3.6 or 5.7 Hemi??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does anyone make a Tuner and a Cold Air Intake for the six yet? I did those 2 things to the Mustang. In that vehicle, the difference is just short of amazing. Sounds great to boot. If you drive the speed limit, my car is capable of over 30.

I like how the guys here with the Hemi s, don't run down the V6, or the guys that choose to buy them. I have the Ford 3.7, a Pentastar, and a 5.7 Hemi. They're all great engines.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
For tuner, the answer is yes.

DiabloSport Trinity T-1000 Programmer
DiabloSport inTune I-1000 DCX (page title says "for HEMI" but once you choose a vehicle, 3.6L V6 is an option)

There may be others as well, but I haven't found them yet.

As for intakes, I found a couple:
K&N 77 Series Cold Air Metal Intake Kits
Airaid Intake Systems (the "Classic without intake tube")

Ditto: may be others, but I haven't found them.

Just using AutoAnything links to be consistent; everything here is available elsewhere too.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Disclaimer: My truck is a V6

After owning two Hemi-equipped vehicles (not trucks) I consciously chose the V6. Gas mileage with the Hemi is atrocious when you drive it normally (not being a moving traffic barrier), plus with 3k upcharge you lose the 8 speed transmission unless you shell out more money on top of it.

I've only towed small-ish trailers <4000 pounds and it had no problem, but the engine does rev higher when towing as soon as there is an incline.

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Strive to be adequate, I love it. If we all reuse our dental floss we can save the planet for the next guy. Just playing, the V6 made engine of the year list and in comparison to years past carry as much HP as older v8's. At 305 pony's it has more HP then the old magnum and power tech v8's, and a lot more horses then my old silverado that I thought was pretty powerful for my needs. Soon there will be a Ram PHEV, this program allowed Hemi's to get over 30mpg by alot, I think it was even 37mpg, don't quote me though. Not theory, they actually got this type pf mileage. I think the gov't where driving them. The pilot program had some problems, mainly almost 3% had fires, but I have to think the future is much brighter on the gas mileage end if that is what you are most concerned about. They had special tranny's and a battery pack, I think the problem is like everyone else's- the battery pack.

In reality the v6 is a good choice, but I'd still rock the hemi.

Lol! Like I was alluding to it all depends on what you use it for. My buddy tows a 6x8 utility trailer and ATV occasionally so for him its great. Me on the other hand I have a boat, plan on getting a travel trailer in the future, and my Ram is lifted with heavier wheels and tires. Getting it for MPG with my uses wouldn't benefit me. Overall its a very surprising engine/trans and it all comes down to what you would use it for. :favorites13:

2015er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar and proud
I am looking to purchase a new 1500 Ram Crew Cab. I can't decide on which engine. I am looking for the Pros and Cons of going with the 3.6 V6 8 Speed (3.55 axle ratio) or getting the 5.7 Hemi. I would appreciate hearing opinions.

I drive quite a bit 20,000 - 25,000 miles per year, so mpg is certainly important. The majority of this will be basic transportation miles. I do tow an 18' boat several times per year including a few 300 mile (each way) trips. Even fully loaded the boat is less than 4000 lbs.

When I look on the lots I see 80% of the 1500s are equipped with the Hemi. The Hemi is a $3000 up charge. Is that upcharge to a Hemi really needed? If I go to the Hemi it will cost me extra and drop my mpg a couple per gallon, correct?

I drove a 300C with the Hemi for 6 years. I thought it was overkill. Gas mileage sucked; I felt like I was "nickled and dimed" to death every oil change and repaired seemed like it cost extra because of the Hemi.

Please give me your 2 cents worth on what engine I should go with. Thanks!

I just took delivery one month ago on my new Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 4x4 fully loaded with Ramboxes, air suspension, sunroof, and navigation and with a pentastar V6 and 3.55 gears. I ordered this truck in December after a long time researching the truck market for 2015 - quite frankly it came to a close choice between this truck and 2015 Ford Lariat but in the end I chose the Ram.

I'll say it this simply - THIS IS THE BEST TRUCK CONFIGURATION ON THE MARKET TODAY _ BAR NONE!!!

This pentastar motor is THE best kept secret in the industry! It accelrates great, smooth shifting with the 8 speed transmission and plently of power even in snow with the four wheel drive engaged. The gas mileage is great - I am averaging 18-19 combined city and highway - mostly stop-and-go. I am so pleased with this truck and with all the equipment I got - do you want to know what the best aspect is? The motor!!!! The pentastar is great!

Last edited:

2015er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar and proud
Here is a picture of my truck on the dealer lot and fresh off the delivery truck.... And you'll notice the sport hood on this Laramie - just a little story - I didn't order this hood, I didn't get charged for it ($2,000 option my dealer told me) - it just appeared and I love it! I love the look and it makes my truck that much more unique

Attachments

• Truck 2 corrected.jpg
    Truck 2 corrected.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 116

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thats a nice truck 2015er! I have to ask though, did you test drive a hemi or an ecodiesel and if so, what made you choose the 6cyl gasser?

2015er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar and proud
Thats a nice truck 2015er! I have to ask though, did you test drive a hemi or an ecodiesel and if so, what made you choose the 6cyl gasser?

