4wd selector knob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkStar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello...new member who just bought a 2013 Ram with 56,000 miles. I have several questions but most pressing is not knowing exactly what each 4wd position does (or means). I have 2wd which should be obvious except i'm not sure if I have an open differential or limited slip which leads to traction control which is always on it seems, then there's 4wd auto which I thought might be some kind of awd, then 4wd lock which I'm thinking should lock all drive wheels, then 4wd low but again...open dif or limited slip. We've had 1 snow since buying this truck and it was all over the place. Tried all settings and even lowered tire pressure to 28lb. Also I have "touring" tires which makes me think I should put on some more aggressive tires. Yesterday I put 8 bags of sand in the back but don't think it should have to come to that.
I know that was long but I can't find any reliable info about these issues.
Thanks in advance: )

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Go to the Ram website and plug in your VIN and print out your build sheet / window sticker to find out about your diff ... Yes, Auto is kind of a AWD “as needed” setting ... Lock is the one that gets the job done ... You don’t wanna run around on dry pavement in Lock ... As for tires, yes, your truck will only go as good as your tires ... There are plenty of mountain snowflake rated tires in an AT that are nice and quiet, and ride smooth ... There is a button on your dash to turn traction control off ... Sounds like you need to grab a beer and go sit in the chair in front of the fireplace, and spend some time with the owners manual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
In snow I find the truck will fish tail a lot with a anti-spin diff in 2 wheel drive vs. an open diff. On the road in bad weather conditions 4 Auto is probably your best choice. Having the right Tires will definitely make difference.