 with the 8 speed and 3.21 gearing in the rear. Lots of power and getting 21 to 22.0 mpg on the road.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hemi for me ! I have 355 gr 6 speed xsmn . I drive 20+ K per year and I pull an 18' boat 15+ times a year I avg 19 mpg all around but very little city stop and go , on the hwy on a 1600 mile round trips I avg 22 mpg , I almost never drive agresive but it's nice to know I can when I need to , with or without the boat ... my .02c

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
To me man it sounds like the v6 is your motor but you cant beat the fun factor of a hemi. Unless a vehicle is strictly a to b for you id strongly suggest a hemi. If you just see it as a tool and money pit then get the v6 as it will be plenty of truck for your needs.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
One is cheaper to feed and one is more fun, and you opt for the one cheaper to feed? Is that how your pick your women as well?

the-perfect-pickup-truck-accessory.jpg

1-skinny-girl_25105818.jpg
Lolololololololol!!! I clearly did not i bought a 6.4 to haul ass not haul loads.[emoji13]

jwndriver14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you considered the v6 ecodiesel? Great fuel economy on those! Otherwise go with the Hemi you'll be glad you did! Especially once you want to sell it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Or, you could buy a really nice used Hemi and take the money you saved and buy an old Carolla. I had a Carolla for several years, back when I drove a Dakota that got about the same gas mileage as the Ram. It was a decent little car. Almost Maintainence free. You can go anywhere and not give gas a thought, because it got over 30 all the time.

But I'm not broke any more. I can drive what I want. But what ever I got, would have an 8 speed with positrac 3.92s. The engine? Not as important to me as the tranny and differentials.

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After driving my buddy's V6 Ram I can say that if I wasn't looking to tow a travel trailer in the future I would have one. I like my hemi and I like the sound, but the V6 sounds like it would give you everything you would need a long with the MPG. Truth be told, the V6 is very adequate for the Ram.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Truth be told, the V6 is very adequate for the Ram.

Strive to be adequate, I love it. If we all reuse our dental floss we can save the planet for the next guy. Just playing, the V6 made engine of the year list and in comparison to years past carry as much HP as older v8's. At 305 pony's it has more HP then the old magnum and power tech v8's, and a lot more horses then my old silverado that I thought was pretty powerful for my needs. Soon there will be a Ram PHEV, this program allowed Hemi's to get over 30mpg by alot, I think it was even 37mpg, don't quote me though. Not theory, they actually got this type pf mileage. I think the gov't where driving them. The pilot program had some problems, mainly almost 3% had fires, but I have to think the future is much brighter on the gas mileage end if that is what you are most concerned about. They had special tranny's and a battery pack, I think the problem is like everyone else's- the battery pack.

In reality the v6 is a good choice, but I'd still rock the hemi.

Last edited:

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Even with the 3.21 gears, my V6 gets up and goes quite well.

My only gripe (downshifting out of 8th at freeway speeds up very mild grades) is minor and more an indication of how silly tall the 3.21 gearing is.

But since I averaged 28MPG indicated (more like 26.5 when I figured by hand) to Vegas and back (being a good boy and sticking to the speed limit), I'll take it. :D

My buddy's V6 (with the 3.55 gears I wish I had) moves out even better, and his lower fuel economy is probably due to a heavier right foot.

(NOTE: This post has entirely too many parentheses.)