5.9 Magnum low-midrange build questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hey guys, I finally got a job that pays worth a damn so I can finally seriously start looking into rebuilding my 5.9 in the near(ish) future.

My main focus is maximizing low-end torque while increasing mid-range power wherever possible. I discovered Hughes Engines sometime last year and they seem to have a plethora of goodies for our Magnum engines.

So far, I've tagged the following modifications...

-Iron Ram 1.92/1.62 cylinder heads (assembled with valves and #1110 valve springs)
-Hughes HER0814AL camshaft (their recommended entry-level "torquer cam" for the 5.9)
-Hughes 1.6:1 roller tipped rockers
-Comp Cams hardened pushrods

That's just for starters (haven't gotten around to looking at ignition/exhaust stuff yet). What I'm on the fence about right now is how to best feed the engine, in other words, air intake.

Considering the larger cam and higher flowing heads, I don't think the stock kegger is going to flow enough to make the most out of them. I know the keg can be ported to increase airflow, but would I be best off doing that or just dropping the coin for the Hughes FI Airgap manifold (supposedly the best flowing manifold made for the Magnum engines)? Also, this would be a good time to open up the throttle body. Should I go with Hughes Stage 1 (811 CFM) or their "Big Gulp" (1,007 CFM)?

Answers to these and any other tips for a "torque" build are appreciated. :favorites13: