6.4 or cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I currently own a RAM 5.7 with 3.21 and 8-speed transmission and may add another truck for towing our camper.

We are considering a Big Horn with 6.4 hemi & 4:10 gears. We tow our trailer 15% of the time each year and it is maxing out our 1500. Our 1500 tows well, but it still bounces some. We would keep it as well but, trade in a new Grand Cherokee. My wife likes the truck more. Our other option is with the Cummins 6.7. My concerns with the diesel are below.

1. Cost of maintenance, not concerned with oil changes.
2. will Cummins heat up during a 9 mile drive to work?
3. Dependable?

I also don't see a benefit of higher resale value. The Cummins is $9000 up front and I can imagine the $9000 advantage should be the same when trading up or selling.

Our trailer is around 8000lbs loaded, could be higher if towed wet with all the tanks full. But, we don't tow this way.

Any thoughts?

I'm leaning toward the gas, as the truck will be a daily driver for myself in Michigan.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Either truck should fit your needs fine. The 6.4 can handle that load pretty easily, especially only 15% of the time. Diesels like to have their legs stretched on long commutes, especially when a regen is needed. I think the diesel would be more fun to drive, and would pull better, but I don't see that it's a necessary upgrade for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
I was in the same boat last year. Needed a 3/4 ton for payload when towing the tavel trailer . Ended up getting the 6.4 due to we only tow a hand full of times a year and it's a daily driver only seeing 20-30 miles a day.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
On average, this truck will see 20-30 miles a day as well. I've driven the 6.4 with the 3:73 gears as was not overly impressed, but the 4:10 should wake it up some.
We drove two trucks with the 6.7 Cummins and it feels like it could really pull, but the engine revs slow in comparison to the gas. Not sure if I could get over that.

The payload is really what I need. The same 2500 truck with the 6.7 deisel is really payload limited compared to the gas as well. An additional 700 lbs can be a lot of wood! Also, it doesn't make a lot of sense the Cummins may be able to tow more, but the payload would be overloaded!

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
I was in the same predicament as you but my drive to work is even shorter at just over a mile. We were towing a 9,000 pound 37' bumper pull bunk house at the time. Due to the short trips for me we opted for the 6.4 hemi. The hemi did great with this camper, It had plenty of power to get the thing moving and keep it moving. It netted me nearly 10 mpg on a 300 mile one way trip. But the wife decided shortly after she wanted to get into a 5th wheel. So we ended up with a 37' 5th wheel bunk house at 12,000 pounds empty. The hemi did ok on the way home with it but definitely was working it. Once loaded, i was not happy with how the hemi was churning to keep the damn 5th wheel moving at 62 mph. We went on a relatively short trip of 100 miles one way along flat interstate and i became very un happy with the hemi. It lacked the power i needed to accelerate up hill or on a flat once around that 62 mph range. It also only netted me 6 mpg on my trip.

My personal opinion is the hemi was fantastic with the bumper pull, but once the added wind resistance of the 5th wheel was added the hemi struggled. Granted this is my opinion as well as my hemi had 3.73 gears and 4.10s would have made quite a diff i'm sure. But we opted to trade my 2015 6.4 Crew Cab short box hemi for a 2015 crew cab long cummins. Now that i've had my long box cummins, (not my first diesel) I wont part with either...

Long story short, with what you have i feel the 6.4 wold be great, but if you have any inclination to trade to a 5th with that truck I'd steer you more towards the diesel.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
On average, this truck will see 20-30 miles a day as well. I've driven the 6.4 with the 3:73 gears as was not overly impressed, but the 4:10 should wake it up some.
We drove two trucks with the 6.7 Cummins and it feels like it could really pull, but the engine revs slow in comparison to the gas. Not sure if I could get over that.

The payload is really what I need. The same 2500 truck with the 6.7 deisel is really payload limited compared to the gas as well. An additional 700 lbs can be a lot of wood! Also, it doesn't make a lot of sense the Cummins may be able to tow more, but the payload would be overloaded!

As far as payload goes I really only pay attention to the rear axle rating. While i am not suggesting you follow my lead i'm stating the fact that the rear end is the same thing as the hemi so in my opinion the numbers from the factory are more of a sales gimmick than safety issue...

I installed timbrens on my truck (2500) with 2200# of tongue weight from the camper and a load of fire wood from the front wall of the bed back to the hitch I sit with the back end just above level with a nice firm smooth ride.

