5.7 E torque towing capacity 12,750 when properly equipped*; what does that mean?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2006 WW Trailer, OK company, local sales rep. Posted pics post 17: dual axle, electric brakes, wooden floor with rubber mats. Trailer : 2150 lbs. Hossie: 1250 lbs.
Hay: 60-85 lbs per bale, all depends. I can load a total of 44 square bales in trailer. So use average 70 lbs: Hay a lil over 3,000 lbs. My Max load with trailer is 6,000 lbs. SO I pull between 5-6K all depends upon how good the hay is and how packed. Use 7,500 lb hitch and ball on Class IV hitch. l I do not use WDH as I am only going local. Trailer loads evenly between front to rear door, and sits mostly level fully loaded. Regular hitch, no lower drop down adjustments not needed on a 1500.

Too much? lol.

Hemi pulls it no issues. FTR, for all the nay sayers, I do use tow/haul. Trailer unloaded actually gets worse mpg than loaded and pulling totally straight. Just the physics I guess. MPG towing in town, fully loaded, speed listed on loop around town 60 mph. As U see, I am a few mph under max, anybody in a hurry, go around, roflmao. 14.6 mpg pulling in town (even on the lie-o-meter), is for an 1500 friggin outstanding, considering the TQ band on a gas motor in my book.

FTR: I at times borrow my neighbors flat trailer to get hay, it was just not available as it is a Biotch at 104 F to unload a stock trailer of hay and stack.

View attachment 526722View attachment 526723
I have had a around 3600 lbs in my bed before. Slightly over weight lol. It did just fine.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3600 in bed, yeah, U like 3X overloaded for a short bed truck, lmao. As far as Op talking, 1500 pull 8K all day long, just not pass many gas stations, lol.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
3600 in bed, yeah, U like 3X overloaded for a short bed truck, lmao. As far as Op talking, 1500 pull 8K all day long, just not pass many gas stations, lol.
It was an emergency situation. Back when I was roofing I picked up a load of shingles got to the job site and realized 1 pallet was the wrong color. I booked it back to the yard and grabbed a pallet. Its hauled some heavy shingle loads in its day. Not nearly as many as my poor old 02 Silverado 4.8. That thing has hauled some loads. Even at over 300k, it never complained.

Dave-B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hey Guys I have a 2022 Big Horn hemi 5.7 etorque 5’7” bed that has a towing capacity of 8,110. I realize that the 12,750 towing capability is only available when the truck is properly equipped. Is there a certain gear ratio, suspension or other equipment that the 1500 needs to be fitted with to reach the 12,750 towing capacity? My truck is eventually being brought back as a lemon so I’d like to know what to look for in my next 1500 to reach the full 12,750 capacity. If you guys could help me out in educating me that’d be highly appreciated
What do you plan on towing? Sorry if somebody already brought this up but usually payload is a bigger issue way before towing capacity. I almost bought a 1500 with plenty of towing capacity for my 6000 lb trailer but it turned out that the tongue weight and all the options on the truck (e-torque, ramboxes, etc) had eaten away a lot of the payload capacity to wear I could only put 60 lb in the bed of the truck after connecting the trailer. Luckily I found a used similarly equipped 2500 and it tows like a dream. I will say the ride on a 1500 is much nicer.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
Luckily I found a used similarly equipped 2500 and it tows like a dream. I will say the ride on a 1500 is much nicer.
so so true, when i traded in the 1500, started driving the 2500 regularly... wow. so harsh. but its a big truck, not a cadillac like the 1500

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What do you plan on towing? Sorry if somebody already brought this up but usually payload is a bigger issue way before towing capacity. I almost bought a 1500 with plenty of towing capacity for my 6000 lb trailer but it turned out that the tongue weight and all the options on the truck (e-torque, ramboxes, etc) had eaten away a lot of the payload capacity to wear I could only put 60 lb in the bed of the truck after connecting the trailer. Luckily I found a used similarly equipped 2500 and it tows like a dream. I will say the ride on a 1500 is much nicer.
I would agree, what is he towing. But whatever it is, if he really wants to tow 12K, he should take the lemon return as his lucky day to get a 2500 instead.