6.4 Hemi Truck Issues (Sorry long write up but need advice)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

webdogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC Laramie Longhorn
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I also get the clunk on both sides of my truck with sudden drops. My old man has a '14 2500 CTD and has never experienced it.

OP
OP
SETEX 6.4

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well I'm bringing my truck in this evening. This time to a different dealership, actually the one I bought if from this time.
I didn't bring it to them from the getgo because they are a 40 min drive one way from my house. Its kind of inconvenience to go to them but they are going to give me a loaner truck why they hopefully fix what the other stealership messed up in the rear end.
I have a case number opened with RAM and RAM assured me that they would help get all of this resolved. Still on the fence if I believe them.
I have basically been documenting in great detail, typing out everything as if it is a police report. Its the long version of whats on the invoices every time service is done.
We shall see, wish me luck.

As far as the clunk goes, I'm really leaning to believing that its the body mounts underneath the driver and passenger floor boards. I have not yet got underneath and tried to tighten them further will a breaker bar.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Please describe your rear end noise..mine is making a vibrating noise on takeoff that happens between say 1400 and 1700 rpms apprx. Dealer also said they have no clue what it could be but im going in for recall soon would like to get this taken care of then if possible

J

jub jub

I'll be the odd man out here and recommend you not go to a dealer again for the diff issue. here's why, and I mean no offense to any of the techs out there that work at a dealership:

Often the techs you get, as a lone consumer, are what would be thought of as the lowest common denominator. Dealerships are a "learning hospital". Not to say they are not smart and good at what they do- but they simply lack the experience required to properly service an item like a differential. There are shops that specialize in this day in and day out and they do it for a reason. The really experienced techs at the dealerships are almost ALWAYS overwhelmed with fleet service and repair because they are more experienced and more efficient and able to push work through at an alarming rate and that keeps the fleet guys happy. Happy fleet purchasers spend money.

I get that the dealer likely botched it to begin with, but at the end of the day- what is your time and frustration worth to you? I'd personally fork over the cash to a specialty shop to diagnose the issue properly and I would inquire about the cost to repair it properly. At least then you'd have some ammunition to take to the dealer. Were it me, I would just pony up and get it fixed right and move past it.

My tolerence fuse for dumb **** is really, really short. I go from calm to bat-**** crazy in about 7 seconds flat when people are trying to cover things up. I am of the schooling that if you don't know- just admit it and find out the right answer. It just sounds like you are getting the run around because nobody there knows what is wrong nor how to diagnose it correctly- and in that, I would be concerned about their ability to actually repair it correctly. Personally, my sanity and peace of mind is worth more than a thousand bucks or whatever it will be. It really sounds to me like the dealership is laying the foundation to brush you off.

EDIT: I might add that if you are completely fed up with the issue- raise **** with the manager and tell him or her you want the experienced tech to look at this instead of the line techs. You'd be surprised. A lot of things that are seemingly a mystery to most, these guys have seen a hundred times. I used to deal strictly with the old man at Ford all the time- called him tin-skin because he looked like tin man. Anyways, if I ever had a real spooky issue no one could figure out, I'd bet the old bugger a bottle of whiskey he wouldn't find it. In the 20 years until he passed away, I never collected a single bottle, but I sure paid a few out.

This is one of the best responses to a post I have ever read! Bravo!

To the OP, I would take his advice and save yourself the stress.

OP
OP
SETEX 6.4

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Please describe your rear end noise..mine is making a vibrating noise on takeoff that happens between say 1400 and 1700 rpms apprx. Dealer also said they have no clue what it could be but im going in for recall soon would like to get this taken care of then if possible

No mine is nothing like that. Mine is caused by incompetent techs that screwed it up when changing the pinion seal.
It starts at about 30mph through 43mph. Its a hawling/whining sound. Its speed dependent will do it in any gear and does it with light acceleration and deceleration. Im NOT able to hear it with heavy acceleration.

OP
OP
SETEX 6.4

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This is one of the best responses to a post I have ever read! Bravo!

To the OP, I would take his advice and save yourself the stress.