OP
OP
P

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Avolnek,

Has the Cummins been fine for your driving needs? Does the truck warm up in the winter on short trips? Just curious. One dealer mentioned it would never heat up in the 9-10 miles I travel to work.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
On my trip to work and back, no, it takes a little longer to warm up. I have had it for a year and have had it at the dealer once to have a down stream nox sensor replaced is all. With the addition of the DEF i feel it really helped out on the driving habits like mine. The dealer commented they didn't like my driving pattern but admitted i wasn't the only one driving like this nor the worst one.

Is my driving good for it? no, not really. Will it hurt anything? Only thing i can see hurting would be the exhaust, and honestly as soon as it begins to cost me money (out of warranty) and i will just delete it and move on.

9 miles i feel will give it plenty of time to warm up, may not hit full operating temp but will get warm. I usually run my exhaust brake to aid in warm up time...

no troubles after my year of owning.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

Needs schmeeds, get what you want if you have the means. It just depends on how much pulling power you are willing to purchase and if the $1,395 up-charge for the 6.4L is worth the added 29 lb-ft ($48.10 per lb-ft) or the $8,995 up-charge for the Cummins is worth the extra 400 lb-ft ($22.48 per lb-ft).

As far as the rpm, the low rpm power in the Cummins allows for it's pulling power to be more usable in every gear versus the 6.4L. After 3rd gear, you can't really utilize the 6.4L 429 lb-ft because it would require you to be going too fast. On the other hand you can utilize the 800 lb-ft of the Cummins in every gear while traveling at normal speeds.

The payload is maxed out due the the 10,000 lb GVWR cap of all Class 2B(2500) trucks. Both the 6.4L and Cummins 2500's have the exact same rear axle and suspension so both can handle the same loads, but due to the 10,000 GVWR max of it's class, Ram is required by EPA certification and other vehicle regulations to lower the payload of the Cummins 2500 so its GVWR does not exceed 10,000 lbs. In Texas(and many other states) it does not matter what the manufacturer rating on the door is, but not exceeding GAWR or whatever GVWR you registered is what is in the rule books.

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I currently own a RAM 5.7 with 3.21 and 8-speed transmission and may add another truck for towing our camper.

My concerns with the diesel are below.

3. Dependable?

I also don't see a benefit of higher resale value. The Cummins is $9000 up front and I can imagine the $9000 advantage should be the same when trading up or selling.

Any thoughts?

I'm leaning toward the gas, as the truck will be a daily driver for myself in Michigan.

1. The cost isn't much different over gas. Unique is the fuel filter change every 15K miles.

2. No unless you get the cold weather package and plug it in at night plus run the grill cover. Diesels need to be worked.

3. Cummins is the definition of dependable.

The RAM diesels command a high resale value (as do the GM and Ford offerings) but there is no resale value realize when you fork out the additional $2,500 for the Aisin transmission. Have doubts, check with cars.com or other used vehicle sites, I was going to go used until I realized I could go new with full warranty for a few thousand more.

I'm paying $1.99 to $2.09 for diesel, look what gas is going for, $2.49 and up around the Detroit metroplex. I'm running my diesel as my daily driver right now.

I'm pulling more weight than you, around 15,000 pound fifth wheel RV. I also pull my tractor around, about 7,200 pounds. I've pulled the tractor with my 1500 3:21 eight speed and with the diesel. I recommend you go diesel, much less driver stress when pulling.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
FWIW the Cummins isn't 9000. In reality, it's more like 6000. The 6.4 Hemi is 1500 so that brings the difference down to 7500 and that's MSRP. You should be able to whack 15-20% off MSRP which brings the total difference down close to 6000.

I'm a Hemi owner and am happy but there are times I'd wished I got the diesel. In very rough terms, if you're towing over 10K I'd go diesel for sure. Not that the Hemi can't do it, the diesel just does it with less effort and screaming. Terrain also makes a lot of difference. I'm out west with lots of hills.

The payload thing is unfortunate since the more capable truck has much less. I agree with the others saying the axle weights are the most important thing to watch.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
FWIW the Cummins isn't 9000. In reality, it's more like 6000. The 6.4 Hemi is 1500 so that brings the difference down to 7500 and that's MSRP. You should be able to whack 15-20% off MSRP which brings the total difference down close to 6000.

I'm a Hemi owner and am happy but there are times I'd wished I got the diesel. In very rough terms, if you're towing over 10K I'd go diesel for sure. Not that the Hemi can't do it, the diesel just does it with less effort and screaming. Terrain also makes a lot of difference. I'm out west with lots of hills.

