4WD Lock versus 4WD low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Wait.. i thought ALL AWD vehicles had center diffs... and 4x4's had T-cases.. hence why no binding on dry roads.

Raist11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, the debate came in because it was said that AWD has a center differential, which very few vehicles have nowadays.

I never said it had a center differential. I said, AWD is a different beast from 4WD. But I keep getting quoted and told about the technical workings of AWD. Which really doesn't matter for the point of.. 4wd and AWD are different in that AWD is typically designed to be always on (not selectable) and a typical 4wd is meant to be used in low traction situations. Yes, there are a variety of different variations of these systems that allow different things.. but holy crap, I just said that the typical two are freakin' different and one should only be used in low traction.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I never said it had a center differential. I said, AWD is a different beast from 4WD. But I keep getting quoted and told about the technical workings of AWD. Which really doesn't matter for the point of.. 4wd and AWD are different in that AWD is typically designed to be always on (not selectable) and a typical 4wd is meant to be used in low traction situations. Yes, there are a variety of different variations of these systems that allow different things.. but holy crap, I just said that the typical two are freakin' different and one should only be used in low traction.
I never said you said it...

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
my bad i thought i read somewhere that 44-44 transfer case was used in 2010 and later guess not lol sorry for the miss info

You are close...Ram actually started using the BW 44-44 transfer case in 2011. Loveracing1988 and others are incorrect. A quick search on Google reveals that the issue has been prevalent in some 2011 and 2012 trucks. See attached files.

Attachments

• 2011 Ram 1500 Transfer Case Specs.jpg
    2011 Ram 1500 Transfer Case Specs.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 2012 Ram 1500 Transfer Case Specs.jpg
    2012 Ram 1500 Transfer Case Specs.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 91

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I'll help you out, Lol.

According to the Society of Automotive Engineers, an all-wheel-drive vehicle is one with an on-demand feature that occasionally or intermittently sends power to the non-primary powered wheels. The most basic systems often begin with a front-drive platform with some kind of power-splitting differential housed inside the transmission in or in a separate box. AWD is able to send rotational power through a prop shaft to a rear differential where power is directed to each of the rear wheels.

I underlined the key word ;)

As a SAE Master certified technician from 2003-2013, before I changed careers into medical, I'm biased towards SAE definitions... Not Ford's marketing department.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You are close...Ram actually started using the BW 44-44 transfer case in 2011. Loveracing1988 and others are incorrect. A quick search on Google reveals that the issue has been prevalent in some 2011 and 2012 trucks. See attached files.
I was just going by what the Ram engineer told me. According to him they started the use of that transfer case in 2013.

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was just going by what the Ram engineer told me. According to him they started the use of that transfer case in 2013.

From my understanding, Ram switched to using the BW 44-45 part time transfer case in 2013 from the previous New Venture part time transfer case. That must have been what the engineer meant.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
From my understanding, Ram switched to using the BW 44-45 part time transfer case in 2013 from the previous New Venture part time transfer case. That must have been what the engineer meant.
He may have, but I don't know why he would, the discussion / argument was strictly about the 44-44 and how great it is and how could I not love their premium transfer case.

jon0m0berry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I to was wondering what the different 4wd modes are used for. a lot of good info here

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I to was wondering what the different 4wd modes are used for. a lot of good info here

An example of the last (and only) time I used my low range, was on a steep and slippery boat ramp. Trying to recover my boat in 2WD, I was having some traction loss on the ramp, so I engaged 4WD Low, and I got out just fine. Usually 2WD is just fine at the ramps, just that one instance where I had traction issues.

I'll use the 4WD Auto in the rain - most of the roads I daily drive on get slick, even when it's just rain, and I haven't seen any performance issues at all. Haven't driven in the snow yet, but I'm looking forward to playing around in it!

CF_Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

For me it goes like this:

2WD - Everyday driving, ALWAYS use this on pavement unless I'm going perfectly straight and even then I tend to not need 4WD. I tend to stay in 2WD until I "need it," like going up an icy hill or the roads get bad and I want to stay straight.

4WD AUTO - When 2WD isn't enough but pavement patches arise, like sectional snowdrifts across the road (snow/pavement/snow/pavement etc.) Or stuck on ice but 20ft up is pavement.