I did test drive both the diesel and the Hemi in addition to the 3.6 and certainly the Hemi was quicker and if gas mileage and associated cost were not a concern that would have been tempting but as I said the 3.6 actually has a better payload and I do haul stuff but rarely tow. The 3.6 was a lower cost to buy which freed up $ for other options I wanted - air suspension for example. Which by the way is great!

The diesel was actually slower in acceleration but obviously had the best mileage but it is a $4,000 upcharge over the 3.6 plus more hassle and expense for DEF plus more expense for oil changes plus more expense per gallon. I have read some very thorough accounts of the diesel payback but for me the less hassle and lower immediate cost pointed me towards the v6. The when I drove the V6 it was over. The performance of this motor is so impressive - it honestly feels like a v8! I couldn't pass it up!

htwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
With those specs and driving 24K miles a year the V6 would be a no-brainer choice. I often purchase used to save a bit up front, and the new 3.6/8speed is out of my price range as I purchase vehicles for what they can do. So, a low mileage 2011 quad cab Hemi for under $20K was a steal (Ontario Canada pricing). Still, I have a 2012 200 with the 3.6L and it's no slouch.

I find that the HEMI in my 2011 acts like a smaller engine below 2500rpm, when the HEMI comes alive. Now, for the 3.6L, I can't speak for the V6 Ram, but the sedan which weighs about 1800lbs less, moves along sprightly and I find the 3.6 has a lot more oomph between 1000-2000rpm. In the sedan, I can climb a 7% grade at 55mph (1500rpm) without downshifting. The 8 speed of course offers a lower first gear, so towing shouldn't be a problem. I can get 31mpg with the 3.6L in the 200 - right on with EPA guidelines if not beating it slightly. My Ram HEMI I average 11-15mpg (100% city-50/50% driving). You should get 20mpg highway easily with the 3.6 and 3.55 gears.

Tf78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
2015er

I'm in the same situation. Confused whether to choose 3.6 v6 or 5.7 hemi. Can you shine some light on your on this with your experace so far with the 3.6 v6? I drive 80 miles a day so mpg matters. I have a 2006 chevy trailblazer now. I just don't think the hemi would get less than what im getting now with my trailblazer since the rams are 8speed transmissions. I tow from time to time a 6 1/2 x 10 utility trailer and a 24ft pontoon. I don't tow them enough that i would need a hemi. So any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
2015er

I'm in the same situation. Confused whether to choose 3.6 v6 or 5.7 hemi. Can you shine some light on your on this with your experace so far with the 3.6 v6? I drive 80 miles a day so mpg matters. I have a 2006 chevy trailblazer now. I just don't think the hemi would get less than what im getting now with my trailblazer since the rams are 8speed transmissions. I tow from time to time a 6 1/2 x 10 utility trailer and a 24ft pontoon. I don't tow them enough that i would need a hemi. So any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
I drive 80 miles a day too have the hemi and get almost 20 mpg my buddy has the 3.6 and gets close to the same and now wishes he had got the HEMI.

Get the HEMI your manhood will thank you for it.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Hemi all day.

The new transmissions not only help with MPG but the overall driving experience is so smooth. Get a truck with 3.21's and take it easy on the pedal and it will do fine. The V6 is a solid power plant but the Hemi is effortless. Hemi will help you a lot with resale value as well.

It will be easier to maintain than your older Gen 3.

All I do to my 392(s) are change the oil. $70-$80 bucks if I do it myself. $90 at the dealer for PUP. Should be less for the 5.7. Plugs aren’t due until 100k on the new Hemis. Other than that you are talking about items that will have to be maintained whether you have the 6 or 8.

BriamH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I commute 40 miles per day and have the Pentastar. Pretty mixed driving both highway and city. Now with winter gas I'm getting 18.5 mpg, in the summer I get a little better than 19.5. You'll hear all kinds of estimates with the 5.7. Read them all and decide what suits you best.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Everyone has their own reasons for what they want or need, that's why there are different options. Get whatever makes you feel better and helps you sleep at night. I have the 5.7 and would get a 6.7 in a 1500 if I could. Trucks are cool, faster trucks are cooler. I doubt I will regret the extra fuel I used when I reminisce about this truck in 20 years. I guarantee I will recall how, for a truck, it hauled ass.:)

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I ever buy another truck, it will be with the biggest engine, with the shortest gears available. The difference in mpg between a V6 with 3.55s and a 5.7 with 3.92s is pretty small. I'm a tightwad, but there are other places to save money.

Tf78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
I drove a 2016 3.6 v6 pentastar last week and a 2015 5.7 hemi yesterday. Checking more out today. Tuff dessions. Ugh! They both seemed fine the hemi seemed to start off better tho. There are times I sit in traffic for a longtime. Guess the longevity of the two motors the hemi would be a better option.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hemi,8 speed and 3:21 gears.
The mileage difference between this and the same set-up with a V6 is next to nothing.Towing the Hemi more than likely gets better mileage.

After I bought mine I drove a V6 Rebel and boy was I glad I got the Hemi.
Buddy at work went from a 14 V6 to a 16 Hemi and he says he's far happier with the Hemi.BOth were CC 4X4 8 speed and 3:21's.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Guys, in terms of longevity and less issues, would v6 be a better option since it doesn't have the issue with the manifold bolts and lifters/cam? Thoughts ?