The payload thing is unfortunate since the more capable truck has much less. I agree with the others saying the axle weights are the most important thing to watch.

Great points...

You'll also notice many times you'll hear folk say they wished they had the power of the cummins and the cummins never look back on whether they should've gotten gas or not...

no it isn't for everyone and everyones situation, but you are truly the only who can decide that...

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I think if you have a diesel in colder climates then remote start is a must. I know during the winter if it is cold enough the truck will automatically kick on the exhaust brake after I remote start it to heat up quicker.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Yep, for me gas is the way to go, it suite me just find because I don't have any big to tow right now and when I do get my 5th Wheel it will be within my towing.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have a CTD and I don't have anything to tow.

I got the truck because it's taller (2500) and with 35" tires and such, I knew I'd want a little bit of power down the road.

I drive to Flagstaff Arizona alot from Chandler Arizona. Huge different in elevation and the mountain roads can at times be hard on a gas motor. Downshifted and high RPMS.

With a CTD, I have my cruise set and my exhaust brake and I never have to touch any pedals.. gas or brake.. the power is amazing and the exhaust brake keeps the speed down and while others are riding brakes and such... I am just cruising.

I did the CTD just for the enjoyment of the drive.

I have had a gas and drove those roads. It's night and day.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I have a CTD and I don't have anything to tow.

I got the truck because it's taller (2500) and with 35" tires and such, I knew I'd want a little bit of power down the road.

I drive to Flagstaff Arizona alot from Chandler Arizona. Huge different in elevation and the mountain roads can at times be hard on a gas motor. Downshifted and high RPMS.

With a CTD, I have my cruise set and my exhaust brake and I never have to touch any pedals.. gas or brake.. the power is amazing and the exhaust brake keeps the speed down and while others are riding brakes and such... I am just cruising.

I did the CTD just for the enjoyment of the drive.

I have had a gas and drove those roads. It's night and day.

I am the same way. I would still go for a diesel in an HD even if I didn't have something big to tow. Having a tuned diesel pulling you through the gears with hardly any throttle or engine rpm just gives me a rise every time. For me it is mostly about the boosted power and low end torque more than the fact it is a diesel engine. Same reason why I loved my tuned 530 lb-ft Ecoboost in my F150. In a half ton, I would choose a boosted gas engine like the 3.5L Ecoboost over the only diesel currently offered any day of the week simply due to the fact that it has more power and low end torque.

I keep trying to tell these guys that you don't have to have something big to tow to justify owning a diesel in an HD. Wanting one along with it's power and torque is all the justification you need.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
This thread has many good responses and I echo what everyone has said to this point. If you are only concerned with towing <10K lbs then the 6.4 is fantastic. It has done really well towing our double horse trailer with loaded dressing room, 4 people, 3 dogs, coolers etc. for payload (6500-8000lbs in the trailer depending on the trip).

Regarding campers, I don't know many people who downsize campers, they tend to go bigger and bigger.....if you remotely fall into that category I would think Cummins.

As for local commutes.......gas is easier to deal with but.......

I went from a decked out 7.3:L powerstroke making 350hp wheel to the 6.4L towing the same loads and I love the 6.4L. If I had to tow 10K+ regularly I would have opted for 4.10s if they could have been found when I bought, 10K+ with wind resistance of a 5th wheel and I would easily have gone Cummins and not looked back.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi

We are considering a Big Horn with 6.4 hemi & 4:10 gears. We tow our trailer 15% of the time each year and it is maxing out our 1500. Our 1500 tows well, but it still bounces some. We would keep it as well but, trade in a new Grand Cherokee. My wife likes the truck more. Our other option is with the Cummins 6.7. My concerns with the diesel are below.

3. Dependable?

Our trailer is around 8000lbs loaded, could be higher if towed wet with all the tanks full. But, we don't tow this way.

Any thoughts?

I have owed both a 2004 dodge 5.9 cummins diesel and now a 2016 dodge ram with the 6.4 hemi.IMHO could not justify the extra price of the diesel engine this time around and all of the the emissions crap scared me a little.My 5.9 diesel got between 18-22 mpg,s on the highway which was great mileage.I believe the 6.7 diesels don,t get anywhere near that mileage.Hence my decision to buy the 6.4 hemi.My gas mileage with the 6.4 with 3.73 gears is 15.0-16.3 highway with a VERY light foot.If I was pulling heavy loads on a monthly basis the diesel option would be a no brainer.Good luck on your choice. :favorites13:

Last edited: