6.4L HEMI accessories that Do or Do NOT work.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I'm really surprised the 6.4 market has not taken off. These parts have been out for months now, yet not many guys are running any of them. I do have about 30-40 2014 6.4 guys with Hemifever tuning and just as many with the ported throttle body, but only 1 customer that is running the headers. There are plenty of guys running the Mufflex kits, but that is strictly for sound...you dont typically gain any power from a muffler swap.

I'm going out on a limb and saying the headers aren't flying off the shelf because they are friggin' $1800 and without proven results no one is about to take a $2000 flyer on them and that doesn't include installation charges.....since most guys probably won't be tackling that job in their front yard.

I paid a whopping $400 or less for my stainless JBAs on my Tundra and they had proven results, and my custom exhaust ran me $700.......I am far from cheap but I'll take a possible flyer when parts are in the hundreds but I'm not about to do someone's R&D for $2000+......

But maybe I'm crazy so WTF do I know......lol

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I really wanna do the headers but $1800 isn't gonna happen first off, second I'm not going to do it until there's a set in stone way to tune the '15. I'm not sending off a ECU. If they can crack it on their computer, they can write a program to remotely crack it. But why would they? Just my humble worthless opinion... As soon as hemifever makes a tune for the 15 I'll be the first to let Matt strap my mega down and do pulls til we can't see straight!

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1800 for headers?!!! I had a hard time swallowing 760 for the ones in my barracuda!

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
1800 for headers?!!! I had a hard time swallowing 760 for the ones in my barracuda!

Lol, I guess I wasn't going out on a limb that much then regarding the steep price for unproven upgrades.....heck even if they were proven $1800+ install for like 25hp seems "meh" to me unless the factory manifolds start leaking etc. and this is a viable choice between new manifolds and headers......that was the situation with me and the Toyota a few years back.

Coming from the diesel world, the amount of money people drop on Hemis to get maybe 10-25hp at the wheels leaves me scratching my head. Granted it is apples and oranges, but RWHP is RWHP and for me towing, these gains don't seem large enough for the cost and potential warranty hassles....

By the time people do Intake (when one becomes available), tuner, headers, exhaust they will be thousands deep and "maybe" 40hp/40tq increase.....but obviously I'm guessing too since there isn't a database of dyno results yet.

Again, maybe I'm just insane but if I find myself needing more power than the 6.4L......I'll go back to diesel.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Lol, I guess I wasn't going out on a limb that much then regarding the steep price for unproven upgrades.....heck even if they were proven $1800+ install for like 25hp seems "meh" to me unless the factory manifolds start leaking etc. and this is a viable choice between new manifolds and headers......that was the situation with me and the Toyota a few years back.

Coming from the diesel world, the amount of money people drop on Hemis to get maybe 10-25hp at the wheels leaves me scratching my head. Granted it is apples and oranges, but RWHP is RWHP and for me towing, these gains don't seem large enough for the cost and potential warranty hassles....

By the time people do Intake (when one becomes available), tuner, headers, exhaust they will be thousands deep and "maybe" 40hp/40tq increase.....but obviously I'm guessing too since there isn't a database of dyno results yet.

Again, maybe I'm just insane but if I find myself needing more power than the 6.4L......I'll go back to diesel.

This is where I am too. Lets say the current mods plus a $300 intake. $3400 for I was guessing is a 50-ish HP(around 10%) gain. If I'm spending that kind of cheese, I'll just wait and see if someone releases a forced induction kit to make some real power.

Last edited:

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
This is where I am too. Lets say the current mods plus a $300 intake. $3400 for I was guessing is a 50-ish HP(around 10%) gain. If I'm spending that kind of cheese, I'll just wait and see if someone releases a forced induction kit to make some real power.

Makes sense. Also assuming you do all the wrenching yourself.

I spent roughly $3000 on taking my diesel from 215 RWHP to 350 with a similar increase in TQ.......that absolutely changed the truck and power to more modern levels.

With a rig putting out flywheel numbers of 410/429 or so like our 6.4s, with a factory warranty, if we are only talking about a 5-10% increase in power, that doesn't really dynamically change the truck in my humble opinion especially for that much scratch. And if someone really wanted huge power numbers in a 3/4 ton+......they should get an oil burner.

This isn't a knock on Moe's or the products there in any way, I just think to address their conundrum as to why more people haven't adopted the 6.4L mods, the answer lies in the "bang for the buck" area.

For many of us, these rigs are less than a year old and cost north of $45-55K, I ahve an extended warranty on mine for a reason......I'm not about to give Ram any reason to not cover something in the drive train just so I can get 25hp......

But again, WTF do I know.....

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
These mods are showing much more power than you are guessing. On a 5.7 Hemi truck, the custom tuning is making 30-35hp/tq to the wheels. Longtube headers make another 25-30hp/tq to the wheels, intake and TB adds close to 20hp/tq to the wheels.

I have a number of guys that dynod their 5.7's bone stock at 300hp/310tq, and they are now pushing 380-390hp/410-420tq to the wheels with just bolt on parts. You are talking gains of roughly 80-90hp/tq to the wheels from basic bolt on parts, and at half the cost of what a supercharger would cost.

I understand that not everyone is going to want to go this route, but if you want more power out of your truck, these are your options. They are proven mods on both the 5.7 trucks and the 6.4 cars, so I see no reason to doubt them working just as well on the 6.4 trucks. I have received feedback from customers running the tuning, and everyone has been very pleased. I can see people not wanting to spend the money on the longtubes, but a tuner is a must have mod IMO for any vehicle, gas or diesel.

webdogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC Laramie Longhorn
Engine
6.4L Hemi
These mods are showing much more power than you are guessing. On a 5.7 Hemi truck, the custom tuning is making 30-35hp/tq to the wheels. Longtube headers make another 25-30hp/tq to the wheels, intake and TB adds close to 20hp/tq to the wheels.

I have a number of guys that dynod their 5.7's bone stock at 300hp/310tq, and they are now pushing 380-390hp/410-420tq to the wheels with just bolt on parts. You are talking gains of roughly 80-90hp/tq to the wheels from basic bolt on parts, and at half the cost of what a supercharger would cost.

I understand that not everyone is going to want to go this route, but if you want more power out of your truck, these are your options. They are proven mods on both the 5.7 trucks and the 6.4 cars, so I see no reason to doubt them working just as well on the 6.4 trucks. I have received feedback from customers running the tuning, and everyone has been very pleased. I can see people not wanting to spend the money on the longtubes, but a tuner is a must have mod IMO for any vehicle, gas or diesel.

In regards to a tuner being a "must have mod for any vehicle", I've got to ask, isn't there some sort of risk of a tuner causing problems (whether immediate or down-the line?)

I've often considered buying a tuner for my Challenger, and would be very likely to if the TPMS system gets cracked/when I lift the truck, but never being around them, I do have concerns.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
In regards to a tuner being a "must have mod for any vehicle", I've got to ask, isn't there some sort of risk of a tuner causing problems (whether immediate or down-the line?)

I've often considered buying a tuner for my Challenger, and would be very likely to if the TPMS system gets cracked/when I lift the truck, but never being around them, I do have concerns.
I have tuned every vehicle I have owned. I've never had an issue with those trucks that was directly related to the tuning itself. Diesel tuners are notorious for damaging motors and transmissions simply because a diesel tuner can add upwards of 250hp/tq to the wheels. That kind of stress is always going to do harm to the factory motor and transmission. When you are looking at a gas tuner that gives in the ballpark of 30hp/tq to the wheels, you have nothing to worry about. These motors have knock sensors in place to make the computer pull timing if it ever detects knock, and as long as you are not street racing and pretending to be Ricky Bobby everywhere you go, the transmissions are holding up great as well.

As with any vehicle, as long as you don't abuse it, they will last. Hemiefevr has been tuning Hemi cars and trucks as long as anyone else in the country, so he knows how far he can push the tuning to both make great power and retain your reliability. I am so confident in this tuning that I even had him tune my wife's 2013 Grand Cherokee. Even she has commented on how much better the Jeep runs...more passing power, better gas mileage, and better drivability. Its a win/win.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have tuned every vehicle I have owned. I've never had an issue with those trucks that was directly related to the tuning itself. Diesel tuners are notorious for damaging motors and transmissions simply because a diesel tuner can add upwards of 250hp/tq to the wheels. That kind of stress is always going to do harm to the factory motor and transmission. When you are looking at a gas tuner that gives in the ballpark of 30hp/tq to the wheels, you have nothing to worry about. These motors have knock sensors in place to make the computer pull timing if it ever detects knock, and as long as you are not street racing and pretending to be Ricky Bobby everywhere you go, the transmissions are holding up great as well.

