4 wheel drive issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tony1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all first time hear , this forum is great very informative, I have a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 stinger, 2 weeks ago we had snow here in ca so had to put it in 4 wheel drive , something is definite wrong truck started to pull to the right , but just once in a while , the next day tried it again in the driveway , truck pulled to the right , and it felt like when I drove I was loading up a spring , not warning lights didn’t hear anything snap , it’s going in to my local mechanic tomorrow to look at ,is there anyone out there this is happened to , or any idea what’s going on , gotta a funny feeling this is gonna cost a lot
Thanks to all who reply

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If one of your CV's snapped or if the center axle disconnect has failed, either of those things could possibly cause that outcome. Or if one or more of your tires is a different size than the others, or if one of your tires is very low on air pressure.

But also the "loading up a spring" thing is common to any conventional 4x4 if you drive it on a high traction surface. There is no differential between the front and rear axles so they will bind if you go around a corner or if one or more tires is a different diameter than the others.

OP
OP
T

Tony1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s great thanks , it drives perfect in 2 wheel drive , only in 4 wheel drive that I have a problem .
I was thinking it was the chain drive in the transfer case

OP
OP
T

Tony1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the road was snow covered so no high friction , it’s been cold up here lately so I’ve had about 10pds pressure difference between front tires and rear tires , and when it’s feels like it’s loading up it feels like the tranny or transfer case or something is gonna snap under the center console floor , can’t explain it but it feels like the tension is unbelievable

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
So the road was snow covered so no high friction , it’s been cold up here lately so I’ve had about 10pds pressure difference between front tires and rear tires , and when it’s feels like it’s loading up it feels like the tranny or transfer case or something is gonna snap under the center console floor , can’t explain it but it feels like the tension is unbelievable
Welcome to the Forum from another Canadian. There are a lot of really knowledgable and helpful people on here that try very hard to answer questions. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to diagnose the problem from the description your are providing. It is going in to the mechanic anyhow, as long as you trust him all is good. Would love to hear what it turns out to be.

You already know this but I would suggest you do not try to drive it in 4x4 till you get it looked at.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like the front axle disconnect didn't disconnect. Therefore when you put it in 4x4 your front axles are still essentially connected and the result is axle 'wind-up'. That's a condition where your driveline binds on a high-friction surface. Different tire pressues don't help.

OP
OP
T

Tony1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks jeepwalker at least I’m not walking in blind

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Sounds like the front axle disconnect didn't disconnect. Therefore when you put it in 4x4 your front axles are still essentially connected and the result is axle 'wind-up'. That's a condition where your driveline binds on a high-friction surface. Different tire pressues don't help.
You have that wrong. The front axle connects when u put it in 4x4. If it didn't disconnect when you shift to 4x2 it would still feel like it was in 4x4. My guess is the left hub and axle is not engaging, for the pull to the right but that does not explain the severe drive line wind up the OP is describing.

OP
OP
T

Tony1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Keeping it simple as possible , could it be transfer case or do you think front end

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't know what xfer case he's got. But if the F axle disconnect remained connected in 2wd, the front driveshaft would spin 'free' (or differentiate) and not wind up (enough to pull the wheel). Unless the xfer isn't changing modes, which is possible.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He either has a 44-44 auto or 44-45. Guess Op needs to say whether or not hs has 4wd Auto on his transfer case switch.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you feel like it is binding up when turning, especially at low speeds, that can very well be normal operation. Even if the roads have a layer or snow on them there is still sometimes enough grip to cause this. That is perfectly normal.......but also really hard to tell if what you are feeling is normal or something out of the ordinary on a forum!
As far as the pull that doesn't seem that normal. If you were in deep snow and needed 4wd just to move it would maybe be possible. If the front wheel/axle on either side of the front diff is not engaging than you basically have no 4wd and it's not possible for one side to pull. On the stock open front diff is will send all the power to the side with least resistance, and if one side wasn't connected or something like the CV shaft was broke, all of the "power" would just be spinning out the direction because there is no resistance. There would be no power going to the other side tire and would be the same as being in 2wd. Same as if you jacked one of the front tires off the ground. That tire would spin and spin because it's freewheeling and nothing would be going to the tire on the ground.

OP
OP
T

Tony1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update , so I forget to tell you that I had the rear diff replaced a year ago , my mechanic informed me today that they installed the wrong rear end in my truck takes a 392 and they put in a 355 , good news that they are going to replace the rear end, but I’m now worried that the clutch’s in the transfer case may be screwed up, is there anything I should ask them to check

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Update , so I forget to tell you that I had the rear diff replaced a year ago , my mechanic informed me today that they installed the wrong rear end in my truck takes a 392 and they put in a 355 , good news that they are going to replace the rear end, but I’m now worried that the clutch’s in the transfer case may be screwed up, is there anything I should ask them to check
Find a different mechanic, with moves like that he could get you in an accident or worse.

OP
OP
T

Tony1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was a dealer ship my mechanic found the problem

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn, that would explain the binding you described coming from under the console. Hope the T-case is good and doesn't have issues down the road.