4WD LOCK - If theres a foot of snow on the ground or I want to go through mud, or I'm backing a trailer on grass up hill in reverse and 2WD isn't cutting it. I typically try 2WD first, for no real reason, and use 4WD as a "last resort" for no real reason either.

4WD LOW - Now this is the TRUE last resort. I use this mode when I'm stuck in all other modes, or I'm off-road and want to go slow over rough terrain. I've also used this to drag heavy things with ease. This is also fun if you want to fling mud everywhere.

Thats just the way that I do it anyway, I'm sure others will have slightly different nuances. Most of the time I use 4WD just for fun.

xchudyxpl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me it goes like this:

2WD - Everyday driving, ALWAYS use this on pavement unless I'm going perfectly straight and even then I tend to not need 4WD. I tend to stay in 2WD until I "need it," like going up an icy hill or the roads get bad and I want to stay straight.

4WD AUTO - When 2WD isn't enough but pavement patches arise, like sectional snowdrifts across the road (snow/pavement/snow/pavement etc.) Or stuck on ice but 20ft up is pavement.

4WD LOCK - If theres a foot of snow on the ground or I want to go through mud, or I'm backing a trailer on grass up hill in reverse and 2WD isn't cutting it. I typically try 2WD first, for no real reason, and use 4WD as a "last resort" for no real reason either.

4WD LOW - Now this is the TRUE last resort. I use this mode when I'm stuck in all other modes, or I'm off-road and want to go slow over rough terrain. I've also used this to drag heavy things with ease. This is also fun if you want to fling mud everywhere.

Thats just the way that I do it anyway, I'm sure others will have slightly different nuances. Most of the time I use 4WD just for fun.

Lots of info here, but how about 2010 RAM Sport with 4WD Lock and 4WD Low options only.

My assumption is:
4WD Lock - Snow Covered Roadways, Deep Snow, Mud etc.
4WD Low - When you get stuck and above 4WD Lock is not cutting it.

Do I have it correct?

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Lots of info here, but how about 2010 RAM Sport with 4WD Lock and 4WD Low options only.

My assumption is:
4WD Lock - Snow Covered Roadways, Deep Snow, Mud etc.
4WD Low - When you get stuck and above 4WD Lock is not cutting it.

Do I have it correct?
Realistically the only time you will use 4 low is when you need extra torque. Rock crawling, pulling a stump out of the ground, pulling a car out of a ditch, those kinds of things.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So using 4 Lock won't damage anything while driving on snow covered roads? Mine doesn't have the 4 Auto.
My configuration:
2wd
4wd low
4wd lock
neutral

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So using 4 Lock won't damage anything while driving on snow covered roads? Mine doesn't have the 4 Auto.
My configuration:
2wd
4wd low
4wd lock
neutral

you'll be fine in 4wd on slippery surfaces. But try to avoid turning hard, even semi hard, in 4wd when you have traction.

Part-time transfer cases, without an "Auto" feature, (what you have) have no way to differentiate the RPM of the front and rear driveshaft when they're engaged in 4wd, so they're forced to spin at the same rate - which puts extra stress on the entire drivetrain during turns.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
you'll be fine in 4wd on slippery surfaces. But try to avoid turning hard, even semi hard, in 4wd when you have traction.

Part-time transfer cases, without an "Auto" feature, (what you have) have no way to differentiate the RPM of the front and rear driveshaft when they're engaged in 4wd, so they're forced to spin at the same rate - which puts extra stress on the entire drivetrain during turns.

Thanks for the info, first 4wd truck and we are approaching winter really fast. Kind of itching to see how it performs in snow here. I'm hoping the factory 17 in Wranglers M/S will be good for our winters.

danam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 4WD SLT Quad Cab
Engine
4.7l
I think i am pretty good now on this. I could have used this thread pre ram, use to turn my explorer hard in 4wd all the time, never gave it a 2nd thought but now I know better :)

crroberts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This might be way off topic by now. Or even a repeat. But what pissed me off is when I'm in a pinch and go to 4 lock. Then only 2 wheels spin. Granted it happens in every 4wd. Just a major pet peeve.