4WD Lock versus 4WD low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This might be way off topic by now. Or even a repeat. But what pissed me off is when I'm in a pinch and go to 4 lock. Then only 2 wheels spin. Granted it happens in every 4wd. Just a major pet peeve.

give it some gas...

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info, first 4wd truck and we are approaching winter really fast. Kind of itching to see how it performs in snow here. I'm hoping the factory 17 in Wranglers M/S will be good for our winters.

You'll be fine. The Wranglers aren't that great, but my first major snowfall experience was a good one (two weekends ago in Chicago). Zero issues that won't be bettered by anything besides better tires. Oh, and i have the "inferior" transfer case :roflsquared:

crroberts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh I know. I was just ranting. Of course the goodyears didn't help any. Of course traction control screws you over if you turn the wheels at all.

powrsurg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read through the 13 pages and there are a few points that were left out.
1) trucks that have the center diff / auto 4 wheel option are inferior offroad to the trucks that lack the center diff. If you notice the trim levels the bighorn, sport, and Laramie are meant primarily for touring and pulling loads on the highway. This being the priority having a center diff is functional since it allows for the 4 wheel auto option.the HFE, tradesman, and outdoorsman, are clearly meant for offroad use since they don't have the center diff.
2) the 4 wheel lock option means you are locking the center diff not the rear axels. Don't think for a second 4 wheel lock is the same as 4 wheel hi. It's not. In 4 wheel hi the rear left tire and the front right tire spin at the same speed. This is why you should never put your truck in 4 wheel hi on dry pavement and turn. The rear tire is forced to spin slower than the front and that puts tremendous stress on the diff. 4 wheel lock simulates this by locking the center diff. Even though the center diff is locked, it will allow slippage which permits you to drive in 4 wheel lock on dry pavement. This slippage will also occur in less convenient times in situations offroad where you want the power through something. In 4x4hi no matter what both the front and rears will spin or you'll blow the diff or shred your tires trying. In 4 wheel lock you will stop spinning the wheel that's jammed and only spin the opposite wheel that isnt.
3) if you don't believe that center diff 4x4 systems are inferior ask yourself why the rubicon, powerwagon, and hummer h1's don't come with a center diff.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1) trucks that have the center diff / auto 4 wheel option are inferior offroad to the trucks that lack the center diff. If you notice the trim levels the bighorn, sport, and Laramie are meant primarily for touring and pulling loads on the highway. This being the priority having a center diff is functional since it allows for the 4 wheel auto option.the HFE, tradesman, and outdoorsman, are clearly meant for offroad use since they don't have the center diff.
2) the 4 wheel lock option means you are locking the center diff not the rear axels. Don't think for a second 4 wheel lock is the same as 4 wheel hi. It's not. In 4 wheel hi the rear left tire and the front right tire spin at the same speed. This is why you should never put your truck in 4 wheel hi on dry pavement and turn. The rear tire is forced to spin slower than the front and that puts tremendous stress on the diff. 4 wheel lock simulates this by locking the center diff. Even though the center diff is locked, it will allow slippage which permits you to drive in 4 wheel lock on dry pavement. This slippage will also occur in less convenient times in situations offroad where you want the power through something. In 4x4hi no matter what both the front and rears will spin or you'll blow the diff or shred your tires trying. In 4 wheel lock you will stop spinning the wheel that's jammed and only spin the opposite wheel that isnt.
3) if you don't believe that center diff 4x4 systems are inferior ask yourself why the rubicon, powerwagon, and hummer h1's don't come with a center diff.

Lol, none of our Ram's have a center differential.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You are right about the fact the 44-44 is inferior off road you are incorrect as to why. There is no center differential in any of these trucks, the 4 auto case uses a clutch to engage and disengage power to the front axle.
Also 4 lock is the same as 4 hi for every other manufacturer provided you are referring to 4 lock in the 44-45 transfer case.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You'll be fine. The Wranglers aren't that great, but my first major snowfall experience was a good one (two weekends ago in Chicago). Zero issues that won't be bettered by anything besides better tires. Oh, and i have the "inferior" transfer case :roflsquared:

Thanks bud, I haven't been on here for a couple of weeks. I got he hell out of the north for a bit and currently in Florida. Great drive through the Blue range mountains just before that major snow storm a couple of weeks ago. I love the gas prices and certainly don't need 4x4 down here:)

powrsurg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are right about the fact the 44-44 is inferior off road you are incorrect as to why. There is no center differential in any of these trucks, the 4 auto case uses a clutch to engage and disengage power to the front axle.
Also 4 lock is the same as 4 hi for every other manufacturer provided you are referring to 4 lock in the 44-45 transfer case.

