32 gallon fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Virtually any motor cycle "Harley specifically " has a reserve of around 1 gallon. And have around 5 gallon total capacity , depending on model.

Most big trucks , with 75 gallon tanks the light will come on at or around 15 - 20 gallons left.

My 2002 , 2500 , 4x4 dodge with 32 gallon tank, light would come on with 6 gallons left.

My wife's cts-v , 18 gallon tank. Light comes on with 3-4 gallons left.

I understand what a reserve or reserve tank is. I have owned motorcycles with a reserve valve.

The word reserve is also used as the amount of remaining fuel once the low level light (Reserve Light/Low Fuel Light) comes on. Once reserve tanks were removed from majority of vehicles, the term still has been used.

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I understand what a reserve or reserve tank is. I have owned motorcycles with a reserve valve.

The word reserve is also used as the amount of remaining fuel once the low level light (Reserve Light/Low Fuel Light) comes on. Once reserve tanks were removed from majority of vehicles, the term still has been used.

I guess I dont understand your response. None of the vehicles I mentioned have a reserve tank. Motorcycles have a reserve valve on the petcock, that simply draws fuel from a lower spot on the petcock from the main tank.

You asked for examples of vehicles that have a reserve (I assume you mean after the light comes on since that is what you keep saying) of 20%-25% of the total capacity. I gave you multiple examples.

RAMHON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 5 4X4
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI® MDS VVT Engine
Yes I agree it's pathetic customer service response by RAM but in the grand scheme of things it's a relatively minor issue - overall it's a solid truck. There are lots of little issues to address with the truck but all-in all, it's a far superior to a Chevy or Ford IMO in most respects.

I still think RAM will get it done eventually but as in any huge company there are many layers that it must go through before it hits someone with the authority, skills and desire to fix it.

Last edited:

ChargerX3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pathetic sums it up nicely. No doubt there are levels of red tape that it has to work through as it a large company but it’s been over a decade of us and them knowing all about it. You think there would be at least some progress by now.

What irritates me the most is that Ram has someone purposely active on this site to who gives us projections that never come to fuition. Nothing against her personally. Its her job that she is paid to perform with the info they provide her. It just bugs me that they keep bringing up these projections knowing that it will never come about and consequently dragging us along in the process.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So ya my 2018 truck has a Msrp of 51k and my fuel gauge doesn’t read accurately. The thing that ****** me off the most about this is my remote start gets deactivated when my fuel light comes on and my fuel light comes on when I still have what 10,12,13 gallons of fuel left? ...Bah

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My auto start won't work at just below 1/4 tank.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just filled up yesterday and for the first time I took notice of where my gauge was and how much fuel the truck took. I have the 121 litre gas tank and the gauge was reading just below half. I put 65 litres in before the nozzle clicked off. I wiped off my brow and phew, my gauge is correct in my opinion.

jbrown5030

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just filled up yesterday and for the first time I took notice of where my gauge was and how much fuel the truck took. I have the 121 litre gas tank and the gauge was reading just below half. I put 65 litres in before the nozzle clicked off. I wiped off my brow and phew, my gauge is correct in my opinion.
I've had similar experiences at a half tank, but it seems to get less accurate as you go. I got in my truck yesterday morning, got the low fuel indicator, rangr indicator said 49 miles left. I go to the station a mile from my house, can't get quite 26 gallons into a 32 gallon tank. So I'm to believe the estimate that 6.1 gallons of fuel will take me 49 miles? Maybe if I still had my F150 an 8mpg guesstimate would be reasonable, but I can't get less than 13mpg on this Ram even when I drive it like an Indy car with bags of concrete in the bed...

Well, now that I think about it, maybe I'm happier than I thought.

b-rock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had similar experiences at a half tank, but it seems to get less accurate as you go. I got in my truck yesterday morning, got the low fuel indicator, rangr indicator said 49 miles left. I go to the station a mile from my house, can't get quite 26 gallons into a 32 gallon tank. So I'm to believe the estimate that 6.1 gallons of fuel will take me 49 miles? Maybe if I still had my F150 an 8mpg guesstimate would be reasonable, but I can't get less than 13mpg on this Ram even when I drive it like an Indy car with bags of concrete in the bed...

Well, now that I think about it, maybe I'm happier than I thought.
Exact same experience in regards to low fuel indicator came on last week, I stop to fill up and got 26.3 gallons in, with a 32 gallon tank. I am really hoping that when I take it in for all 3 of my current recalls, this get "fixed" under the auto-park recall.

2017 RAM 1500 CC, LoneStar, Black Pearl

Dynigo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi Sport
I believe that Mopar uses the same fuel pump module/ housing for both tanks. they probably didn't change then float/level sensor

Michael Fendley

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles can you drive after the low fuel indicator comes on? I think my display shows 50 miles when the light first comes on, and I can usually make that or a bit more. When I fill up after the needle is just above the E, I can usually get 30-31 gallons in.

dav8388

Reaction score
Ram Year
In limbo between trucks
Engine
3.6 pentastar
I usually fill my tank up around 1/2 a tank. After seeing this issue I paid attention to how much it takes. It was just above 1/2, and it took 14.5g. It would appear mine is correct. I'm also showing 700 miles til empty every time I fill up.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How many miles can you drive after the low fuel indicator comes on? I think my display shows 50 miles when the light first comes on, and I can usually make that or a bit more. When I fill up after the needle is just above the E, I can usually get 30-31 gallons in.
That all depends how many miles per gallon you are currently averaging. I have a 2500, so 31 gallon tank. I consistently average 10 mpg. When my my fuel light comes on, the fuel range always says 30 miles remaining. If I stop at a gas station right then and there, I can put 22.5 gallons in the tank. If I wait and run out those 30 miles till it says “fuel range- low”, then I can get 25.5 gallons in the tank. At this point, the needle on the gas gauge is pegged all the way below “E”, just like the needle sits when the truck is off. Yet I still have 5.5 gallons of gas in the tank.

werdna1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The update was completed on my 18 before i picked it up and i havent had any issues with it. And yes i can put 30-32 gallons in when i fill from empty

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I believe after I had my recalls it's fixed issue with reading fuel levels. I drive about 25 miles a day, and would fill up about every 6 days I'd have around an 1/8-1/4 tank. I'm now on day 10 of my first fill up after I had the recalls done and am just below a 1/4 of a tank. (2018 2500 6.4L ~ 7500 miles 2" level 35's)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro4dac4f34cc573ed529e84f58ce8b9aee.jpg

Last edited:

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
After filling up last night when my gas Guage read just above empty but still only took about 24 gallons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not that anyone asked me, but I actually like the idea my Reb is telling me to fill up "early!" It's like the folks who set their watches five minutes ahead...result: they're never late!

TXCOMT

dstudboy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was there ever a fix with this? I just bought a 2018 Ram 2500 and filled it twice both times I only had to put 26 gallons in the tank