4.7l to 5.7 hemi swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Alright guys after looking at all the things I could do to my 4.7l to make some power (didn't take long cuz there is nothing :D) I am deciding I want to do a 5.7 hemi swap.

Obviously to start with I need the motor.
The transmission are the same so I would only need a new bell housing? Correct me if I'm wrong I do believe they are different between the 4.7l and 5.7l
Next is probably a torque converter
And I know I need the 5.7l ECU
Probably need to get the 5.7l A/C hoses ( I live in Florida so I definitely want to keep the A/C)

Is there anything else I'd need to do the swap? Has anyone actually done this swap and can guide me through the parts I will for sure need?

Any help and input is welcome :)
Thanks guys!
Chris

P.S. I know you would recommend buying a new truck... well I'm not I love my truck and do not plan to get rid of it at all. So I am willing to spend the extra cash to hemi swap my truck instead of trade in or buy a new truck.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Just throwing this out there. You might consider using a 05 PCM that has the better trans and engine tuning.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
A donor truck is most often the shortest path to getting to where you want to get. You ca get pull everything you need from the donor.

When looking for your engine, have a look at wrecked auctions. In many cases, the mechanic is in sound condition, but the body and frame can't be repaired. They make perfect donors. Also when you are done, the metal scrappers will give you a few hundred $$ for the remaining metal, and sometimes more if you took all the non-ferrous (plastics, body moldings, etc.) materials out of the truck before bringing it to them as they save a lot of hassle before putting the car in the crusher.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you search various forums this topic has come up more than we can count but there are threads where people actually hemi swap a 4.7 truck ie a Dakota, ram. You should check hemitruckclub that's how we set up track meets like you seen the one time you were out. A guy on there did a hemi swap to his 04 Dakota an now a stroked hemi. 4.7 PCM will work an you have an advantage beig able to use a cable driven tb

Also dodgetalk is a good source