Fair enough, whether a center different or clutch mechanism, it's inferior. My general 4x4 knowledge is based on owning a highly customizable 2012 rubicon. Most trucks with all wheel drive accomplish this be utilizing a center diff. I don't know much about this specific clutch mechanism in the Bighorn, Sport, or Laramie, however I do know that whatever it is, I don't like it and wish I didn't get the bighorn. I'm trying to figure out a way to get out and into a powerwagon. F THIS!

DrewTZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fair enough, whether a center different or clutch mechanism, it's inferior. My general 4x4 knowledge is based on owning a highly customizable 2012 rubicon. Most trucks with all wheel drive accomplish this be utilizing a center diff. I don't know much about this specific clutch mechanism in the Bighorn, Sport, or Laramie, however I do know that whatever it is, I don't like it and wish I didn't get the bighorn. I'm trying to figure out a way to get out and into a powerwagon. F THIS!

So you didn't do your research before you bought? Sorry you bought the wrong truck for your needs.

madpuma13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did post in your other thread about the guy who says there is a kit coming to replace the clutch system with a mechanical one.

May be cheaper to do that than to get a power wagon. Good luck

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

powrsurg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At the time was was trying to get a power wagon but couldn't make the numbers work. I couldn't wait any longer as I desperately needed a pick up. In NY there is a 5500 lbs limit before a truck automatically becomes commercial. I was shooting for a loaded Laramie with the Rambox but that box kept putting the truck over 5500. Finally I said screw it and bought the bighorn fully loaded. This was my mind set at the time. It isn't always so black and white / research no research. Sometimes time mandates you pull the trigger now. If if special ordered anot outdoorsman loaded with katskinz, I would have been screwed. I was aware of the auto 4x4 knob but wouldn't complain if it didn't slip as much as it does. I'm not rock crawling with this pick as I did with the rubicon.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So you didn't do your research before you bought? Sorry you bought the wrong truck for your needs.
The only research that will reveal this issue is if you happen to find threads about it. Any official documentation from ram doesn't reveal the piece of crap they put in these trucks, only users can. It still isn't an excuse for ram misleading customers like they are.

DrewTZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only research that will reveal this issue is if you happen to find threads about it. Any official documentation from ram doesn't reveal the piece of crap they put in these trucks, only users can. It still isn't an excuse for ram misleading customers like they are.

Agreed. This was the first place I came to look for common issues before I bought mine. If there's a big enough issue, you'll be able to find it on a forum.

powrsurg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I kinda agree with that for most people however I was coming out of a rubicon. I should have realized it as soon as I saw the auto 4wh knob setting. I didnt. I didn't realize actually until I went to almost thevery last page in the brochure where in very very small font it mentioned the difference. I already owned the truck at that point.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I kinda agree with that for most people however I was coming out of a rubicon. I should have realized it as soon as I saw the auto 4wh knob setting. I didnt. I didn't realize actually until I went to almost thevery last page in the brochure where in very very small font it mentioned the difference. I already owned the truck at that point.
Don't beat yourself up. The GM auto trac transfer case has 4 auto and 4 hi/lock and it actually locks in 4 hi.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what's RAM's stance about this going forward? Mine's a 2012 and I have the "real" (or whatever you want to call it) 4wd lock which is why I bought used rather than a newer RAM with the 8-speed (which I've driven and loved but had to decide what I wanted more). But has anything official been said about future models on this issue? I've heard that only the 2500's and 3500's will have a true 4wd lock from now on, but for my use I don't really need a pickup with an HD suspension or towing capacity. It seems more and more like the big 3 automakers are catering to a market where light duty pickups are going the way of the minivan or urban soccer mom SUV now with this AWD and turbo charged 6 cyilnder crap. I don't want to buy a HD version of a pickup because I hate the ride but if that's what automakers are all doing I won't have a choice, I don't want SUV transmissions/engines. If this is how things are going to be I'm going to do my level best to keep mine until it falls to pieces.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know mine does regardless of what others "think" they know saying it doesn't fully lock in.

My guess is it's supposed to lock in, but the clutches slip under hard use. Some may be worse than others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
My guess is it's supposed to lock in, but the clutches slip under hard use. Some may be worse than others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a good possibility, but mine for sure locks at any speed. When I'm rolling through the pasture and hit a wet spot, it's hammer down.