I respect yalls opinions on this and totally see your points and yes it would be less stressful BUT. I refuse to spend money like that on a brand new truck.
I guess I should have told them when I purchased the truck to go ahead and charge me another $1500 for the cost of rebuilding the rear end 6 months down the road.

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
As frustrating as it is....your doing the right thing. Let RAM fix your brand new truck! That's a hell of a chunk of change to throw away. What a PITA your going through with the 'local dealer'. I would have done the same as you and filed a report with RAM....get some butts moving in the right direction to fix your truck. Good thing a RAM dealership screwed it up the first time....at least you don't have that kind of issue to contend with.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
No mine is nothing like that. Mine is caused by incompetent techs that screwed it up when changing the pinion seal.
It starts at about 30mph through 43mph. Its a hawling/whining sound. Its speed dependent will do it in any gear and does it with light acceleration and deceleration. Im NOT able to hear it with heavy acceleration.
Ok i wasnt sure if there was a noise you heard before the diff leak was fixed..mine is not leaking but ive had the noise looked into before and its not the exhaust or any shields..id just hate to drive it till it breaks or suffers serious damage [emoji20]

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think you are on to something with the body mounts. Mine did it on the driver's side today and that noise came from the floorboard area and I know there is a body mount right there.

OP
OP
SETEX 6.4

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have great new guys.
Sense my first post I contacted Chrysler opened up my own case number and filed a complaint on the ****** local stealership that refused to fix my truck.
Chrysler was very apologetic about the whole situation and assured me that my truck would get fixed correctly.
The lady at Chrysler hung up with me and contacted the assistant service manager at the stealership that did me wrong.
She called me right back and told me that he told her that there was nothing wrong with the rear axle and yes something was making noise but they didnt know what it was and it could barely be heard with the radio off and ac off.
REALLY DUDE !?!?!?
I told her that was bs, that it could very clearly be heard with both ac and raido on. She agreed that it was bs that they even admit there is a noise but they want me to just deal with it and move on. I told her I would not just move on an I WILL just keep climbing the ladder until my truck is fixed correctly.
I also told her I would NOT bring my truck there again.
So I had an appointment set up for this past Wednesday the 10th at the dealership I originally bought my truck at. Now I hadn't used them for service before because they are about a 45 min drive from my house.
So I dropped it off to them Wednesday evening around 4:30. Me and the service representative go for a ride and right off the bat she hears the howling and says that's gear whine or bearing wine. I told her exactly, I know.
We go back to the dealership and my original salesman throws me the keys to a brand new red 1500 single cab short bed 5.7 Hemi 8 speed 4x2 and tells me here drive this for a couple days while we figure out whats wrong with your truck. He had to take the window sticker off the window and put a paper tag on the back. Now this is what I call taking care of the customer. This truck is a hot rod to, good god. It literally had 24 miles on it when I dove off the lot with it.
So yesterday evening the service representative lady, (by the way shes one of the most knowledgeable service representatives I have ever dealt with) calls me to tell me about their findings. She says they tore the rear differential apart and found SCORING ON THE PINION BEARINGS AND IRREGULAR WEAR PATTERN ON THE RING N PINION.
I knew it, I told her!
She said they are going to replace the ring n pinion, carrier bearings, pinion bearings, crush sleeve, pinion seal, and pinion nut.
Basically rebuild the differential except they are keeping the original carrier LSD assembly. I'm good with that, there's nothing wrong with it.
She said more than likely Chrysler will back charge the ****** stealership for the first time they tried to fix the pinion seal, then charge them for the repair and rebuild this time around because they caused the damage with their negligence by not installing a new pinion nut and having it back off while I was driving it, and even charge them for the rental truck they will be putting me in. I was thinking to myself, good stick it to them assholes.
Here's the only bad thing. They cant get all the parts till around Thursday or Friday of next week.
They have put my truck back together and I'm going to go pick it back up this evening.
They said and I agree that its fine to drive it but it will just continue to have the whine noise.
So getting the parts and them needing the truck for three days pushes very close to Christmas holidays.
I told my service representative that we may just wait until after the first of the year to do the fix so that I don't have to deal with all the back and forth long drive around the Christmas and New Year Holidays.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my good news update and let everyone know to never use Mid County Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in Port Arthur Texas EVER. I knew there was a reason I didn't buy my truck from there in the first place and now I know the reason to never have service work done there.

