5.7 Hemi Discontinued

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do believe the V-8 will be replaced by something similar to ford. They already adjusted their warranty as such. Either way, I'm glad I just traded my 2013 for a 2017 with a Hemi, not only do I want the Hemi.... That new Body style leaves a lot to be desired.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just watch FCA will drop the moose antlers and move over to what GM and Ford use.

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the new headlights and hood resemble a lot of GM and Ford style. So wouldn't he surprised!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this the latest everyone is seeing about this...

Rumor: 5.7L Hemi to be Discontinued in 2018

All jokes aside, I've seen some auto sites citing Ford reporting that their 8 cylinder F150 sales are rapidly dropping in favor of the turbo ecoboost sales even though they say they'll still continue the make them for the near future. To be brutally honest, the only advantage the good ol' 5.7 has going for it with the tech that's available nowadays is it sounds cooler with a magnaflow on it IMO. Despite all the naysaying, there's really no GOOD evidence that turbos suffer any more longevity issues than classic naturally aspirated V8 engines and turbo torque and fuel econ are slightly better. The V8 will eventually end up the way of the dodo. And so will today's turbos. A 2018 sports car will run a 1960 into the ground. Just evolution folks.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I know this much turbos are not cheap to replace when they go out and I won't have to replace one on my Hemi like I had to on my Cummins.
Dealer wanted over 5k to replace it, luckly I have enough knowledge and did it myself but alot of people cant.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Lots of turbos lasted 300000 miles or more on the 5.9 cummins.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
LOL, well mine only went 120,000. and I still had 3k in it by the time is was all back together.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The only engine any of the major manufactures offer in their HD trucks is either a big V8 or a diesel. Ford has never offered an Ecoboost in their HD line. Must be a good reason they still haven't five years after it was introduced in the F150. Not buying the fuel economy argument either. As Ford has proven it's either eco or boost, you don't get both. Since many HD owners frequently tow, it's not going to be eco.

NA engines are generally cheap to produce and reliable. It only cost FCA about $1500 to produce a 5.7 Hemi so good bet the 6.4 cost is still below 2k. Since HD's aren't held to the same fuel economy standards there little good reason to stir the pot. Small(er) FI engines generate a lot of heat and many run some pretty crazy cylinder pressures. To make good horsepower reliably it's going to cost manufactures a lot more money in the end. As the saying goes: Fast, cheap, reliable, you can only pick two. :)

FCA has stated the 5.7 is going to be discontinued in the HD trucks, which makes a lot of sense. But they also stated the Hemi end-date had been pushed back to at least 2021. Sources also stated there would be some upgrades to the 6.4 in the near future. If FCA did nothing else but offer the 8-speed trans on HD's most of the common complaints would go away. If they bumped HP and torque considerably, plus a new trans, who would really need turbos?

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this much turbos are not cheap to replace when they go out and I won't have to replace one on my Hemi like I had to on my Cummins.
Dealer wanted over 5k to replace it, luckly I have enough knowledge and did it myself but alot of people cant.

I look at it from another angle. I actually do trust turbos, they've been out long enough now and are starting to age well (I disregard a most of the hype scare tactics I read on some blogs about them) But here's the thing. I'm worried about the complicated infotainment systems in new vehicles far more than a modern turbo going. I'm a techno junkie and I know exactly how frequently touchscreen tech devices fail. And the replacement cost of them is also ridiculous. So I purchase 5 year warranties on all my new vehicles as standard practice for me now. Now both are covered right up until the day I trade it in :happy107:

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s why I bought the lifetime warranty. Those computer screens and informant systems will be a few grand. We had one of the small ones get broke in the new Ford Explorer at work, over 1,000 to replace it.

jjyergler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They'll be forced to dump the HEMI.

Thank your government. As CAFE standards increase, the big V-8 engines will be eliminated from the high volume vehicles.

They'll be able to sell a few thousand Hellcats without hurting fleet economy, but not hundreds of thousands of trucks.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just reviving an old thread....compliments from allpar.com today. I'm actually pretty excited and curious. If they upgrade the 5.7...it Wil be close to the 6.4 specs with hp and torque.....hopefully, we will hear some official news in january

"Allpar has been told that a new Hemi engine is in progress, to replace the current SRTs, without quite so much bulk or weight. Keeping a base Hemi V8 is also likely; the Hemi name sells Rams and Dodges, and not everyone wants a turbocharged six. A smaller Hemi could be valuable for sales, especially if fuel-economy standards are dialed back."

https://www.allpar.com/news/2018/01/future-of-the-hemi-updated-39221

Former owner of a 2012 Ram 1500...and future owner of a Ram 1500

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Read the article this morning. Looks promising for the Hemi.

The name alone is now synonymous again with Chrysler. If they dropped it there would be a massive void regarding brand image.

RamAz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only reason I bought my truck was the Hemi, the ford and ram lot are close here and an eco boost f150 was what I wanted but a Ram 1500 drove by and sounded nice so I stopped by the Ram dealer before making any rash decisions and an hour later I was on my way home in my new Ram.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had read that both Hemi truck engines will get an update but so far no one will confirm specifics. The Ram DT model (1500) will be officially unveiled at the Detroit auto show on Jan 13th. Hopefully we'll see some updates on the 5.7 in the 2019 release. HD's aren't getting the refresh until 2021.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I am hoping for 6.4 with HD specific 8 speed and 450ish HP / 500+ftlbs. My bank account disagrees.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I am hoping for 6.4 with HD specific 8 speed and 450ish HP / 500+ftlbs. My bank account disagrees.

Looks like you're very close to Detroit, are you going to the auto show?

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I may make it, not sure yet though. I would like to see the new 1500 in person. But man does it get crazy over there.

I think it will be a good show this year. There is a lot expected from most of the big manufacturers. Last year was kind of a bust. Mopar did all of those cool concepts at SEMA and then for Detroit kind of had nothing. The Demon hype was just beginning. Other big player’s didn’t have much of anything either.