As with any vehicle, as long as you don't abuse it, they will last. Hemiefevr has been tuning Hemi cars and trucks as long as anyone else in the country, so he knows how far he can push the tuning to both make great power and retain your reliability. I am so confident in this tuning that I even had him tune my wife's 2013 Grand Cherokee. Even she has commented on how much better the Jeep runs...more passing power, better gas mileage, and better drivability. Its a win/win.

Great points; especially with regards to diesel tuning......there is so much power on tap that it is easy to exceed the breaking point of.....well, damn near everything, engine internals, blocks, transmissions, T/Cs, rear-ends, etc. Get the "start of ignition" timing wrong or pulse width while throwing a crap ton of fuel into a diesel and you have at best a ****** performing truck at worst a ventilated block.

Plus, with oil burners, monitoring EGTs especially in a tuned truck for towing is very important.....with N/A gassers.....to Hemi450hp's point, tuning is incredibly mild it appears from a "drivetrain stress" standpoint.

The only thing I worry about with any tuner or programmer is dicking around with all the sensors. I'm convinced this rig has more gizmos and sensors (especially in the Long Horn) than whatever spacecraft we landed on the moon. When tunes start blocking codes etc. from sensors I start to wonder if they will block a code that actually matters prior to me grenading something spendy.....

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

If we see the same 26-ish% gain, we're looking at over 500hp. I might be able to get behind that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
If we see the same 26-ish% gain, we're looking at over 500hp. I might be able to get behind that!

And that is where it comes back to proven dyno results.

It is not unheard of in the circles I was in with the oil burner to have a manufacturer or retailer of mods to provide the mods at or below cost to a small group of trusted individuals on a forum with the express purpose of using their rigs as test platforms complete with documented dyno runs etc. in order to build the marketing materials and "proof" required to show the before and after impact of said mods under controlled testing....ie. truck dyno before, dyno after, same fixed variables etc.

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
still no cold air intake available for the 6.4L??? Anyone found one yet?

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I looked over the weekend and found nothing.

No Vararam yet surprises me. I was guessing it would only need a new tube to the throttle body.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No Vararam yet surprises me. I was guessing it would only need a new tube to the throttle body.

When the 6.4 first came out a member claimed to have used a prototype for the 6.4 but all they did was give him one for the 5.7 so it never worked. I wanted to keep mine to see if I could get a new tube to adapt it but the throttle body was at more of a angle than I thought so I never tried.

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
our 6.4s dont have that complex active air intake system like the CTD do they? Its strange......

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine

The 5.7 throttle body faces up where the 6.4 throttle body faces towards the passenger side of the motor. With the placement of the 6.4 TB and the direction it faces, Vararam would have to build a completely new kit for the 6.4, and I just don't see any way possible to utilize the large airbox that they use for the 5.7's. The intake manufacturers are going to have to start from scratch on the 6.4 which is why it is taking so long.

And to get back onto my previous posts, a tuner will blow away any gains felt by an intake. Tuning should be #1 on everyone's mod list if you are looking for performance gains. You will gain more from the tuner alone than you will from an intake, catback exhaust, and ported throttle body combined.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The 5.7 throttle body faces up where the 6.4 throttle body faces towards the passenger side of the motor. With the placement of the 6.4 TB and the direction it faces, Vararam would have to build a completely new kit for the 6.4, and I just don't see any way possible to utilize the large airbox that they use for the 5.7's. The intake manufacturers are going to have to start from scratch on the 6.4 which is why it is taking so long.

And to get back onto my previous posts, a tuner will blow away any gains felt by an intake. Tuning should be #1 on everyone's mod list if you are looking for performance gains. You will gain more from the tuner alone than you will from an intake, catback exhaust, and ported throttle body combined.

Out of curiosity, what are the gains expected from just tuning with say an 87 octane tune and a 89 octane tune?