46re trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ksmit522

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m rebuilding my 46re 4x4 5.9 trans.
Any one hlep for me on a torque converter brand/stall and so on.

No performance upgrades on it and very rarely tow if so a small trailer.
Just want a stout trans.

Also I have a brand new valve body for it. Even no it’s new should I upgrade with with trans go kit or sonnax or is sonnax more for fixing worn out issues? Thanks

Matter a fact a rebuild suggestion/brand woud be great. Can be whole thing with converter and steels and electrical

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If I were to rebuild the trans myself, I'd think something like these...

Monster Transmission heavy-duty torque converter

Red Eagle 46re rebuild kit

...along with your aforementioned TransGo shift kit (I'm not familiar with the Sonnax one). Won't be cheap (of course, you could always spend more!), but should be more than reliable with factory power. For further reliability, consider an aftermarket fluid cooler.

Not much for stall on that torque converter, but you really don't need much for a heavy truck, especially if you're just keeping the engine stock. If I understand correctly, too much stall speed results in the torque converter not moving enough fluid to maintain cooling, resulting in it overheating and failing.

OP
OP
K

Ksmit522

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you very much! Yeah I know be expensive. But if I can keep it going better then buying a new one.