32 gallon fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Probably because everyone has different driving habits. Some guys like to hit every gas station on the way to their house, or every day, some people put just enough in to get them through the day, and then some would like to have extended intervals, hence the reason for paying for the bigger fuel tank. It’s not too much to ask that it keeps track of the fuel correctly, like has been done for the last 100+ years.

Over the last 5 decades I've had quite a few inaccurate fuel gagues.
That's one of the reasons that I developed the habit of fueling it up when it gets much below 1/2.
I'll still never understand why people run it down to empty, it just makes no sense.

b-rock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Over the last 5 decades I've had quite a few inaccurate fuel gagues.
That's one of the reasons that I developed the habit of fueling it up when it gets much below 1/2.
I'll still never understand why people run it down to empty, it just makes no sense.
I am new to the Ram 1500 club as of February and I noticed my fill ups at 1/4 tank were quite short of the 32 gallon mark.

While I typically do not let my tank get much below a 1/4, there are times on road trips that I like to extend my stretches between stops and if my truck were reading the full level properly I would be able to do that even more.

It's not about running it down to empty before filling it up, it's about truly knowing what you have in the tank so you can make an informed decision.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

deanoldo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am new to the Ram 1500 club as of February and I noticed my fill ups at 1/4 tank were quite short of the 32 gallon mark.

While I typically do not let my tank get much below a 1/4, there are times on road trips that I like to extend my stretches between stops and if my truck were reading the full level properly I would be able to do that even more.

It's not about running it down to empty before filling it up, it's about truly knowing what you have in the tank so you can make an informed decision.

I completely agree, I typically fill up at 1/4 tank as well, and I want to know where I'm accurately at fuel wise. But, on top of that, there is the simple fact that we paid extra for these 32 gallon tanks and for that money we should be able to know how much fuel is in there. Thankfully, it looks like the new fuel sending unit has fixed it for me although I don't understand why... As far as I can tell, there is only one fuel sending unit for both the 26 and 32 gallon tanks, so unless they can manually calibrate it for either tank, you would think it wouldn't fix anything. I certainly don't pretend to know how this stuff works though...

b-rock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I completely agree, I typically fill up at 1/4 tank as well, and I want to know where I'm accurately at fuel wise. But, on top of that, there is the simple fact that we paid extra for these 32 gallon tanks and for that money we should be able to know how much fuel is in there. Thankfully, it looks like the new fuel sending unit has fixed it for me although I don't understand why... As far as I can tell, there is only one fuel sending unit for both the 26 and 32 gallon tanks, so unless they can manually calibrate it for either tank, you would think it wouldn't fix anything. I certainly don't pretend to know how this stuff works though...
Absolutely!

Another way to look at it is with the way it is working now, I essentially paid FCA an extra $500 for a larger gas tank so that I can drive around with the weight of an extra 7 gallons of gas (6.3*7=44.1 lbs) that I will never deplete, because I don't know how much I truly have, thereby reducing my fuel economy over the life of the truck.

Now, don't get twisted. I didn't buy this truck for its wonderful gas mileage - although the 15.5mpg city is better than the 12mpg my '06 F150 gave me for 11 years. But I certainly didn't pay extra for a larger tank to not be able to take advantage of it.

It's kind of like building a 2500 square ft house and then only making 2000 livable space and saying that other 500 ft isn't available to use...

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Here's an idea....Put some gas in it when it reads low.
I have never understood why people will wait til the low fuel light is on before getting gas.
I usually just stop for gas when it's slightly below 1/2 a tank.

Like I said in my original post, "WHEN I AM DENIED MY REMOTE START" when the light comes on comically early!!! I have deduced that once the miles remaining miles reads "---" I have about 50 miles left. Now I rarely let it go to dashes and stop soon after the damn idiot light comes on because I enjoy using my remote start.

Personally, I do not care if you stop for petrol every day, why rain on my parade dude? Maybe you socialize there or stop for coffee and sodas but I pay at the pump and am gone. You realize that when the idiot light illuminates that the tank has over 100 miles left of driving... I love stopping for gas every 500 miles, but RAM forces me to stop, when it could be 550 and for me, that is one day's commute. If RAM did not choose to disable the remote start this topic would be a non-starter for me but since they have, I will continue to ********** RAM everytime I am sweating my balls off in the swamp this great country calls Florida.

Enjoy your stops at the gas station, sir.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Like I said in my original post, "WHEN I AM DENIED MY REMOTE START" when the light comes on comically early!!! I have deduced that once the miles remaining miles reads "---" I have about 50 miles left. Now I rarely let it go to dashes and stop soon after the damn idiot light comes on because I enjoy using my remote start.

Personally, I do not care if you stop for petrol every day, why rain on my parade dude? Maybe you socialize there or stop for coffee and sodas but I pay at the pump and am gone. You realize that when the idiot light illuminates that the tank has over 100 miles left of driving... I love stopping for gas every 500 miles, but RAM forces me to stop, when it could be 550 and for me, that is one day's commute. If RAM did not choose to disable the remote start this topic would be a non-starter for me but since they have, I will continue to ********** RAM everytime I am sweating my balls off in the swamp this great country calls Florida.

Enjoy your stops at the gas station, sir.

