4th Gen 2018 SPORT Tow Hooks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Just called my local dealer parts counter. Skid plates and tow hooks on supplier change and back order until July. Even said unable to get some of the parts at all because they didn’t sell enough of them. BUT HOW COME SOME WEBSITES SHOW THEM IN STOCK!!!! Trying to take our money without being upfront and honest. Guess I won’t be doing any of those mods any time soon.

And oooh good find! I’m just concerned about the quality and durability of those hooks..same mold...but what about material..

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just called my local dealer parts counter. Skid plates and tow hooks on supplier change and back order until July. Even said unable to get some of the parts at all because they didn’t sell enough of them. BUT HOW COME SOME WEBSITES SHOW THEM IN STOCK!!!! Trying to take our money without being upfront and honest. Guess I won’t be doing any of those mods any time soon.

And oooh good find! I’m just concerned about the quality and durability of those hooks..same mold...but what about material..

i guarantee that the actual plant has boxes and boxes of extra parts, my plant does from change over vehicle. not sure when or how they release the parts to dealers

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7

I have a pair of hooks that I bought, but never used. You can have them, but you need to come get them.

or $125 for me to ship.

hooks1 (Medium).jpg hooks2 (Small).jpg

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
These are pretty heavy. They weigh about 20# each.

Ah ha! See not same quality! Above amazon linked ones are 19lbs TOTAL! Can’t find the wright on the Mopar ones online.

Mopar ones are 22.93lbs total together....not 20lbs each..

Last edited:

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Ah ha! See not same quality! Above amazon linked ones are 19lbs TOTAL! Can’t find the wright on the Mopar ones online.

Mopar ones are 22.93lbs total together....not 20lbs each..

My bad! They seemed heavier as I keep having to pick them up and move them around my garage :) In my defense, I am weaker as I get old.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
My bad! They seemed heavier as I keep having to pick them up and move them around my garage :) In my defense, I am weaker as I get old.

Haha no worries I thought that proved the 3rd party version was a cheaper inferior product.

10lbs each really ain’t much...I mean I GUESS if these weren’t designed well and vehicle too weak to handle it then we’d be seeing a bunch more guys complaining on here about them and damaged pictures etc. think someone said they bent them but that’s all I’ve seen. I’d assume it could handle a practical task but jerking it and bad angled towing may cause it to bend. But I do also hope the supplier change isn’t because of quality/durability issue...because then I’ll have wished I waited!! Maybe the designs changing too:(

Found it online on back order but only until first week of April (which is way better than July). Placed the order.

Maybe that’ll stall some so can get custom bracket by then so I don’t cut the lower bumper plastic twice. Once to fit hook temporary weird angled and then again for the custom bracket. Also thinking I may be able to cut a little hole to slide the hook through from under the bumper so don’t have to cut our entire piece of plastic just enough to wiggle the hook through.

FlaSeadude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I added the factory tow hooks to my RAM Sport recently. I had to remove the lower grill and cut out rectangular holes for the hooks to pass through. The hooks sit close to the bumper, but there is plenty of room to insert a flat tow strap.

RAM tow Hooks 2.jpg

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The hooks face out. Yes they fit facing out. It’s close to the bumper but do not rub it. I had them installed on my express.
Just take a utility blade and a heat gun and cut a little at a time. I do recommend getting some edge guard to clean up the cuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Wow that looks great! Super glued it to the insert? Had to pop the insert out? Think you got a different insert but I'm definitely doing that. 1/8th" trim?

Thinking about either hole saw & hack sawing it to create nice oval, heat gun and cutting, or tiny hole to squeeze just the hook through at an angle not the whole width of the hook hole.

Still open to any other bracket options so don't have to bother him to do it. Seems like everything else pretty much planned out and ready to go. Such a simple mod that's overly complicated. Mopar shoulda just had the part for this; sure they been asked a billion times about it over the course of the years from customers.

Last edited:

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Thanks for the trim link!

Just remembered reading that 33 page hook post and they mentioned using too much heat is an issue. Already burnt my visor with heat gun so hopefully I don't repeat that experience hah.

Any tips on creating template or cutting the hole right (with and without special bracket)?

Based off looking at mine today I'm thinking (CENTERED):
1 1/2" from the outside painted bumper
1 1/4" width of the hole
1.8" to 2" length

Think I found the answer thanks to @R.L.K. But his were without bracket pointing inwards I think, wondering if size differs with bracket outwards:
4beb2269edaf4739c05dc2aac8e0cdcd.jpg

Last edited:

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You heat the utility knife blade mainly, not the plastic too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FlaSeadude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hmm. Yours looks great! Some seem to completely be right on the bumper not sure why. Looks like you got a good amount of space. Clean cuts too. Sorta thinking I want my hooks facing out though.

Anyone tried these? Assuming maybe cut to the size and these go in?

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Hound-Au...am+sport+tow+hook+bezel&qid=1582415182&sr=8-1

Thanks! I user a Dremel tool with the flat cutting wheel to make the cuts and then used a file to smooth the edges.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As shown in the pics, I removed that plastic piece, it's easy to remove and you can do a better cutting job with it sitting on a work bench.

The back side is smooth so I just took a marker and made an outline of where to cut and cut from the back.

If you mess it up that entire insert is only like $30.

If I were you I would wait till you have the brackets

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
As shown in the pics, I removed that plastic piece, it's easy to remove and you can do a better cutting job with it sitting on a work bench.

The back side is smooth so I just took a marker and made an outline of where to cut and cut from the back.

If you mess it up that entire insert is only like $30.

If I were you I would wait till you have the brackets

Sure makes you wonder about pricing doesn't it. I bought a spare bumper insert for my Sport awhile ago through the dealer for 28 bucks Canuck,but then you go to buy a tiny little plastic push pin to hold up the underhood insulation and it's like 10 bucks or more a pin at the dealer,where's the justification in that,lol. Wonder how many plastic push pins you could make out of the same amount of plastic used to make the bumper insert,lol

CamrenR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I decided on just buying a front hitch setup for my truck instead of trying to make hooks work. Not as cool looking but sure does the job and more