5.7 Hemi Discontinued

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RixRox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The article mentions that Ford the 5.0L v8 isn't going anywhere. I think its up to us to voice our concerns to the RAM folks about the future of the HEMI...I don't want a 6.4L hellcat engine or an ecoboost engine ... the 5.7 is just right for my 1500. When my 2016 needs to be replaced, I'll be looking for another 5.7L HEMI.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If this is actually legit, I'd probably trade mine in and custom order a truck in the last model year with the hemi in it. Drive it till the wheels fall off.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
The article mentions that Ford the 5.0L v8 isn't going anywhere. I think its up to us to voice our concerns to the RAM folks about the future of the HEMI...I don't want a 6.4L hellcat engine or an ecoboost engine ... the 5.7 is just right for my 1500. When my 2016 needs to be replaced, I'll be looking for another 5.7L HEMI.

They will have to do something with the 5.7 to keep it competitive. Not to say you will be getting a Hellcat or a 4 banger on ***, cus I can't see Chrysler doing that (tho I'd take the Hellcat). I would guess they start by pumping some more power out of the current 5.7 with some tweaks. But they probably have a replacement Hemi in the works for the 1500. Power ALWAYS has to go up. Its a game they all play. And the 5.7 has had a long run.

01Ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have owned 87 cars and trucks in my lifetime. The two best engines I have ever had in an of my vehicles are the 5.7L in my Ram and the 6.4L in my Scat Pack. I would be very sad to see either of these engines discontinued. On the other hand, I am currently in Mopar heaven and not too worried about what is around the corner at this point.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have owned 87 cars and trucks in my lifetime. The two best engines I have ever had in an of my vehicles are the 5.7L in my Ram and the 6.4L in my Scat Pack. I would be very sad to see either of these engines discontinued. On the other hand, I am currently in Mopar heaven and not too worried about what is around the corner at this point.
My 2016 charger scat pack has the 6.4l and it's just has amazing power and sound. I love that big ass heavy car. Best naturally sounding v8 I have heard.

Former owner of a 2012 Ram 1500...and future owner of a Ram 1500

01Ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My 2016 charger scat pack has the 6.4l and it's just has amazing power and sound. I love that big ass heavy car. Best naturally sounding v8 I have heard.

I agree that the SP with the 6.4L has an incredible exhaust note and power. Best factory exhaust system I have ever owned. I would not even think of installing an after market system. I too love big heavy powerful cars. I was in high school and college in the 60's when cars like the Road Runner and Super B were very popular. The Charger is as close as you can get to those cars in today's market. As much as I like the 5.7L, if Ram ever offered a 6.4L in the 1500, I would be standing in line to buy one.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I agree that the SP with the 6.4L has an incredible exhaust note and power. Best factory exhaust system I have ever owned. I would not even think of installing an after market system. I too love big heavy powerful cars. I was in high school and college in the 60's when cars like the Road Runner and Super B were very popular. The Charger is as close as you can get to those cars in today's market. As much as I like the 5.7L, if Ram ever offered a 6.4L in the 1500, I would be standing in line to buy one.

Agreed. Most people who modify the exhaust on the 6.4 cars end up regretting it. I don't know why any one wants to. You can hear the car coming a mile away. But the system has no drone... and cruising lightly it is not intrusive. It is the deepest most baritone sounding V8 you can buy.

The stock Hellcat is a very close second IMO. I will say there is nothing like the super charger whine on the Hellcat. Even from inside it is loud. Suits the car so well.

Dodge did do some mods to the exhausts on the Hellcats they send around the country to do the "thrill rides" and they sound insanely mean. A Dodge guy told me it is a custom pre-production valve with a side dump (sending I think it was 50% of the exhaust out the side and 50% still out the rear). Gotta hear it in person. Nastiest sounding modern V8 out there. If Dodge decided to sell the parts I'm sure people would be lining up after hearing it.

01Ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Agreed. Most people who modify the exhaust on the 6.4 cars end up regretting it. I don't know why any one wants to. You can hear the car coming a mile away. But the system has no drone... and cruising lightly it is not intrusive. It is the deepest most baritone sounding V8 you can buy.

The stock Hellcat is a very close second IMO. I will say there is nothing like the super charger whine on the Hellcat. Even from inside it is loud. Suits the car so well.

Dodge did do some mods to the exhausts on the Hellcats they send around the country to do the "thrill rides" and they sound insanely mean. A Dodge guy told me it is a custom pre-production valve with a side dump (sending I think it was 50% of the exhaust out the side and 50% still out the rear). Gotta hear it in person. Nastiest sounding modern V8 out there. If Dodge decided to sell the parts I'm sure people would be lining up after hearing it.

You are right that there is nothing like the sound of a big super charger whine. Had a 2012 Shelby GT 500 for three years (wish I had it back). Never turned on the radio. My two favorite tunes were "Exhaust Note" and "SC Whine." That was a great sounding car but nothing like the SP with the 6.4L.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
One of my favorite exhaust setups are long tube headers with the stock cat back (mufflers). You don't get the typical aftermarket drone issues but still hear the snap, crackle and pops usually associated with long tubes. I've driven the SP Challenger on several occasions (Budget rents them:p) and while it sounded great I thought the 5.7 R/T sounded just as good if not better. But the 6.4/8 speed combo was unreal for the money. Power everywhere and wanted to go sideways if you just sneezed on the throttle.