Go ahead and sweat...I'll just stop a little more often for gas.
It's really a non issue.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Go ahead and sweat...I'll just stop a little more often for gas.
It's really a non issue.
you're missing the point tho. these people PAID for the convenience of a farther driving distance between fill-ups. if the truck is not aware that it even has a larger tank. that's a feature that cost money that is rendered completely useless.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
you're missing the point tho. these people PAID for the convenience of a farther driving distance between fill-ups. if the truck is not aware that it even has a larger tank. that's a feature that cost money that is rendered completely useless.

Yes...I have the 32 gallon tank too and am aware of the issue.
I still think it's a non issue.
I'm not missing the point, I just think all of the melodrama about sweating his balls off because he can't use his remote start is comical when the remedy is to just put some gas in it.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally I would thank ram for telling me I need gas before I actually "need" gas. I would rather fill up a little early than take the chance of haveing to walk to get gas.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Personally I would thank ram for telling me I need gas before I actually "need" gas. I would rather fill up a little early than take the chance of haveing to walk to get gas.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Those with working gauges (and the 32 gallon tank) have adequate notice of low fuel...

There is no reason that on a 32 gallon tank the warning should come on with almost 25% of the tank left. Reserves usually come on with about 5%-10% left.

I can go over 100 miles after the light comes on, that is crazy.

It works properly with the 26 gallon tanks, is the argument that their lights should come on earlier (with around 7 gallons left)?

Either something is wrong with the 32 gallon execution of reserve, or something is wrong with the 26 gallon tank's reserve.

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those with working gauges (and the 32 gallon tank) have adequate notice of low fuel...

There is no reason that on a 32 gallon tank the warning should come on with almost 25% of the tank left. Reserves usually come on with about 5%-10% left.

I can go over 100 miles after the light comes on, that is crazy.

It works properly with the 26 gallon tanks, is the argument that their lights should come on earlier (with around 7 gallons left)?

Either something is wrong with the 32 gallon execution of reserve, or something is wrong with the 26 gallon tank's reserve.

In my personal experience anything with an actual "RESERVE" that I have owned , that reserve is usually equal to about 20%-25% of the tank capacity.

So that being said if you are considering the low fuel light indicating that you are in the reserve amount , then having 6-7 gallons left sounds about right on to me.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In my personal experience anything with an actual "RESERVE" that I have owned , that reserve is usually equal to about 20%-25% of the tank capacity.

So that being said if you are considering the low fuel light indicating that you are in the reserve amount , then having 6-7 gallons left sounds about right on to me.
Except it’s not a reserve. You get the 26 gallon tank standard, or have the option or getting the 32 gallon tank. No mention of a reserve tank.

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Except it’s not a reserve. You get the 26 gallon tank standard, or have the option or getting the 32 gallon tank. No mention of a reserve tank.

I didn't label it as a reserve , the person I quoted did.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

What vehicle have you owned with a 25% of total tank capacity reserve? I use the term reserve coming from the Mercedes world where it is called the reserve. Typically there is 2-3 gallons in the reserve in a just under 20 gallon tank. Around 10%.

One is incorrect, either the 32 gallon light is coming on too early, or the 26 gallon tank is coming on too late. Either way one is wrong. Which is it?

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I never said reserve tank. Just reserve... The term reserve is often used for the remaining fuel after the low light indicator is on, as reserve tanks are not common anymore.

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What vehicle have you owned with a 25% of total tank capacity reserve? I use the term reserve coming from the Mercedes world where it is called the reserve. Typically there is 2-3 gallons in the reserve in a just under 20 gallon tank. Around 10%.

One is incorrect, either the 32 gallon light is coming on too early, or the 26 gallon tank is coming on too late. Either way one is wrong. Which is it?

Virtually any motor cycle "Harley specifically " has a reserve of around 1 gallon. And have around 5 gallon total capacity , depending on model.

Most big trucks , with 75 gallon tanks the light will come on at or around 15 - 20 gallons left.

My 2002 , 2500 , 4x4 dodge with 32 gallon tank, light would come on with 6 gallons left.

My wife's cts-v , 18 gallon tank. Light comes on with 3-4 gallons left.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The “reserve” point is moot. I don’t care if the the low fuel light comes on with 3/4 of a tank left, as long as the fuel gauge and fuel range is accurate.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That’s my issue with the 32 gallon tank. I don’t care when the low fuel light comes on, but the distance to empty should be somewhat accurate. When it gets down to 0 miles it empty we shouldn’t be able to drive 50-70 miles and still not run out of fuel.

deanoldo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From the manual:

Low Fuel Indicator Light Yellow Telltale Light

What It Means
Low Fuel Indicator Light

When the fuel level reaches approximately 3.0 gal (11.0 L) this light will turn on, and remain on
until fuel is added.

Mine came on with about 5 gallons left, so 15%. Not perfect, but a lot better than it was.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From the manual:

Low Fuel Indicator Light Yellow Telltale Light

What It Means
Low Fuel Indicator Light

When the fuel level reaches approximately 3.0 gal (11.0 L) this light will turn on, and remain on
until fuel is added.

Mine came on with about 5 gallons left, so 15%. Not perfect, but a lot better than it was.

This is way off on mine. With my 32 gallon tank, it comes on with 7 gallons left or 22%.