3.6L Intake Resonator Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I was unsatisfied with the fitment of my K&N CAI (too many air gaps to the engine bay. I liked the way it made the truck sound, but was worried about hot air and or water being sucked into my intake.

So after taking off my K&N CAI, I set to re-purposing the the intake tube to delete the stock resonator on the truck, and still retain the benefit of smooth airflow. When I set to this today (I'm glad I did) I found water pooled on the intake after these torrential downpours we have had. Now the stock air box is connected directly to the throttle-body using the K&N intake tube. I finished it up by wrapping the tube in black exhaust wrap.

IMAG0044.jpg

IMAG0045.jpg

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you found much improvement in performance and economy?

edemce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was unsatisfied with the fitment of my K&N CAI (too many air gaps to the engine bay. I liked the way it made the truck sound, but was worried about hot air and or water being sucked into my intake.

So after taking off my K&N CAI, I set to re-purposing the the intake tube to delete the stock resonator on the truck, and still retain the benefit of smooth airflow. When I set to this today (I'm glad I did) I found water pooled on the intake after these torrential downpours we have had. Now the stock air box is connected directly to the throttle-body using the K&N intake tube. I finished it up by wrapping the tube in black exhaust wrap.

View attachment 63331

View attachment 63332

What do you mean too many air gaps ? Isnt the pipe designed for your vehicle ?

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
What do you mean too many air gaps ? Isnt the pipe designed for your vehicle ?
The K&N kit includes it's own air box and filter. The fitment of the air box is what I found lacking.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Have you found much improvement in performance and economy?
Nope, this is for sound alone so far. It's really me trying to salvage some of the money I spent by using the parts of the kit that aren't sub par...

edemce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The K&N kit includes it's own air box and filter. The fitment of the air box is what I found lacking.

Well sorry to hear that , in the pictures it looks like you are using your stock box and just the K&N mid pipe.

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I am, that is the modification I did because didn't care for the K&N air box gaps.

RamGator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you post the measurements of the kn pipe and angles? Airaid makes a pipe set that can be customized. since there are no tubes for the v6 to get rid of the cluster mess that is the intake.

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Can you post the measurements of the kn pipe and angles? Airaid makes a pipe set that can be customized. since there are no tubes for the v6 to get rid of the cluster mess that is the intake.
I really have no idea how to measure and accurately provide the data for folks to replicate. Sorry...

I suppose I could learn?

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just got off the phone with K&N. You can purchase the pipe for the kit for $151.99. Then you will just need the couplers and clamps. If I were to go this route, I would buy some longer couplers for the fudge factor. It's a tight fit using this tube, but it does fit nicely.

I also need to correct an earlier reply. Their is some improved performance in throttle response and the engine/exhaust sounds way better. As far as MPGs is concerned, I can't really comment objectively as I also went back to the factory air filter at the same time.

There was more dust on the inside of the tube then I would have liked when the conical K&N filter was used from the kit. Hopefully the MOPAR paper filter rectifies this (I'm sure it will).

edemce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got off the phone with K&N. You can purchase the pipe for the kit for $151.99. Then you will just need the couplers and clamps. If I were to go this route, I would buy some longer couplers for the fudge factor. It's a tight fit using this tube, but it does fit nicely.

I also need to correct an earlier reply. Their is some improved performance in throttle response and the engine/exhaust sounds way better. As far as MPGs is concerned, I can't really comment objectively as I also went back to the factory air filter at the same time.

There was more dust on the inside of the tube then I would have liked when the conical K&N filter was used from the kit. Hopefully the MOPAR paper filter rectifies this (I'm sure it will).

I wonder if you can do a ceramic coating on the K&N pipe to keep heat away and off of it , just like in applications on headers and other automotive parts.

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I wonder if you can do a ceramic coating on the K&N pipe to keep heat away and off of it , just like in applications on headers and other automotive parts.
It's aluminum so it soaks up and dissipates heat rather quickly already. It was cool to the touch after a 30 minute drive in 40 degree weather (without the wrap). The wrap was more for tinkering then necessity for me.

I would imagine if you properly prepped the surface and removed the powder coating already on it, it would take a ceramic coating.