Rumor is the Rebel will be significantly amped up over the current truck, so if there is any "big Hemi" offered it will likely be in that model first. But I've also heard only the 5.7 Hemi will be offered initially in DT models so who knows.

Last edited:

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Yep, the 6.4 has power everywhere. No matter what speed you are going if you punch it the car pulls so hard and response is instant. You will have to let off the gas before you know it you're doing 100 and the Hemi is saying "what, I was just getting started". Stock it feels like it has a Pedal Commander with a high setting lol. But some how its not hard at all to drive the car easy. It's a beautiful thing.

And yes, bang for buck it's a hell of a machine. I have never experienced the 6.4 with Jeep or Durango. Would be cool to see how that AWD grips.

Sooners89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
I highly doubt this is true. Isn't it their best seller?

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
FCA resources confirmed the 2019 Ram DT will launch with the 5.7 Hemi option still available. Whether or not it will get a HP/TQ bump wasn't confirmed but it seems likely. They also adamantly confirmed a V8 Hemi option will remain available in 1500's for the foreseeable future. Some FCA sources hinted that a significant redesign of the non-SRT Hemi is in the works. This is likely due to increased fuel economy and emissions requirements going forward. All motors are expected to get some sort of mild-hybrid and start-stop functionality.

Sometime after DT launch (2020-2021) FCA will release a turbocharged I6 option on the 1500. This is no doubt due to the success of the EcoBoost engines, so can't really blame Ram for jumping on the bandwagon. Again, this is not designated to replace the Hemi but just provide an alternative. Should have similar HP figures with much higher torque than the Hemi.

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nothing wrong with a turbo i6, the Aussie Ford's had one for years.

Final one was just over 500hp and more torque than the supercharged coyote 5.0 V8.

Last of the Aussie spec coyote V8 Ford's had just under 600hp.....

The turbo 6 was always faster off the line and up to 100mph...

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

George Grogan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The main reason I buy only Ram trucks is the 5.7 Hemi . The first gen 5.7 did have some minor bolt on belt driven part problems
But I myself have never had an issue with the block or head internals. I now have the 2nd generation 5.7 and am at a little over 80k miles no issues. As a matter of fact I rarely pop the hood . Only to check the fluids occasionally and clean the engine bay. My last Ram 1500 had 300k + on it and I regret selling it. Going turbo 6 cylinder is a huge mistake for Ram . For 6 cylinders to get the equivalent of a 5.7 it would take tremendously more compression per cylinder. Meaning more stress on the valves , piston rings and crank.
This is a foolish idea .
To go to a 6.4 liter means going long stroke, with a 6000 lb truck that means bad fuel economy and a top end that you will never find useful.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For 6 cylinders to get the equivalent of a 5.7 it would take tremendously more compression per cylinder. Meaning more stress on the valves , piston rings and crank.
The opposite is more likely.

Remember that its all about averages, and most of the time you're not at peak boost pressures just going around town and certainly not just cruising on the highway where a lot of us are racking up the majority of the mileage. As such, at low to no boost pressure cruising, your compression per cylinder is likely to be lower than the naturally aspirated engine.

Turbos offer the advantage of turning otherwise wasted exhaust energy into kinetic energy and allowing an engine to essentially become multi-displacement without the need for cylinder deactivation, since most of the time it can act as say a 3 liter engine until the rare instances you need to floor it to pass or are just having fun at a stoplight and the boost can bump you to 6 liters for a short time. Especially in constant speed cruising, GDI turbos are hard to beat on efficiency.

That said though, turbochargers are more complicated with a lot more plumbing and things to go wrong, so what would make sense to me is to have a NA be your base engine, and have a higher output turbocharged four valve per cylinder version be your optional upgrade.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ford has been running the EcoBoost in their F150 since 2011. That fact that Ford now has decided instead to produce a 7.3 liter NA gas motor for the HD trucks says a lot. Small displacement FI gas engines obviously aren't well suited to the typical HD application. My guess is mileage and reliability are not up to par when towing or hauling.

Or, as the EcoBoost owners so commonly say... You can have eco or boost, but not both:)

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy dead thread resurrection, Batman! To go a year and change with no new posts, then three (now four) in less than 24 hours? Not too common on RF!

So yeah, Hemi didn't die...most folks here could've told you that wouldn't happen. The tooling has long been paid for and FCA is making lots of money off of it. So far, the EPA hasn't forced the automakers to kill the good, ol' V-8 and I'm glad.

As for turbos, someone wiser than me pointed out they're consumables and I'd just rather not have one of 'em under the hood of a hard-working truck in Texas. That's not to say they can't and don't last in some applications, but for me and mine, it's not necessary.

TXCOMT

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
goes to show that you can't believe every rumor you see on the internet or youtube :happy175:

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ford has been running the EcoBoost in their F150 since 2011. That fact that Ford now has decided instead to produce a 7.3 liter NA gas motor for the HD trucks says a lot. :)
All it means is that:

1) Pushrod engines are cheaper to make
2) Fuel economy doesn't matter on super duties (3/4+ trucks in general), as they don't even have to report what it is and it in no way affects their fleet fuel economy.

The F150 though does, and AFAIK, The F150 isn't getting this engine, and its two most powerful engine options are turbos. That's more telling IMO when high power + fuel economy is needed.