OP
OP
SETEX 6.4

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think you are on to something with the body mounts. Mine did it on the driver's side today and that noise came from the floorboard area and I know there is a body mount right there.

I do believe we will have a body mount recall announced soon.
More and more people are starting to have this issue.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I test drove a 2500 6.4 (2015) Outdoorsman last night with, what I suspect, was the exact same clunk described. Pretty loud too. It had 6 kms on it when we left the lot.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

webdogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC Laramie Longhorn
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I would buy the body mount guess. Mine definitely sounds like it is under my feet and NOT in the wheel well.

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
I have great new guys.

I knew it, I told her!
She said they are going to replace the ring n pinion, carrier bearings, pinion bearings, crush sleeve, pinion seal, and pinion nut.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my good news update

HELL YA!!! Way to hang in there my friend!!:peace::waytogo: Let RAM eat all that cost...they'll get it fixed right and their work will be covered under warranty!! :favorites13:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Glad to hear that. I hope you have nothing but smooooooooth sailing from here on!

OP
OP
SETEX 6.4

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
UPDATE:

After the second dealer rebuilt the rear differential, there was still whining noise coming from the rear end.
Another very long story short Chrysler Engineering ended up approving to have a whole new axle assembly installed.
I picked it up this past Friday 1-16. She's good to go now. Its so nice not having a whining rear end on a brand new truck.
All is fixed now.
Just wanted to let you guys know.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Damn dude its about time! I swear i know more about these trucks than the techs when i talk to them..that aint sayin much lol

OP
OP
SETEX 6.4

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I know what you mean! I hate having to bring it in. Technicians don't know crap about crap anymore. It's sad really!

I'm happy with my truck again. Makes me want to wash it now!

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I know what you mean! I hate having to bring it in. Technicians don't know crap about crap anymore. It's sad really!

I'm happy with my truck again. Makes me want to wash it now!

I don't know if I'd be making such a blanket statement like that. There's good techs and not so good techs, this is true every profession.

As for your situation with the diff, I'm glad they got it figured out. It's very likely that the housing had issues from the beginning. I've actually ran into this before, a Nitro got 3 sets of bearings in less than 30,000kms before warranty finally let us put a new housing in it, then magically everything was good. It can be a royal pain dealing with warranty and certain chrysler people, the majority of them don't have a clue how to diagnose an issue and won't let a tech do what they want to fix a vehicle. Sometimes it's like working with a hand tied behind your back.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't know if I'd be making such a blanket statement like that. There's good techs and not so good techs, this is true every profession.

As for your situation with the diff, I'm glad they got it figured out. It's very likely that the housing had issues from the beginning. I've actually ran into this before, a Nitro got 3 sets of bearings in less than 30,000kms before warranty finally let us put a new housing in it, then magically everything was good. It can be a royal pain dealing with warranty and certain chrysler people, the majority of them don't have a clue how to diagnose an issue and won't let a tech do what they want to fix a vehicle. Sometimes it's like working with a hand tied behind your back.

I will agree with this, but dealerships do little to inspire confidence. I dropped my truck off last Monday for an APPOINTMENT to have a rear gear noise and transfer case/front axle noise fixed. I never received any phone calls, no contact whatsoever as to what was going on. I had to call the service writer who happens to be the assistant service manager on Friday to figure out what was going on. I know my extended warranty only covers 5 days worth of rental which is the reason I called. He was clueless about that and had to call me back to tell me Chrysler approved an extension to my rental. If I wouldn't have called him I would have been on the hook for paying for the rental. To top it off my truck wasn't even looked at until Friday because all the sudden their transmission tech couldn't work on HD trucks like they thought. I just want the truck fixed right like the op, and they can feel free to take their time, but keep me updated in some form as to what is going on!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca